Velocity Reviews

-   -   Days of 32-bit are numbered (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581918-days-of-32-bit-are-numbered.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 08-31-2007 01:10 AM

Days of 32-bit are numbered

As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually makes
this worse.

The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
problems for Windows users.

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>

Allistar 08-31-2007 01:23 AM

Re: Days of 32-bit are numbered

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
> taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
> 32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually
> makes this worse.
>
> The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
> problems for Windows users.

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>

I've been running 99% 64bit for ages (the only things not 64bit have not
been compiled from source, which is VMWare and an NVidia driver).

Allistar.

Will Spencer 08-31-2007 02:54 AM

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:10:26 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
> taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
> 32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually makes
> this worse.
>
> The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
> problems for Windows users.
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>

Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no problems.

-ws

Will Spencer 08-31-2007 02:57 AM

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:23:20 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
>> taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
>> 32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually
>> makes this worse.
>>
>> The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
>> problems for Windows users.
>>

> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>
>
> I've been running 99% 64bit for ages (the only things not 64bit have not
> been compiled from source, which is VMWare and an NVidia driver).
>
> Allistar.

The nvidia driver for my 8800gts is 64bit.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 08-31-2007 04:24 AM

Re: Days of 32-bit are numbered

In message <1lqs61a3kj14x.12b5wa1khtb3g$.dlg@40tude.net>, Will Spencer
wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:10:26 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
>> taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
>> 32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually
>> makes this worse.
>>
>> The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
>> problems for Windows users.

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>

> Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no problems.

Sure, I believe you.

Jonathan Walker 08-31-2007 06:29 AM

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:54:02 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:

> Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no problems.

What non M$ applications do you have installed?

--
Jonathan Walker

Will Spencer 09-01-2007 05:37 AM

On 31 Aug 2007 18:29:37 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:54:02 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
>
>> Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no problems.

> What non M$ applications do you have installed?

A lot.

-ws

Will Spencer 09-01-2007 05:40 AM

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:24:04 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <1lqs61a3kj14x.12b5wa1khtb3g$.dlg@40tude.net>, Will Spencer
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:10:26 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> As the on-board RAM on graphics cards gets larger and larger, they are
>>> taking bigger and bigger chunks out of the address space available to
>>> 32-bit applications. Vista's virtual graphics memory feature actually
>>> makes this worse.
>>>
>>> The answer, of course, is to move to 64-bit. But that causes its own
>>> problems for Windows users.
>>>

> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html>
>>
>> Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no problems.

> Sure, I believe you.

Actually I lie, I just remembered some old software I used for doing my GST
didn't work on 64bit Vista (but it did on my notebook running 32bit Vista).

Apart from that, no problems.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-01-2007 06:33 AM

In message <1nvm9c1wt4dr$.62anjuearqrz$.dlg@40tude.net>, Will Spencer wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2007 18:29:37 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:54:02 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry hippy, I've been running Vista 64bit since release with no
>>> problems.

>> What non M$ applications do you have installed?

> A lot.

How many of them 64-bit?

Hardware drivers? Internet Explorer plug-ins? (Assuming you use IE.)

Will Spencer 09-03-2007 05:26 AM

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:33:27 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <1nvm9c1wt4dr$.62anjuearqrz$.dlg@40tude.net>, Will Spencer wrote:

>>> What non M$ applications do you have installed?

>> A lot.

> How many of them 64-bit?

Non MS just BOINC (I think). There is a seprate "Program Files" folder for
32 and 64bit applications.

> Hardware drivers?

Don't know but there is also a seperate 32bit and 64bit bit folder for
system files and drivers.

>Internet Explorer plug-ins? (Assuming you use IE.)

I can choose to run IE 32 or 64bit. Flash doesn't work on 64bit IE although
there's supposed to be a 64bit version coming.

-ws