Velocity Reviews

-   -   Old NZ Post Office phone, Digitel 2000 - looking for circuit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581975-old-nz-post-office-phone-digitel-2000-looking-for-circuit.html)

John S 09-09-2007 01:25 AM

Old NZ Post Office phone, Digitel 2000 - looking for circuit

It's a bit of a long shot but I wonder if anyone frequenting this group
would know where I might get a circuit diagram for this old NZ Post Office
phone.

It's a Digitel 2000, manufactured by KIRK (maybe a Swedish company)?

It was an early push-button phone and has a built-in speaker (but it
appears you can't use it as a speaker-phone as there's no built-in
microphone in the base).

There's a volume control in the handset, allowing the sound to be boosted
for the hard of hearing. My parents bought it for this reason, via the
Hearing Association in Rotorua (around 20 years ago).

It has the NZPO initials and logo designed into the back plate, so I assume
a batch would have been specially manufactured for the NZPO.

The thing is well built and looks as though it should last for 1000 years,
but the sound level in the earpiece is a bit weak and I'd like to see if I
can fix it.

Any leads appreciated (I've tried Googling to no avail - the closest I came
was to find details of a patent application lodged in USA in 1891 for the
electronic ringing tone generator built into the unit).

(cross posted to nz.comp - follow up set to nz.tech)

Cheers,

John S

Malcolm 09-10-2007 02:11 AM

Re: Old NZ Post Office phone, Digitel 2000 - looking for circuit

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:25:41 +1200
John S <oaken@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It's a bit of a long shot but I wonder if anyone frequenting this
> group would know where I might get a circuit diagram for this old NZ
> Post Office phone.
>
> It's a Digitel 2000, manufactured by KIRK (maybe a Swedish company)?
>
> It was an early push-button phone and has a built-in speaker (but it
> appears you can't use it as a speaker-phone as there's no built-in
> microphone in the base).
>
> There's a volume control in the handset, allowing the sound to be
> boosted for the hard of hearing. My parents bought it for this
> reason, via the Hearing Association in Rotorua (around 20 years ago).
>
> It has the NZPO initials and logo designed into the back plate, so I
> assume a batch would have been specially manufactured for the NZPO.
>
> The thing is well built and looks as though it should last for 1000
> years, but the sound level in the earpiece is a bit weak and I'd like
> to see if I can fix it.
>
> Any leads appreciated (I've tried Googling to no avail - the closest
> I came was to find details of a patent application lodged in USA in
> 1891 for the electronic ringing tone generator built into the unit).
>
> (cross posted to nz.comp - follow up set to nz.tech)
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Hi
An import by Alcatel, played with many of them. Most of that stuff
got tossed or possibly sent to the Telecom Repair contractor in Hamilton
when we shifted from Upper Hutt to Wellington.
Can you send me an email and will see if one of my old colleagues can
put you in touch with someone.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

Malcolm 09-10-2007 02:18 AM

Re: Old NZ Post Office phone, Digitel 2000 - looking for circuit

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:11:49 -0500
Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:25:41 +1200
> John S <oaken@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > It's a bit of a long shot but I wonder if anyone frequenting this
> > group would know where I might get a circuit diagram for this old NZ
> > Post Office phone.
> >
> > It's a Digitel 2000, manufactured by KIRK (maybe a Swedish company)?
> >
> > It was an early push-button phone and has a built-in speaker (but it
> > appears you can't use it as a speaker-phone as there's no built-in
> > microphone in the base).
> >
> > There's a volume control in the handset, allowing the sound to be
> > boosted for the hard of hearing. My parents bought it for this
> > reason, via the Hearing Association in Rotorua (around 20 years
> > ago).
> >
> > It has the NZPO initials and logo designed into the back plate, so I
> > assume a batch would have been specially manufactured for the NZPO.
> >
> > The thing is well built and looks as though it should last for 1000
> > years, but the sound level in the earpiece is a bit weak and I'd
> > like to see if I can fix it.
> >
> > Any leads appreciated (I've tried Googling to no avail - the closest
> > I came was to find details of a patent application lodged in USA in
> > 1891 for the electronic ringing tone generator built into the unit).
> >
> > (cross posted to nz.comp - follow up set to nz.tech)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John S

> Hi
> An import by Alcatel, played with many of them. Most of that stuff
> got tossed or possibly sent to the Telecom Repair contractor in
> Hamilton when we shifted from Upper Hutt to Wellington.
> Can you send me an email and will see if one of my old colleagues can
> put you in touch with someone.

oops forgot to sat, they do work as a speaker phone. The is a mercury
switch in the handset to cut the microphone out to prevent feedback if
the volume is up, just need to lay it on it's back...

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

John S 09-10-2007 09:27 AM

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:11:49 -0500, Malcolm wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:25:41 +1200
> John S <oaken@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It's a bit of a long shot but I wonder if anyone frequenting this
>> group would know where I might get a circuit diagram for this old NZ
>> Post Office phone.

SNIP
>> Any leads appreciated (I've tried Googling to no avail - the closest
>> I came was to find details of a patent application lodged in USA in
>> 1891 for the electronic ringing tone generator built into the unit).
>>
>> (cross posted to nz.comp - follow up set to nz.tech)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John S

> Hi
> An import by Alcatel, played with many of them. Most of that stuff
> got tossed or possibly sent to the Telecom Repair contractor in Hamilton
> when we shifted from Upper Hutt to Wellington.
> Can you send me an email and will see if one of my old colleagues can
> put you in touch with someone.

Thanks Malcolm - have done that (assuming I de-munged your email address
correctly)

Cheers,

John S

manorconcierge 01-28-2011 01:40 AM

Hi John. I had one of these Digitel phones years ago and sold it. I know it's been three years since you've posted to this thread but hoping you may still see this or be advised of it. I'm looking to buy one again if I can find one but know it's a fairly futile exercise without someone in the know. I went overseas and sold a lot of gear before going I'm happy with either the fawn or the chocolate brown but I know it's a long shot due to the age of the handset. Are you able to assist in locating one? Thanks, Brayden. Auckland