Velocity Reviews

-   -   lcd tv used as monitor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581273-lcd-tv-used-as-monitor.html)

noddy 05-24-2007 01:08 AM

lcd tv used as monitor

What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
as a computer monitor.
I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?

TIA

Allistar 05-24-2007 01:16 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

noddy wrote:

> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
> as a computer monitor.
> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
>
> TIA

The highest resolution you could use (without nasty scaling effects) would
be the native resolution of the LCD TV. 720p displays are 1280x720, which
1080i displays are 1920x1080. A typical 20" widescreen LCD monitor is
1680x1050.

Allistar.

Richard 05-24-2007 04:19 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

noddy wrote:
> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
> as a computer monitor.
> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?

No is the short answer.

Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build a
resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its another
matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the scaling
process before it hits the panel.

Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it doesnt
you have grounds to return it.

J Brockley 05-24-2007 07:25 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

"noddy" <noddy@toyland.com> wrote in message
> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
> as a computer monitor.
> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
>
> TIA

You don't say what size but check out something like Samsung 940 MG which is
a monitor and TV.
I have a previous model and its only issue is the slower refresh rates of
that era.
Maybe better to look for a monitor thats also a TV rather than a TV that can
be a monitor as thats how you end up with 800x600.

Kent Smith 05-24-2007 11:23 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

J Brockley wrote:
> "noddy" <noddy@toyland.com> wrote in message
>> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
>> as a computer monitor.
>> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
>> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
>> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
>>
>> TIA

> You don't say what size but check out something like Samsung 940 MG
> which is a monitor and TV.
> I have a previous model and its only issue is the slower refresh
> rates of that era.
> Maybe better to look for a monitor thats also a TV rather than a TV
> that can be a monitor as thats how you end up with 800x600.

Spotted a cheapie at big red:
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/advert...D=425&PageNo=1
26" 1366x768 HDMI teletext PIP component RGB svideo composite scart
$900

Anyone checked this out?

-KENT

Jason Fanning 05-24-2007 06:46 PM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

Richard wrote:

> No is the short answer.
>
> Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build a
> resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its another
> matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the scaling
> process before it hits the panel.
>
> Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it doesnt
> you have grounds to return it.

What do you mean no. I can plug my computers into the VGA port, or the
HDMI port on my TV and they just work

XPD 05-24-2007 10:18 PM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

"noddy" <noddy@toyland.com> wrote in message
> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
> as a computer monitor.
> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
>
> TIA

My father in law got a 42" plasma recently and I plugged in his laptop to it
via the external VGA - it supports nice resolutions, but the actual quality
was pretty shite... was like using standard TV-Out via composite - text
readable, but only just. Great for media however.

J Brockley 05-25-2007 07:05 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

"XPD" <spamspam@xpdxpd.coco.nznz> wrote in message

> "noddy" <noddy@toyland.com> wrote in message
>> What's the story these days about screen resolution when you use a tv
>> as a computer monitor.
>> I had the use of one a couple of years ago but when used with the
>> computer the best resolution it gave was 800x600.
>> Has this problem been overcome with today's tvs?
>>
>> TIA

> My father in law got a 42" plasma recently and I plugged in his laptop to
> it via the external VGA - it supports nice resolutions, but the actual
> quality was pretty shite... was like using standard TV-Out via
> composite - text readable, but only just. Great for media however.

Thats because on LCD or Plasma you need to match laptop display resolution
to the TV otherwise you so the effect you did.
If its a standard def plasma the optimal PC res will need to be 800x600
while for hi def TV the PC will be1024x768.
Some hi def TV will be different to 1024x768 complicate the issue..

noddy 05-26-2007 10:17 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've decided to stick with a starightforward monitor :)

Richard 05-27-2007 11:50 AM

Re: lcd tv used as monitor

Jason Fanning wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>>
>> No is the short answer.
>>
>> Expect to need to spend a long time tweeking with powerstrip to build
>> a resolution that is the panels native resolution, and then its
>> another matter if the tv will accept it, or still put it thru the
>> scaling process before it hits the panel.
>>
>> Just buy it and say you want to use it with a computer, so if it
>> doesnt you have grounds to return it.

> What do you mean no. I can plug my computers into the VGA port, or the
> HDMI port on my TV and they just work

Is it pixel accurate like a PC monitor should be, or it it only capable
of taking common PC modes like 1024x768 and then scaling that to the
panel size and not providing any control of how that image is cropped?