Velocity Reviews

-   -   mail server for win32 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581710-mail-server-for-win32.html)

XPD 08-03-2007 06:00 AM

mail server for win32

Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
Preferably free :) (dream on...)

Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
I can do myself as such :)

TIA

Shane 08-03-2007 06:16 AM

Re: mail server for win32

XPD wrote:

> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>
> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
> more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
> something I can do myself as such :)
>
> TIA

I recall this question coming up before, but I'm buggered if I can remember
the suite the person ended up using.

Google to the rescue of my failing memory
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....e308ee1b2c9b80

Seems they found something that fits the bill for them, and you.
HTH
--
Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

EMB 08-03-2007 06:40 AM

Re: mail server for win32

XPD wrote:
> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>
> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
> and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
> I can do myself as such :)

Mailenable

http://www.mailenable.com/

Rob S 08-03-2007 06:54 AM

Re: mail server for win32

XPD wrote:
> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>
> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
> and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
> I can do myself as such :)
>
> TIA

He may have given up working on Pegasus, but Mercury mail server is
still alive and kicking. http://www.pmail.com/

--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

Scientists have discovered that time is not real, that we only live in
the current moment. But then according to that, they haven't done the
research, and don't have anything to back them up.

XPD 08-03-2007 10:28 PM

Re: mail server for win32

"EMB" <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:46b2cdf5$1@news01.wxnz.net...
> XPD wrote:
>> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
>> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>>
>> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
>> more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
>> something I can do myself as such :)

> Mailenable
>
> http://www.mailenable.com/

No good, wont allow pickup from remote POP accounts <sigh> otherwise looks
good........

EMB 08-03-2007 10:57 PM

Re: mail server for win32

XPD wrote:
> "EMB" <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:46b2cdf5$1@news01.wxnz.net...
>> XPD wrote:
>>> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
>>> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>>>
>>> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
>>> more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
>>> something I can do myself as such :)

>> Mailenable
>>
>> http://www.mailenable.com/

> No good, wont allow pickup from remote POP accounts <sigh> otherwise looks
> good........

Bugger - I'd forgotten it's only a feature in the Pro version.

Peter Huebner 08-04-2007 12:37 AM

Re: mail server for win32

In article <46b2d13a$1@clear.net.nz>, Here@home says...
> He may have given up working on Pegasus, but Mercury mail server is
> still alive and kicking. http://www.pmail.com/

What I've been using for years now. The documentation is - um ... sometimes
obscure.
There are list server archives online though. Exhaustive.
Mercury can't pick up from gmail via pop directly, because of encryption issues
or s.th. like that - have to use 'stunnel' as an intermediary (which works just
fine for me).
Has POP server, SMTP server, SMTP relay server (forwards to the ISPs), POP
client, as well as whassaname - IMAP(?) server. You can configure which modules
you actually run.

-P.

Dave Taylor 08-04-2007 04:44 AM

Re: mail server for win32

"XPD" <spam@xpdxpdxpd.cococo.nz> wrote in

> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting
> me more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company
> for something I can do myself as such :)

Argosoft seems to work, I have used it before.
http://www.argosoft.com/rootpages/Ma...t/Default.aspx

--
Ciao, Dave

Steve 08-04-2007 08:51 AM

Re: mail server for win32

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:00:56 +1200, XPD wrote:

> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
>
> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
> and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
> I can do myself as such :)
>
> TIA

Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

XPD 08-04-2007 09:55 AM

Re: mail server for win32

"Steve" <steve@yobank.com> wrote in message

> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
throwing in an add on to confuse them even more :)
With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......