Velocity Reviews

-   -   VMware question - HostOS App to Guest OS App Communication (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581096-vmware-question-hostos-app-to-guest-os-app-communication.html)

El Chippy 04-16-2007 05:48 AM

VMware question - HostOS App to Guest OS App Communication

How easy is it to write a program on the host OS (probably linux in
this case) that can feed data thru to an app running in the virtual
(Windows) machine? Links to relevant sites would be great

It needs to think the data has come from keyboard and mouse.
Its an oddball program that appears not to understand cut'n'paste or other
common windows conventions. And not having source or enough knowledge to
reverse engineer the app leaves me looking at this option to automate a few
functions.

TIA

El Chippy

El Chippy 04-16-2007 07:10 AM

Re: VMware question - HostOS App to Guest OS App Communication

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:42:21 +1200, Shane wrote:

> http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/
>
> At a *guess* you want to send a stream of data to VMWare, and you want
> VMWare to recognise that stream is meant for <guest> and is to be
> interpreted as coming from the KB/Mouse

Sounds exactly like what i want to do. now just to figure out the details.

> Programming API
> http://www.vmware.com/download/server/ The Programming API allows users
> to write scripts and programs to automate virtual machine test and
> development operations. The API is high-level, easy to use, and
> practical for both scripters and application programmers. The
> Programming API is packaged with VMware Server.
>

> http://www.vmware.com/support/develo...ipting_API.pdf

How did i miss this before.. this should keep me out of mischief for a bit.

Thank you muchly Shane.

Allistar 04-16-2007 07:27 AM

El Chippy wrote:

> How easy is it to write a program on the host OS (probably linux in
> this case) that can feed data thru to an app running in the virtual
> (Windows) machine? Links to relevant sites would be great
>
> It needs to think the data has come from keyboard and mouse.
> Its an oddball program that appears not to understand cut'n'paste or other
> common windows conventions. And not having source or enough knowledge to
> reverse engineer the app leaves me looking at this option to automate a
> few functions.
>

> TIA
>
> El Chippy

You could write an app running on the quest that communicates with the host
(and vice-versa) using TCP/IP. The app on the guest could then fire
keypress events at the particular window you need the text to be entered
into. Should be fairly straight forward with a bit of C++ code, assuming
the means of finding the particular window handle is well defined.

Allistar.

Shane 04-16-2007 07:42 AM