Velocity Reviews

-   -   getting xtra email to work on Netscape Communicator 4.79 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581852-getting-xtra-email-to-work-on-netscape-communicator-4-79-a.html)

Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com 08-23-2007 05:01 AM

getting xtra email to work on Netscape Communicator 4.79

Anyone been able to get this to work?

New settings are supposed to be.

POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465

I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them. It was
working fine until this yahoo-bubble crap. I've signed up (which is
how I found out about new settings), but still can't get it to work. I
can get but not send mail at persent.

none 08-23-2007 05:05 AM

Re: getting xtra email to work on Netscape Communicator 4.79

Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com wrote:
> Anyone been able to get this to work?

Not that I agree with Xtra's changes or this storm associated with them
- but realistically, you should be upgrading your software.

NS4.79 isn't really equipped for todays interweb.

Jonathan Walker 08-23-2007 05:07 AM

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com wrote:

> New settings are supposed to be.
>
> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
>
> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

Both are non-standard port settings.

They will break many applications that expect default port settings.

--
Jonathan Walker

Shane 08-23-2007 05:13 AM

Jonathan Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:01:32 -0700, Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> New settings are supposed to be.
>>
>> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
>> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
>>
>> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

> Both are non-standard port settings.
>
> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.

port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl
port 465 is the standard port for smtp over ssl

$ grep 465 /etc/services
ssmtp 465/tcp smtps # SMTP over SSL
$ grep 995 /etc/services
pop3s 995/tcp # POP-3 over SSL
pop3s 995/udp

--
Q: What is very old, used by farmers, and obeys the fundamental theorem of
arithmetic?

Jonathan Walker 08-23-2007 06:23 AM

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:13:56 +1200, Shane wrote:

>>> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them.

>> Both are non-standard port settings.
>>
>> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
>>

> port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl port 465 is the standard
> port for smtp over ssl

Yes - but they're not the standard ports used for POP and SMTP as used by
the majority.

--
Jonathan Walker

Shane 08-23-2007 06:26 AM

Jonathan Walker wrote:

>>> Both are non-standard port settings.
>>>
>>> They will break many applications that expect default port settings.
>>>

>> port 995 is the standard port for pop over ssl port 465 is the standard
>> port for smtp over ssl

> Yes - but they're not the standard ports used for POP and SMTP as used by
> the majority.

*shakes head*
FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail (the
clients I have set up have not had to change)
Anytime you want to learn something let the group know.
--
Q: What do you get when you cross a mosquito with a rock climber?
A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector and a scalar.

Jonathan Walker 08-23-2007 06:28 AM

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:

> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

--
Jonathan Walker

Shane 08-23-2007 06:34 AM

Jonathan Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

OK numbnuts, what do you think POP3 over SSL and SMTP over SSL mean?
--
Q: What did the constipated mathematician do?
A: He worked it out with a pencil!

XPD 08-23-2007 07:23 AM

"Jonathan Walker" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:26:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> FYI they are the same ports as those used previously by XTRA for mail

> Be that as it may. They are still not the regular POP and SMTP ports.

Theyre standard for those ISPs that use SSL.
IHUG use to have SSL, dont know if they still do tho.

Rob S 08-23-2007 07:40 AM

Re: getting xtra email to work on Netscape Communicator 4.79

Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com wrote:
> Anyone been able to get this to work?
>
> New settings are supposed to be.
>
> POP: pop3.xtra.co.nz, port 995
> SMTP: send.xtra.co.nz, port 465
>
> I've no idea about these port settings and how to check them. It was
> working fine until this yahoo-bubble crap. I've signed up (which is
> how I found out about new settings), but still can't get it to work. I
> can get but not send mail at persent.

I doubt anyone in this group remembers how to setup ns4, except maybe
Woger, who seems to be going backwards lately.

Try the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news

--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

You know when you've been online too long when...You say BRB because
you're going somewhere.