Velocity Reviews

-   -   FTP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581750-ftp.html)

Roger Dewhurst 08-08-2007 09:01 PM

FTP

Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
machine.

EMB 08-08-2007 09:18 PM

Re: FTP

Roger Dewhurst wrote:
> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
> machine.

Firezilla
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

Enkidu 08-08-2007 09:36 PM

Re: FTP

Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
> machine.

You could just point your browser at the ftp site:

ftp://myftp.site.com

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Wayne Sallee 08-08-2007 09:55 PM

Re: FTP

EMB wrote on 8/8/2007 5:18 PM:
> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
>> Windows 95 machine.

> Firezilla
> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

There's no fire in filezilla :-)
Also another one I use is Cupertino

Wayne Sallee
Webmaster@LeesburgNazarene.org

Mark C 08-08-2007 11:32 PM

Re: FTP

"Roger Dewhurst" <dewhurst@wave.co.nz> wrote in

> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
> Windows 95 machine.

Some of these are free:
http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/FTP_Clients.htm

FlashFXP is good (and shareware), but the version I have (2.1) is
just nags and still works. I don't know if the current version just
nags.

WS_FTP LE is free and OK and can be found still:
http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=wsftp

Internet Explorer is free and is also an FTP client!

JohnO 08-09-2007 12:10 AM

Re: FTP

On Aug 9, 9:01 am, "Roger Dewhurst" <dewhu...@wave.co.nz> wrote:
> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
> machine.

Your favourite WWW browser will do the trick - just give an ftp style
url such as

ftp://ftp.agwfan.com

Or grab a file with

ftp://ftp.agwfan.com/public/mannfan.doc

;-)

Allistar 08-09-2007 01:39 AM

Re: FTP

Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows
> 95 machine.

So you mean an FTP client or an FTP server?

Allistar.

peterwn 08-09-2007 03:00 AM

Re: FTP

Roger Dewhurst wrote:
> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
> machine.

Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
computer.

Bongo 08-09-2007 04:30 AM

Re: FTP

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:00:23 +1200, peterwn wrote:

> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a Windows 95
>> machine.
>>

> Yes Linux / Gnome. The distant FTP site is a folder on the desktop and
> you can simply drag files in and out just as if it were on the same
> computer.

So that's a *program* huh, this "Linux / Gnome"?

OP's: X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138

So helpful.

EMB 08-09-2007 06:36 AM

Re: FTP

Wayne Sallee wrote:
> EMB wrote on 8/8/2007 5:18 PM:
>> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>>> Are there any free FTP programs around? I used to have one in a
>>> Windows 95 machine.

>> Firezilla
>> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

> There's no fire in filezilla :-)
> Also another one I use is Cupertino

Correct - I was having a bad morning.

Also if you're using Firefox the fireftp extension is pretty good.