Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   external hard drives (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581960-external-hard-drives.html)

darkknight 09-05-2007 10:44 PM

external hard drives
 


Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179

or can recommend one?

TIA.

Greg House 09-06-2007 12:51 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:44:26 +1200, darkknight <darkknight.21@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
>Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>
>or can recommend one?
>
>TIA.




Why not get a Real Brand like the Seagate Freeagent 320g at around $200 Plus 5 year warrantee.

I think mine was some $219 from DSE as a special..





thingy 09-06-2007 01:14 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
darkknight wrote:
>
> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>
> or can recommend one?
>
> TIA.


I would buy a seagate.

regards

thing

Max Burke 09-06-2007 07:45 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
> In news: darkknight Scribbled:
> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179


> or can recommend one?


Seagate:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3186_7-...00036_5256097_

NexStar: GX USB2 external Hard Drive enclosure:
http://www.vantecusa.com/products/ne...nst-370gx.html

I have 2 with 400GB SeaGate drives in each, used for backups and iPod/iTunes
Library backups.

Doubled my USB2 ports as well.






--
mlvburke@xxxxxxxx.nz
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke


Greg House 09-06-2007 11:06 PM

Re: external hard drives
 
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:20 +1200, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>darkknight wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>>
>> or can recommend one?
>>
>> TIA.

>
>Get a seperate drive and case,
>
>Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am sure they
>are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete drive that you
>can never put into a computer in the future, and you will be able to
>find larger drives to put in the case in the future.




No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.



John 09-07-2007 02:00 AM

Re: external hard drives
 

"darkknight" <darkknight.21@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f7cud3pb14vg56cgip8iiogireke38tm3d@4ax.com...
>
>
> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>
> or can recommend one?
>
> TIA.


You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a sata
seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is then as fast
as an internal drive.



darkknight 09-07-2007 03:55 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <ghouse@yabadabado.cnn
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:20 +1200, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>darkknight wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>>>
>>> or can recommend one?
>>>
>>> TIA.

>>
>>Get a seperate drive and case,
>>
>>Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am sure they
>>are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete drive that you
>>can never put into a computer in the future, and you will be able to
>>find larger drives to put in the case in the future.

>
>
>
>No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
>


I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.

Thanks guys.

~misfit~ 09-07-2007 03:57 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
John wrote:
> "darkknight" <darkknight.21@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f7cud3pb14vg56cgip8iiogireke38tm3d@4ax.com...
> >
> >
> > Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
> >
> > or can recommend one?
> >
> > TIA.

>
> You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a
> sata seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is
> then as fast as an internal drive.


I agree wholeheartedly. Anyone considering an external drive should be
looking to eSATA. PCI cards that support it can be had for around $NZ50 and,
as you say, the drive is then as fast as an internal drive and can be booted
from etc.

In fact eSATA is an excellent option for cramped/hot cases where an external
drive rack can be used with a slow, quiet fan if needed.
--
TTFN.

Shaun.



~misfit~ 09-07-2007 04:40 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
darkknight wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:06:24 +1200, Greg House <ghouse@yabadabado.cnn
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:20 +1200, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > > darkknight wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard
> > > > drive
> > > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
> > > >
> > > > or can recommend one?
> > > >
> > > > TIA.
> > >
> > > Get a seperate drive and case,
> > >
> > > Im not aware of any USB cases that take sata drives, but I am
> > > sure they are out there, that way you are not getting an obsolete
> > > drive that you can never put into a computer in the future, and
> > > you will be able to find larger drives to put in the case in the
> > > future.

> >
> >
> >
> > No the Seagate Freeagent is the best was 5 year warrantee.
> >

>
> I got a Seagate Freeagent 250 GB for $179 from DSE.
>
> Thanks guys.


Yeah, the price is good. I personally prefer the Free Agent Pro, it's dearer
but has the eSATA option as well as USB.
--
TTFN.

Shaun.



Greg House 09-07-2007 05:58 AM

Re: external hard drives
 
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:00:53 +1200, "John" <johnboy@gmail.remove.com> wrote:

>
>"darkknight" <darkknight.21@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:f7cud3pb14vg56cgip8iiogireke38tm3d@4ax.com.. .
>>
>>
>> Is anyone familiar with the Lacie Porsche 320 GB external hard drive
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=353179
>>
>> or can recommend one?
>>
>> TIA.

>
>You are best to get a eSATA / USB2.0 drive enclosure, and then add a sata
>seagtate hardrive, which come with a 5 year warranty. This is then as fast
>as an internal drive.
>




About 5 times slower due to the speed of USB 2.00

Seagate do a eSata drive in there Freeagent Pro Plus there is a model with Firewire interface
plus USB 2.0


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.