Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   router dropout (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581990-router-dropout.html)

tjw131@yahoo.co.nz 09-11-2007 06:06 AM

router dropout
 
H i
netgear dg834g router
4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
the noise but not the drop outs.
The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
annoying


Richard 09-11-2007 08:17 AM

Re: router dropout
 
tjw131@yahoo.co.nz wrote:
> H i
> netgear dg834g router
> 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
> My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
> to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
> I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
> the noise but not the drop outs.
> The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
> annoying


Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
dropout at peak times like that.

Shane 09-11-2007 08:25 AM

Re: router dropout
 
tjw131@yahoo.co.nz wrote:

> H i
> netgear dg834g router
> 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
> My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
> to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
> I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
> the noise but not the drop outs.
> The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
> annoying


Contact Xtra, it sounds like a sync issue (I had the same thing)
They will put something on your line for a short period of time to diagnose
the problem, then change the port you are on.

--
It is only two weeks into the term that, in a calculus class, a student
raises his hand and asks: "Will we ever need this stuff in real life?"
The professor gently smiles at him and says: "Of course not - if your real
life will consist of flipping hamburgers at MacDonald's!"


EMB 09-11-2007 09:10 AM

Re: router dropout
 
Richard wrote:
> tjw131@yahoo.co.nz wrote:
>> H i
>> netgear dg834g router
>> 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
>> My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
>> to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
>> I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
>> the noise but not the drop outs.
>> The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
>> annoying

>
> Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
> dropout at peak times like that.


I'll second that. The only sure way to get resolution is to log a voice
fault call with Telecom - tell them you can often hear someone else
faintly on your line.

Richard 09-11-2007 09:27 AM

Re: router dropout
 
EMB wrote:

>> Excessive crosstalk from other pairs would be the usual reason for a
>> dropout at peak times like that.

>
> I'll second that. The only sure way to get resolution is to log a voice
> fault call with Telecom - tell them you can often hear someone else
> faintly on your line.


The problem is they want you to unplug all the other phones and stuff
from the line and use a corded phone.

Alcatel warned them of this happening on their **** network, yet they
made full speed available anyway.

What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl here
is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it

EMB 09-11-2007 09:37 AM

Re: router dropout
 
Richard wrote:

> What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
> lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
> adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
> hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl here
> is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it


They don't avoid adjacent pairs now and haven't for years.

My line runs a happy 4+Mb/s except when it develops a fault (usually due
to water ingress in the street). I know for certain that *all* the
pairs in my street are in use and >50% of them carry ADSL. The whole
crosstalk issue was overhyped by Telecom as a justification for them
dragging the chain in providing real broadband.

Richard 09-11-2007 09:49 AM

Re: router dropout
 
EMB wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> What the hell will happen when other people put their gear on the same
>> lines and have no coordination between them about trying to not use
>> adjacent pairs etc, well who knows. I'm just lucky that living among a
>> hell of a lot of old and poor people means that the uptake of adsl
>> here is low, so my line is relatively clean still. all 2.5 megabits of it

>
> They don't avoid adjacent pairs now and haven't for years.
>
> My line runs a happy 4+Mb/s except when it develops a fault (usually due
> to water ingress in the street). I know for certain that *all* the
> pairs in my street are in use and >50% of them carry ADSL. The whole
> crosstalk issue was overhyped by Telecom as a justification for them
> dragging the chain in providing real broadband.


they do if you have constant dropouts, and high error rates etc, I see
the sync speed here go up and down a little during the evenings, I hope
that when birkdale gets adsl2+ that the power controls will reduce the
noise somewhat, but I am not holding my breath.

Apparantly down here they install loads of adsl that ends up not being
used and uninstalled because of the distance.

Jekyll and Hyde 09-13-2007 08:47 AM

Re: router dropout
 
<tjw131@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1189490791.309404.83910@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
>H i
> netgear dg834g router
> 4 desktops 3 laptops xtra go large 2 teenages.
> My problem is that lately at approx 5.30 to 6.00 it loses connection
> to the exchange,this goes on for a couple of hours each night.
> I have replaced the filters as the line was quite noisey this did help
> the noise but not the drop outs.
> The router logs says LCP down then it comes back up quickly but it is
> annoying


I had the same problem for awhile. After weeks of frustration and help desk
calls a Telecom contractor was sent out.

His diagnosis was overloading at the exchange. Two hours after he left the
problem went away and I've never experienced it again.

I didn't even get a follow up mail or phone call on the solution or outcome
of the job.

J&H.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.