Velocity Reviews

-   -   firewall (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581632-firewall.html)

Andrew Lambert 07-24-2007 05:15 AM

firewall

Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

Andrew Lambert 07-24-2007 05:19 AM

Re: firewall

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

The machine runs fine, nothing unusual.. Except my internet usage seems
to be up higher then i expect, Small amounts each day

netstat has had some odd connections evey noun again, but not all the
time or every day

Windows firewall is on but this one connection continues to get through

I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to it
and i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

Malcolm 07-24-2007 05:29 AM

Re: firewall

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:19:32 +1200
Andrew Lambert <alambert@stuff.stuff> wrote:

> Andrew Lambert wrote:
> > Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box
> >

> Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely
> sure
>
> The machine runs fine, nothing unusual.. Except my internet usage
> seems to be up higher then i expect, Small amounts each day
>
> netstat has had some odd connections evey noun again, but not all the
> time or every day
>
> Windows firewall is on but this one connection continues to get
> through
>
> I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to
> it and i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

Hi
Wireshark network analyzer and Sygate personal firewall 5.6 should help
http://www.wireshark.org/
http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160?id=213160

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

XPD 07-24-2007 05:48 AM

Re: firewall

"Andrew Lambert" <alambert@stuff.stuff> wrote in message

> I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to it and
> i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

No pinhole for a factory reset on the router ?

Dave Taylor 07-24-2007 06:23 AM

Re: firewall

Andrew Lambert <alambert@stuff.stuff> wrote in news:f84254$fk3$2@aioe.org:

> Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

Backup, re-install.
Use autopatcher or ryansvm to make a disk with all the updates to use when
you re-install. Get you favorite firewall and install it, then you can
connect to the internet.
However, you are behind a router you say...
So maybe just installing your favorite firewall will show up what is trying
to connect.
I am an old sygate fan, but it is abandonware now.
I guess you could use comodo, it is supposed to be pretty good on machines
it works fine on. There are some rare ones it does not work on.
here:
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/91.htm

--
Ciao, Dave

Greg House 07-24-2007 08:17 AM

Re: firewall

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:15:34 +1200, Andrew Lambert <alambert@stuff.stuff> wrote:

>Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

Kerio 2.1.5

Andrew Lambert 07-24-2007 10:35 PM

Re: firewall

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

I installed comodo.

Im thinking now my phantom usage is caused by vnc.. I vnc in to home
from work.. and often i forget to close it

Comodo counts the traffic used and vnc uses quite alot...

I am gonna keep comodo running as it seems to work quite well. I just
have to work out how to open the port for azureous... Currently i get a
nat error

neutrino 07-26-2007 05:22 AM

Re: firewall

On Jul 24, 6:23 pm, Dave Taylor <davey...@nospamplshotmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Lambert <alamb...@stuff.stuff> wrote innews:f84254$fk3$2@aioe.org:
>
> > Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

> Backup, re-install.
> Use autopatcher or ryansvm to make a disk with all the updates to use when
> you re-install. Get you favorite firewall and install it, then you can
> connect to the internet.
> However, you are behind a router you say...
> So maybe just installing your favorite firewall will show up what is trying
> to connect.
> I am an old sygate fan, but it is abandonware now.
> --
> Ciao, Dave

?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

Peter Huebner 07-26-2007 09:29 AM

Re: firewall

In article <1185427328.213990.52060@m37g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
stuartr@bluebottle.com says...
> ?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
> Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
> or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
> but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
> sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
> I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
> posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
> posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
> threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
> apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
> all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

Same here, except that I use Sygate&AVG. I still do a bit of security work
around the area and Sygate is what I put on people's system as a firewall (plus
they get a virus/backdoor avoidance policy drummed into them) and NONE of those
ppl have come back to me with problems/infections, EVER. It just works, and
doesn't cause problems, and that's what I like to see. Once I've put it on,
I've done myself out of a [future] job. Which is fine, cause I don't need a
continuous stream of income from that side of things.

I was so seriously ****ed off at Symantec for shutting Sygate down that I will
no longer buy their products.

-P.

neutrino 07-26-2007 10:03 PM

Re: firewall

On Jul 26, 9:29 pm, Peter Huebner <no....@this.address> wrote:
> In article <1185427328.213990.52...@m37g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
> stua...@bluebottle.com says...
>
> > ?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
> > Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
> > or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
> > but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
> > sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
> > I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
> > posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
> > posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
> > threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
> > apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
> > all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

> Same here, except that I use Sygate&AVG. I still do a bit of security work
> around the area and Sygate is what I put on people's system as a firewall (plus
> they get a virus/backdoor avoidance policy drummed into them) and NONE of those
> ppl have come back to me with problems/infections, EVER. It just works, and
> doesn't cause problems, and that's what I like to see. Once I've put it on,
> I've done myself out of a [future] job. Which is fine, cause I don't need a
> continuous stream of income from that side of things.
>
> I was so seriously ****ed off at Symantec for shutting Sygate down that I will
> no longer buy their products.
>
> -P.

Same here... though the ONE product I do use is Ghost (V9)- one
prog' I'd not be without, it just gives you the confidence to do what
you want and know you can restore within 10 minutes or so.
though having said that - I had an occasion to ask their support a
question recently
- cos I suggested to someone who has just set up a new Pc - that it
might be advantagious to also
use ghost - as a demo - I installed mine (not to leave permanent) but
for who?knows?why? it failed on verifying image ~ never had tyhat on
my system - but the Support took a week to get back to me, and even
then it came with no response, other than to ask if this was still an
issue ~ I replied wondering what they were on about, and how about a
reply to the error code!! then they came back a couple of days later
saying cos I was asking about V 9 - they couldnt help - it was no
longer "supported" and I should search their help database for an
answer ~ sheeesh how much time would it have taken for for them to
have done that much!
customer service - going that little bit extra is what it's all
about!! Oh.. and the person I was suggesting this to - in the
meantime while waiting for response from "support" - suggested they
take a look at Acronis true Image - they did , they bought, installed,
and used ~ does just as good (if not better) a job as Sym's Ghost !
I might even invest in it myself!!
but for a little xtra from support - I wouldnt be, and
they'd likely have sold another Ghost.
oh and yep - same as you - I install Sygate on anyones Pc that I
assist with (neighbourly help, not as a job)