Velocity Reviews

-   -   IHUG = I-slug? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581189-ihug-i-slug.html)

Geoff M 05-04-2007 09:10 AM

IHUG = I-slug?

Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has been
getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
datacaps?
Geoff

Shane 05-04-2007 09:14 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

Geoff M wrote:

> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
> the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has
> been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
> datacaps?
> Geoff

I've just been put onto a new port at the exchange, and I am getting what I
paid for.
HTH
--
Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

bambam 05-04-2007 09:27 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

Geoff M <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote in

> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
> with decent szied datacaps?
> Geoff

9.25pm

Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

Craig Shore 05-04-2007 09:35 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

On Fri, 04 May 2007 09:10:18 GMT, Geoff M <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit>
wrote:

>Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
>the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has been
>getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
>datacaps?

I downloaded a couple of TV progs the other night (evening time) using
bittorrent and got over 200kbps on each. That was one after the other, not both
at the same time. i.e. ihug could support me maxing out my connection.

Bobs 05-04-2007 09:48 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

bambam wrote:
> Geoff M <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote in
>
>> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
>> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
>> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
>> with decent szied datacaps?
>> Geoff

> 9.25pm
>
> Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
> Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
>
> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is Orcon in Onehunga.

Methinks people on Jetstream get about 500kbps. LOL

EMB 05-04-2007 10:53 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

Bobs wrote:

> Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
> Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
>
> This is Orcon in Onehunga.

I'm getting much the same on both xnet and ihug in Onehunga.

bambam 05-04-2007 08:04 PM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

Geoff M <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote in

> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
> with decent szied datacaps?
> Geoff

7.58am

Download Speed: 2474 kbps (309.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 128 kbps (16 KB/sec transfer rate)

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

XPD 05-04-2007 10:38 PM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

"Geoff M" <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote in message
> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting, especially in
> the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be faster.It has
> been
> getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives with decent szied
> datacaps?
> Geoff

I just joined IHUG after being with Sloosh/Slowsilver and its a dream
compared to them...........

But yeah, did notice last night while in WoW that my pings were all over the
place.
Mention it in ihug.general :)

Abstract Reasoning 05-05-2007 07:54 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:48:09 +1200, Bobs wrote:

>> Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
>>
>> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

> Download Speed: 3366 kbps (420.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
> Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
>
> This is Orcon in Onehunga.
>
> Methinks people on Jetstream get about 500kbps. LOL

I have found that the speedtest is mostly accurate for single thread
transfer rates, however this is not always an accurate indicator of total
line speed capability.

Compare the following figures;

Download Speed: 1781 kbps (222.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 132 kbps (16.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is generally indicative of what I achieve on the nzdsl site, but to
provide an example...

A few days ago I had two simultaneous downloads operating using a download
manager, each using two threads, and browsing in Firefox at the same time.
OpenOfiice.org was coming in at ~100 KB/s and iTunes off the Apple site at
~450 KB/s, for a combined speed of over 550 KB/s ie 4400 kbps (of an
apparent potential maximum of 7616 kbps, as reported by the modem).

So, does the nzdsl speedtest provide an accurate indication of the line
speed capability, or is it constrained by technical limitations?

Geoff M 05-05-2007 08:55 AM

Re: IHUG = I-slug?

On Fri, 4 May 2007 09:27:30 +0000 (UTC), bambam wrote:

> Geoff M <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.Delete.this.bit> wrote in
>
>> Anyone else using IHUG? What sort of speeds are you getting,
>> especially in the evenings. It is so slow at present, dial up would be
>> faster.It has been getting worse for a while. Any other alternatives
>> with decent szied datacaps?
>> Geoff

> 9.25pm
>
> Download Speed: 2469 kbps (308.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
> Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
>
> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

20:47 on that site: It has picked up today, and is now 1478D, 132U.
Yesterday it would have been 1/10th of that.

www.speedtest.net gives similar figs for an NZ speed test, but Aidelaide is
1013k D/ 132 U, and San Jose is 1400D/131 U.

Hmm, dunno. Still not the 2MB I am paying for.
Geoff