Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xnet and p2p (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t581043-xnet-and-p2p.html)

samorra 04-04-2007 09:45 PM

Xnet and p2p

What are the chances of getting busted using p2p with Xnet ?
They have apparently suspended several user accounts recently for
copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think Peer
Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.

Miguel 04-04-2007 11:49 PM

Re: Xnet and p2p

On Apr 5, 9:45 am, "samorra" <s...@hottmail.com> wrote:
> What are the chances of getting busted using p2p with Xnet ?
> They have apparently suspended several user accounts recently for
> copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think Peer
> Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
> address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.

Hello Samorra....Interesting post thanks. Just wondering if you've a
link to the xnet info.

Allowing for the fact that I don't really know what I'm talking about,
I was under the impression that the three networks mainly being
hassled were Gnutella (BearShare, LimeWire, Shareaza + another dozen
or so programmes), FastTrack (KaZaA and Grokster plus a few others)
and edonkey network. More specifically, uploaders serving large
amounts of files (1000+)

Non-centralised p2p (bittorent) was less likely to be tracked.
Kadmelia/Usenet/IRC even less (practically nil chance apparently).

Repeating what I said earlier - I don't really know what I'm talking
about. But it's pretty wise to stay away from the main networks (Kazaa
LimeWire etc) and if you're just after TV progs stick to torrents for
convenience although it's less secure (TPB, EZTV) or, if you're savvy
enough, set up mIrc/xChat for privacy and get your stuff that way.

Remember - I don't really know what I'm talking about and some
nz.comp'er will be sure to say so.

Regards
Miguel

samorra 04-05-2007 12:20 AM

Re: Xnet and p2p

"Miguel" <miguellint@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1175730545.416413.127650@w1g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello Samorra....Interesting post thanks. Just wondering if you've a
> link to the xnet info.

article 5 of the Xnet Internet Service Acceptable Use Policy
http://www.xnet.co.nz/legal/terms.shtml
Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the Xnet Service to:
Upload, download, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative
works of, or distribute in any way information, software or other material
obtained through the Xnet Service or otherwise that is protected by
copyright or other proprietary right, without the approval of the legal
owner.

> Non-centralised p2p (bittorent) was less likely to be tracked.
> Kadmelia/Usenet/IRC even less (practically nil chance apparently).
> Repeating what I said earlier - I don't really know what I'm talking
> about. But it's pretty wise to stay away from the main networks (Kazaa
> LimeWire etc) and if you're just after TV progs stick to torrents for
> convenience although it's less secure (TPB, EZTV) or, if you're savvy
> enough, set up mIrc/xChat for privacy and get your stuff that way.

I've been using utorrent on EZTV.

XPD 04-05-2007 12:32 AM

Re: Xnet and p2p

"samorra" <sn@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> What are the chances of getting busted using p2p with Xnet ?
> They have apparently suspended several user accounts recently for
> copyright infringements. I only download the odd tv program and I think
> Peer Guardian would not be of much use since it does not prevent your ip
> address being logged. I never worried about this when I was on Xtra.

Long as youre not going stupid with it (ie:openly admit youre potentially
dling "questionable" files) most ISP's dont give a crap unless
studios/lawyers come knocking.