Velocity Reviews

-   -   HTML Controls and User controls (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t58170-html-controls-and-user-controls.html)

trinitypete 06-25-2003 01:41 PM

HTML Controls and User controls

I have a user control that is basically a login dialogue.
If I add the user control to webpage1, can I access the
properties directly from C# codebehind, or do I have to
access the properties from HTML behind webpage1.

Thanks in advance. Pete

trinitypete 06-25-2003 02:50 PM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

Webpage1 is a standard ASP.NET webform which contains the
user control. I know I can access properties of the user
control via the HTML of webpage1 i.e.
<uc1:LoginUserControl id="LoginUserControl1"
property1="Hello" property2="Goodbye"
runat="server"></uc1:LoginUserControl>

but is it possible to access the properties from webpage1
code behind page.

Hope this is a little clearer.
Pete.

Ryan Fiorini 06-25-2003 02:57 PM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

Yes It is possible. Here is the code to do it.

Dim _myControl As Control = Page.FindControl("UserControlName")
Dim _myControlType As Type = _myControl.GetType()
Dim _myControl_Property As PropertyInfo =
_myControlType.GetProperty("PROPERTYNAME")

sTemp = _myControl_Property.GetValue(_myControl, Nothing)

Hope this helps.

Ryan

trinitypete 06-25-2003 03:27 PM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

It worked a treat - Thanks.

Kevin Spencer 06-25-2003 03:42 PM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

Your CodeBehind Page should have a reference to the control if you used the
tag you mentioned in your reply. You can therefore access the properties of
the object in your CodeBehind (using its' ID) without any problem.

Kevin Spencer 06-25-2003 05:14 PM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

Sorry trinitypete,

I misunderstood your question, and neglected to observe that you were
talking about a User Control instead of a Server Control. Handling the User
Control from your CodeBehind is a bit trickier than a Server Control. The
following MSDN article should help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...properties.asp

trinitypete 06-26-2003 09:47 AM

Re: HTML Controls and User controls

Thanks Kevin,

Will research link.

url=/library/en-
us/cpguide/html/cpconexposingpageletproperties.asp