Velocity Reviews

-   -   5000 free phone lines from Orcon (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581767-5000-free-phone-lines-from-orcon.html)

Squiggle 08-10-2007 12:47 PM

5000 free phone lines from Orcon

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/Article511.phtml

the abridged version..
20Gb Dsl plan
Unlimited calling within NZ (landlines)
$80/month

RL 08-10-2007 07:11 PM

Re: 5000 free phone lines from Orcon

Squiggle wrote:
> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/Article511.phtml
>
> the abridged version..
> 20Gb Dsl plan
> Unlimited calling within NZ (landlines)
> $80/month

So, in other words, it is no cheaper than what we were getting from Telecom.

Looking at their phone charges, it is $44.95 a month for the basic phone
service, $59.95 per month for a few extras, and $40 more per month if
you want unlimited national AND international calls to 30 destinations,
with a one hour cap! This all on top of your Internet charges.

Meanwhile, you can go to 2Talk, and get a VoIP account with unlimited
calls to 40 international destinations, more features, and no idiotic
call length caps, for $30 per month. Sure, you need to use your Internet
connection for this, but given the amount due to Telecom after the
unbundling is only about $20 per month per account, how the hell can
Orcon be justifying $99.95 for a comparable phone service?

RL

Craig Whitmore 08-10-2007 09:37 PM

Re: 5000 free phone lines from Orcon

> So, in other words, it is no cheaper than what we were getting from
> Telecom.
>
> Looking at their phone charges, it is $44.95 a month for the basic phone
> service, $59.95 per month for a few extras, and $40 more per month if you
> want unlimited national AND international calls to 30 destinations, with a
> one hour cap! This all on top of your Internet charges.

I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans. the
new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to have and
are on Orcon's website now.

> Meanwhile, you can go to 2Talk, and get a VoIP account with unlimited
> calls to 40 international destinations, more features, and no idiotic call
> length caps, for $30 per month. Sure, you need to use your Internet
> connection for this, but given the amount due to Telecom after the
> unbundling is only about $20 per month per account, how the hell can Orcon
> be justifying $99.95 for a comparable phone service?

You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use your
VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are before naked
DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and before they offer VOIP
so prices are coming down in the future.

Thanks

RL 08-10-2007 10:26 PM

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans. the
> new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to have and
> are on Orcon's website now.

I most certainly did read it.

> You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use your
> VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are before naked
> DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and before they offer VOIP
> so prices are coming down in the future.

I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
exceed the limits.

Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
$45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
over-priced Orcon really is.

I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
free and don't count towards this.

RL

collector«NZ 08-10-2007 11:29 PM

RL wrote:
> Craig Whitmore wrote:
>> I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans.
>> the new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to
>> have and are on Orcon's website now.

> I most certainly did read it.
>
>> You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use
>> your VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are
>> before naked DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and
>> before they offer VOIP so prices are coming down in the future.

> I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
> not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
> for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
> are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
> exceed the limits.
>
> Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
> extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
> national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
> international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
> $45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
> compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
> more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
> international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
> over-priced Orcon really is.
>
> I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
> international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
> free and don't count towards this.
>
> RL

I think a greater concern here (not to say there is anything wrong with
Orcons plans) is how many customers realize that they loose the
protection of the Kiwi share the minute they take up line provision from
anyone else!

This means that the charges can vary as the provider feels inclined, and
there is no protection other than voting with your feet and going back
to Telescum. That of course raises the question are telescum obliged to
take you back as a customer!

Mutley 08-11-2007 03:07 AM

Squiggle <squiggle@in.the.sand> wrote:

>http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/Article511.phtml
>
>the abridged version..
>20Gb Dsl plan
>Unlimited calling within NZ (landlines)
>$80/month

I wonder what their 20Gig a month plan is?? Zero Shock or full 20Gig
no questions asked??

Mutley 08-11-2007 03:09 AM

collector«NZ <collector.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

>RL wrote:
>> Craig Whitmore wrote:
>>> I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans.
>>> the new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to
>>> have and are on Orcon's website now.

>> I most certainly did read it.
>>
>>> You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use
>>> your VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are
>>> before naked DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and
>>> before they offer VOIP so prices are coming down in the future.

>> I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
>> not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
>> for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
>> are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
>> exceed the limits.
>>
>> Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
>> extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
>> national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
>> international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
>> $45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
>> compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
>> more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
>> international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
>> over-priced Orcon really is.
>>
>> I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
>> international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
>> free and don't count towards this.
>>
>> RL

>I think a greater concern here (not to say there is anything wrong with
>Orcons plans) is how many customers realize that they loose the
>protection of the Kiwi share the minute they take up line provision from
>anyone else!
>
>This means that the charges can vary as the provider feels inclined, and
>there is no protection other than voting with your feet and going back
>to Telescum. That of course raises the question are telescum obliged to
>take you back as a customer!

I think that the Kiwi Share is dead in the water with LLU and naked
DSL who ever you stay or go with..

Craig Whitmore 08-11-2007 03:21 AM

Re: 5000 free phone lines from Orcon

> I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles, not
> the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free for 12
> months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls are a
> maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they exceed
> the limits.

I am not talking for Orcon, but for myself

> I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
> international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
> free and don't count towards this.

All true, but you are talking about a VOIP service compared to a PSTN
service which really cannot be compared at the moment. Your power goes off ,
no phone unless you add on your end a UPS. 111 calls? Its a best effort
service. You are limited to your DSL or whatever you run it over which may
or not be good.+ other factors.

If you are with IHUG for example you may pay $41 for phone line, $30 for
broadband 1 plan, + your $15 for 2talk500 via 2talk for voip ($86) (or why
not just use IHUG for the phone calls to reduce the base cost by $15?)

Compared to phoneline,BB,phone service @ ORCON for $79.95 and you get alot
more data for internet use (20G compared to 1G), and your phone is not
affected by downloading fast.

If you want to compare the single costs of the products, yes 2talk is
cheaper for the phone service part of it, but as I said it is comparing a
PSTN vs a VOIP solution.

Thanks
Craig

Craig Whitmore 08-11-2007 03:33 AM

Re: 5000 free phone lines from Orcon

> I wonder what their 20Gig a month plan is?? Zero Shock or full 20Gig
> no questions asked??

Its 20G and then $10 per 5G as normal non zero shock.

See: http://www.orcon.net.nz/informme/ser...y,85/item,416/

Thanks

Mutley 08-12-2007 12:43 AM

"Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>> I wonder what their 20Gig a month plan is?? Zero Shock or full 20Gig
>> no questions asked??

>Its 20G and then $10 per 5G as normal non zero shock.
>
>See: http://www.orcon.net.nz/informme/ser...y,85/item,416/
>
>Thanks

Thanx Craig,

At home we also have CLID, voicemail and call Waiting plus two
Telecom cell phones that have their calls billed back to home line. Is
this covered in the new plan for now and into the future beyond the 12
months??

Also SIP VOIP phone line service . When ??