Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft cites GPLv3 Legal Concerns (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581529-microsoft-cites-gplv3-legal-concerns.html)

Jonathan Walker 07-07-2007 08:43 AM

Microsoft cites GPLv3 Legal Concerns

"" In a statement, Microsoft said it does not believe that distributing
software licensed under GPLv3 constitutes an acceptance of its terms --
including the prohibition on lawsuits. Nonetheless, the company said it
will limit open source software sold and supported through its Novell
alliance to code that is licensed under GPLv2, which does not include the
lawsuit prohibition. ""

Let's see...

The only way a person can distribute software is if they are licensed by
the copyright holder to distribute it.

If that software is licensed under the GPLv3, then any distribution of
said software is fundamentally bound by the terms of that license; and the
person or corporation doing said distribution is also bound by the terms
of that license - if they wish to distribute said software.

So, how can M$ distribute GPL3'd software without implicitly accepting the
terms of that license?

M$ knows the terms up front - there is no EULA for it to be trapped by
once it opens a shrink-wrapped box that by doing so invalidates any
American's right to return it back to the shop.

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

Peter 07-07-2007 08:58 AM

Re: Microsoft cites GPLv3 Legal Concerns

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=200900752
> "" In a statement, Microsoft said it does not believe that distributing
> software licensed under GPLv3 constitutes an acceptance of its terms --
> including the prohibition on lawsuits.""
>
> Let's see...
> The only way a person can distribute software is if they are licensed by
> the copyright holder to distribute it.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/m...statement.mspx
"Microsoft is not a party to the GPLv3 license and none of its actions are
to be misinterpreted as accepting status as a contracting party of GPLv3 or
assuming any legal obligations under such license."

So, MS think they are above the law, and declare themselves not bound by
licences put on software by the authors of that software.

When MS makes statements like this, it is no wonder so many people think
they are crooks.

Peter

Jonathan Walker 07-07-2007 09:31 AM

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:58:51 +1200, Peter wrote:

> When MS makes statements like this, it is no wonder so many people think
> they are crooks.

That is because two words that accurately describe M$ truly are "crook"
and "bully"!