Velocity Reviews

-   -   TS/Paradise usenet, anyone care to update? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581616-ts-paradise-usenet-anyone-care-to-update.html)

Dave Doe 07-22-2007 05:44 AM

TS/Paradise usenet, anyone care to update?

Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

--
Duncan

sam 07-22-2007 06:41 AM

Re: TS/Paradise usenet, anyone care to update?

Dave Doe wrote:
> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing period.
Its about time they dropped binaries.

Jonno 07-22-2007 08:10 AM

"sam" <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$1@clear.net.nz...
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
>>

> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
> period.
> Its about time they dropped binaries.

So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
they did away with it.
Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

sam 07-22-2007 09:10 AM

Jonno wrote:
> "sam" <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$1@clear.net.nz...
>> Dave Doe wrote:
>>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
>>>

>> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
>> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
>> period.
>> Its about time they dropped binaries.

> So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
> People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
> They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
> Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
> traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
> usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
> have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
> have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
> they did away with it.
> Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

Its only an O P I N I O N, don't throw a big tanty dude.
Obviously its not free, someone pays for it, and thats why they have
customers, to pay for the services they provide.
If they were going to increase their cap they would have done it by now.
TC is crap for binaries, always has been, now its getting to be crap for
text newsgroups as well. Xtra doesn't have usenet servers at all AFAIK
If you want to pirate stuff you can subscribe to Newzbin or similar and
still pay for the download, but TC won't have to provide server capacity.
So my O P I N I O N is that they should choose to do at least part of
the service they do provide properly and continuously.
If you have a different O P I N I O N then feel free to express it here,
you can, no one is stopping you, its not moderated.
Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

Dave Taylor 07-22-2007 10:31 AM

sam <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in news:46a31f0a$1@clear.net.nz:

> Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

I called and tried to open a ticket, you should too.

--
Ciao, Dave

thingy 07-22-2007 08:45 PM

Jonno wrote:
> "sam" <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$1@clear.net.nz...
>> Dave Doe wrote:
>>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
>>>

>> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
>> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
>> period.
>> Its about time they dropped binaries.

> So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
> People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
> They still get charged for it on their bill.

Usenet's design and reason for existence is for text messaging for
people interested in communicating on a subject of common interest and
not as a way to download (and in particular copyright infringing or
illegal) binary images or cracked commercial programs.

It's TC who are at fault here.
> Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
> traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
> usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
> have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
> have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
> they did away with it.
> Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

yeah right...

regards

Thing

thingy 07-22-2007 09:15 PM

Dave Doe wrote:
> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the problem.

So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an account
level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server is so I am
having to explain a few things....

regards

Thing

big cat 07-22-2007 10:15 PM

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:10:40 +1200, "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>"sam" <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$1@clear.net.nz...
>> Dave Doe wrote:
>>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
>>>

>> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
>> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
>> period.
>> Its about time they dropped binaries.

>So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
>People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
>They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
>Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
>traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
>usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
>have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
>have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
>they did away with it.
>Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

AS far as I know there are no Binary news groups, so how can that be the
case..?

Rob.S. 07-22-2007 10:17 PM

thingy wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
>>

> I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the problem.
>
> So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an account
> level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server is so I am
> having to explain a few things....

And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled in
the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I should get
a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine weekends are not
included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath
over it.

Rob S

sam 07-22-2007 10:21 PM

Dave Taylor wrote:
> sam <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote in news:46a31f0a$1@clear.net.nz:
>
>> Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

> I called and tried to open a ticket, you should too.

If emailing them doesn't work they should get the fsck out of the
internet business entirely.