Velocity Reviews

-   -   Underscores in File Names (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581499-underscores-in-file-names.html)

Michael 07-03-2007 05:33 PM

Underscores in File Names

Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the spaces
of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from IE7.
That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a web
page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file name.
It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My Holiday
Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where it
saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.

Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
file names?

OS is XP Pro with all updates and computer is virus and malware free

Thanks in advance

Michael

Jonathan Walker 07-03-2007 07:08 PM

Re: Underscores in File Names

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 05:33:40 +1200, Michael wrote:

> Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the
> spaces of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also
> from IE7.

Files downloadable from the WWW should not have white space in the file
names - it is contrary to the RFC.

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

Gib Bogle 07-03-2007 09:49 PM

Michael wrote:
> Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the spaces
> of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from IE7.
> That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a web
> page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
> underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file name.
> It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My Holiday
> Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
> It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where it
> saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>
> Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
> file names?

I'm more concerned about those pesky spaces in file names.

jack 07-03-2007 10:59 PM

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:33:40 +1200, "Michael" <Michael@nowhere.org> wrote:

>Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the spaces
>of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from IE7.
>That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a web
>page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file name.
>It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My Holiday
>Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where it
>saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>
>Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>file names?
>
>OS is XP Pro with all updates and computer is virus and malware free
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Michael

This is Very Normal I get it all the time and some times dots get put in..

Use Total Commander to batch remove them.

I think that they refer this to a Hard Space...??

jack 07-03-2007 11:20 PM

Re: Underscores in File Names

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:33:40 +1200, "Michael" <Michael@nowhere.org> wrote:

>Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the spaces
>of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from IE7.
>That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a web
>page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file name.
>It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My Holiday
>Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where it
>saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>
>Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>file names?
>
>OS is XP Pro with all updates and computer is virus and malware free
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Michael

Read this and stacks of other references on Google..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289829

In the long run do not use spaces in file names..

Bruce Sinclair 07-04-2007 12:01 AM

In article <f6eg7f$vc0$3@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Gib Bogle <bogle@ihug.too.much.spam.co.nz> wrote:
>Michael wrote:
>> Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the spaces
>> of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from IE7.
>> That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a web
>> page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>> underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file name.
>> It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My Holiday
>> Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>> It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where it
>> saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>> file names?

>I'm more concerned about those pesky spaces in file names.

:)

All i can suggest to Michael (as you could have :) ) is that his pictures
are being downloaded from sites running on linux or unix and that OE is not
handling the file names correctly in some cases. Spaces are not allowed in
filenames on those systems.

A question that comes to mind though is ... why are the underscores a
problem ?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 07-04-2007 05:59 AM

In message <f6ergk$chb$1@aioe.org>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> All i can suggest to Michael (as you could have :) ) is that his pictures
> are being downloaded from sites running on linux or unix and that OE is
> not handling the file names correctly in some cases. Spaces are not
> allowed in filenames on those systems.

*nix filenames can have any characters except "/" and nul.

Michael 07-04-2007 07:45 AM

"jack" <jbrown@none.comn> wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:33:40 +1200, "Michael" <Michael@nowhere.org> wrote:
>
>>Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the
>>spaces
>>of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from
>>IE7.
>>That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a
>>web
>>page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>>underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file
>>name.
>>It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My
>>Holiday
>>Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>>It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where
>>it
>>saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>>file names?
>>
>>OS is XP Pro with all updates and computer is virus and malware free
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Michael
>>

> Read this and stacks of other references on Google..
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289829
>

> In the long run do not use spaces in file names..

Thank you for your reply but the above does not really answer the question I
asked. It deals with folder names.
I also did search Google and Microsoft with no obvious answer before I
resorted to asking this group.I thought it may be something simple that I
was missing but obviously not. I have also taken Windows back before the
latest XP updates but that has not fixed the problem either.
I have had no trouble using spaces in file names (up until now) and most of
the files I am saving are .jpg. And no, they are not porno pictures, they
are auto, aircraft and other related vehicle pictures as I am an
Auto/Aircraft historian. I have several gigs of archives.
My problem is that pictures which are sent to me by email or posted to
newsgroups etc are usually done so with blank spaces in the file names. When
I download them and use the "Save Picture As" function, OE/IE7 is putting
underscores in the spaces. This causes problems with doubling up in my
archive folders and wastes hours of time.

If anyone does know why Windows would suddenly start inserting the
underscores and how to stop it happening I would be indebted.

Michael

Michael 07-04-2007 07:49 AM

"Gib Bogle" <bogle@ihug.too.much.spam.co.nz> wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>> Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the
>> spaces of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also
>> from IE7.
>> That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a
>> web page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>> underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file
>> name. It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg.
>> My Holiday Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>> It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command where
>> it saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>> file names?

> I'm more concerned about those pesky spaces in file names.

And I'm more concerned about the opposite. Different strokes, different
reasons.

Michael 07-04-2007 08:19 AM

Re: Underscores in File Names

"Bruce Sinclair" <bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz > wrote
in message news:f6ergk$chb$1@aioe.org...
> In article <f6eg7f$vc0$3@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Gib Bogle
> <bogle@ihug.too.much.spam.co.nz> wrote:
>>Michael wrote:
>>> Recently I have noticed that I am getting underscores inserted in the
>>> spaces
>>> of file names when saving pictures from Outlook Express 6 and also from
>>> IE7.
>>> That is when I right click a picture in the preview pane in OE or from a
>>> web
>>> page in IE7 and choose "Save Picture As" from the drop down menu,
>>> underscores are automatically being inserted in the spaces of the file
>>> name.
>>> It does this when the original file did not have underscores. eg. My
>>> Holiday
>>> Picture.jpg becomes My_Holiday_Picture.jpg.
>>> It does not do this in OE if you use the "Save Attachments" command
>>> where it
>>> saves the attachment with the correct name without the underscores.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to stop it inserting those pesky underscores in the
>>> file names?

>>I'm more concerned about those pesky spaces in file names.

> :)
>
> All i can suggest to Michael (as you could have :) ) is that his pictures
> are being downloaded from sites running on linux or unix and that OE is
> not
> handling the file names correctly in some cases. Spaces are not allowed in
> filenames on those systems.
>
> A question that comes to mind though is ... why are the underscores a
> problem ?

Yes I realise that web sites will quite often, even usually have underscores
in the file names. That is not particularly the problem. My problem is that
recently Windows/OE/IE7 has taken to putting the underscores in (when they
weren't in the original file name) when I save the pictures using the "Save
Picture As" command from the menu.
I am an Auto/Aircraft historian and have several gigs of archived pictures
for research etc. For various reasons I try to save the pictures with their
original file names. When Win inserts underscores in the filenames it means
that it is easy to double up on archives. This can waste hours of time
searching the files and cleaning them out again.

I have searched Google/Microsoft and used XP's restore function and gone
back past the last XP updates but that has not fixed the problem either.

If anyone knows why Windows should start putting in the underscores when it
never used to and how to stop it doing so I would be very grateful.

Michael