Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   article discusing PSUs.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581842-article-discusing-psus.html)

thingy 08-22-2007 12:51 AM

article discusing PSUs....
 
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html

Lots of useful info IMHO....

regards

Thing

~misfit~ 08-22-2007 01:34 AM

Re: article discusing PSUs....
 
thingy wrote:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html
>
> Lots of useful info IMHO....
>
> regards
>
> Thing


Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.
--
TTFN.

Shaun.



thingy 08-22-2007 02:48 AM

Re: article discusing PSUs....
 
~misfit~ wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html
>>
>> Lots of useful info IMHO....
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

>
> Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.


Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
them it is not big enough.

regards

Thing

~misfit~ 08-22-2007 05:19 AM

Re: article discusing PSUs....
 
thingy wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > thingy wrote:
> > > http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html
> > >
> > > Lots of useful info IMHO....

> >
> > Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

>
> Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
> hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few
> years....ie if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in
> particular sold by them it is not big enough.
>
> regards
>
> Thing


Yeah, it's easy to get sucked into the on-selling conveyor. Having hard
facts makes it easier to save money and still have peace of mind.

Cheers,
--
TTFN.

Shaun.



Peter Huebner 08-22-2007 03:07 PM

Re: article discusing PSUs....
 
In article <uoksp4-hn2.ln1@news.vuw.ac.nz>, thingy@not.here.commy says...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > thingy wrote:
> >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html
> >>
> >> Lots of useful info IMHO....
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Thing

> >
> > Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

>
> Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
> hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
> if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
> them it is not big enough.
>
> regards
>
> Thing
>


It's ridiculous what I sometimes see touted about. I recently used an online
calculator for a core2duo cpu, 2 harddrives, 2 optical drives, ge8800gts video
card and 2 pci cards and came in at just over 300Watt. So my 425 Enermax is
good for a few years yet ;-) All this nonsense about 600W power supplies ....

-P.

--
=========================================
firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

thingy 08-22-2007 08:44 PM

Re: article discusing PSUs....
 
Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <uoksp4-hn2.ln1@news.vuw.ac.nz>, thingy@not.here.commy says...
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> thingy wrote:
>>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...ies/index.html
>>>>
>>>> Lots of useful info IMHO....
>>>>
>>>> regards
>>>>
>>>> Thing
>>> Thanks, looks good, I'll read it now.

>> Interesting in light of discussions I had / have had with vendors of
>> hardware and in particular graphics cards over the last few years....ie
>> if it is not the biggest PSU listed for sale and in particular sold by
>> them it is not big enough.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

>
> It's ridiculous what I sometimes see touted about. I recently used an online
> calculator for a core2duo cpu, 2 harddrives, 2 optical drives, ge8800gts video
> card and 2 pci cards and came in at just over 300Watt. So my 425 Enermax is
> good for a few years yet ;-) All this nonsense about 600W power supplies ....
>
> -P.
>


yep....I have an enermax whisper 650watt dual SLI and the vendor had the
audacity to say I needed a 750watt unit....I specifically went for over
kill at the time knowing I'd almost certainly only have one graphics
card but be running a scsi raid setup....

For my second machine I dont know what to do, 600~650 seems heaps but
for a bit more $ a 750 or 800 would shut any vendor up........well
maybe....The gigabyte PSUs look very neat....talking to them via USB is
a way cool idea.....not available here yet, but i think that is going to
be my next unit around Xmas time or something....

regards

Thing


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.