Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Microsoft doing secret Dimdows updates (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582080-re-microsoft-doing-secret-dimdows-updates.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-25-2007 03:32 AM

Re: Microsoft doing secret Dimdows updates

Here's another idea
<http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/coincidence_wga_failures_followed_windows_update_3 81.html>:
could these silent self-updates of Dimdows Update have been a factor in the
recent Dimdows Genuine Disadvantage spurious-failures episode?

Geoff 09-25-2007 04:14 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Here's another idea
> <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/coincidence_wga_failures_followed_windows_update_3 81.html>:
> could these silent self-updates of Dimdows Update have been a factor
> in the recent Dimdows Genuine Disadvantage spurious-failures episode?

Don't you find that your apparent main focus in life seems a little twisted
?

geoff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-27-2007 09:28 AM

Re: Microsoft doing secret Dimdows updates

Just to rub salt in the wound, it turns out those secret Dimdows Update
updates can bork your system to the point that _all_ subsequent updates
will fail to install properly: <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=817>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-29-2007 06:49 AM

In message <fdft35$9t5$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Just to rub salt in the wound, it turns out those secret Dimdows Update
> updates can bork your system to the point that _all_ subsequent updates
> will fail to install properly: <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=817>.

Microsoft admits there is a problem
<http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9039 681&intsrc=hm_list>.
Has to do with the XP repair rolling things back to an earlier version of
Dimdows Update that didn't have one shareable library that was added later.
Thus a subsequent re-update of Dimdows Update fails to correctly "register"
this additional library, so the update mechanism stops working.

Question: why do shareable libraries need individual "registering" before
they can work? There is no equivalent need to go through this rigmarole
with Linux shareable libraries as far as I'm aware.