Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xnet adsl speed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580916-xnet-adsl-speed.html)

J.Wilson 03-16-2007 04:26 AM

Xnet adsl speed

I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
help them resolve the problem. I sent:

Tracing route to xnet.co.nz [58.28.4.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 71 ms 64 ms 67 ms int-132-akl-ds101.wxnz.net [58.28.15.70]
2 62 ms 61 ms 59 ms ge-1-0-0-57-jcore3.wxnz.net [58.28.13.49]
3 60 ms 63 ms 61 ms ge-0-1-0-akl-ae01.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
4 68 ms 68 ms 67 ms ip-58-28-160-2.wxnz.net [58.28.160.2]
5 61 ms 61 ms 60 ms umbrie1.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]

Trace complete. Help desk responded with

"Thanks for the screen shots of the tracert tests. This will help in
analysing
the issues telecom are having at your local exchange.
As it is an on-going investigation we have no ETA for a resolution for you.
However this is one step in that direction"

Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?

John

Rob 03-16-2007 04:51 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

"J.Wilson" <jfwilson@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
>
> Tracing route to xnet.co.nz [58.28.4.10]
> over a maximum of 30 hops:
>
> 1 71 ms 64 ms 67 ms int-132-akl-ds101.wxnz.net [58.28.15.70]
> 2 62 ms 61 ms 59 ms ge-1-0-0-57-jcore3.wxnz.net [58.28.13.49]
> 3 60 ms 63 ms 61 ms ge-0-1-0-akl-ae01.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
> 4 68 ms 68 ms 67 ms ip-58-28-160-2.wxnz.net [58.28.160.2]
> 5 61 ms 61 ms 60 ms umbrie1.wxnz.net [58.28.4.10]
>
> Trace complete. Help desk responded with
>
> "Thanks for the screen shots of the tracert tests. This will help in
> analysing
> the issues telecom are having at your local exchange.
> As it is an on-going investigation we have no ETA for a resolution for
> you.
> However this is one step in that direction"
>
> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
>
> John

Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they are
onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund for the
period that you are not getting service for.

A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

El Chippy 03-16-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:

> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
>
> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
>
> John

Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from some
sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.

I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
myself.

Craig Whitmore 03-16-2007 07:28 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

"J.Wilson" <jfwilson@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
> help them resolve the problem. I sent:

What Area are you in?

Thanks
Craig (Owner of http://www.nzdsl.co.nz)

J.Wilson 03-16-2007 08:41 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

"Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

> "J.Wilson" <jfwilson@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
>> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
>> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
>> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
>> help them resolve the problem. I sent:

> What Area are you in?
>
> Thanks
> Craig (Owner of http://www.nzdsl.co.nz)

Morningside close by Fowlds Park.

J.Wilson 03-16-2007 09:16 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

"El Chippy" <cronik@not.really.imabadlittleboy.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:
>
>> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
>> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
>> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
>> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
>> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
>>
>> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
>>
>> John

> Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from
> some
> sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
> yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
> they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.
>
> I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
> full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
> I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
> myself.

I've been using:
http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

I was on Xtra's Adventure plan and getting a reasonably consistent
2.0 Mb.

Tony 03-16-2007 07:55 PM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

> Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they are
> onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund for the
> period that you are not getting service for.
>
> A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
> which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you have
a clue don't offer advice.

Vista 03-17-2007 12:21 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

"Tony" <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit@tonyw.com > wrote in message
>> Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they
>> are onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata refund
>> for the period that you are not getting service for.
>>
>> A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to xnet,
>> which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

> You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you have a
> clue don't offer advice.

Aye? The OP already said that they were blaming telecom instead of taking
responsibility themselves.

You don't work for xnet do you?

Vista 03-17-2007 12:25 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

> "El Chippy" <cronik@not.really.imabadlittleboy.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:24 +1300, J.Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I changed ISP from Xtra to Xnet last week. Speeds were ok to start,
>>> approx between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs, but have since slowed to mostly
>>> around 900kbps. Xnet help desk said the problem was with Telecom
>>> exchange and for me to send them a screenshot of a tracert to Xnet to
>>> help them resolve the problem. I sent:
>>>
>>> Is this a legit effort or am I getting the run around?
>>>
>>> John

>> Are these line speeds reported by your modem? or download speeds from
>> some
>> sort of measuring site (nzdsl.co.nz etc?) If they are line speeds then
>> yeah, it is pretty much down to something do with telecoms gear, and all
>> they can really do is try to persuade telecom to pull finger and fix it.
>>
>> I just ran a local and an international speed test and i'm getting my
>> full line speed (a crappy 1.5Mbit) from both at ~6pm on a friday night.
>> I have't done much downloading lately so haven't noticed any problems
>> myself.

> I've been using:
> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
>
> I was on Xtra's Adventure plan and getting a reasonably consistent
> 2.0 Mb.

I know a few people who have been with xnet for a year, who have commented
that in the last few weeks they have noticed slower than normal speeds
during peak times.

Blue 03-17-2007 03:43 AM

Re: Xnet adsl speed

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:21:24 +1300, Vista wrote:

> "Tony" <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit@tonyw.com > wrote in
> message news:newscache$b0i0fj$b2h$1@news.safenz.net...
>>> Definitely the run around. They are blaming another company, when they
>>> are onselling you the services of that company. Ask for a prorata
>>> refund for the period that you are not getting service for.
>>>
>>> A lot of people have switched from xtras go large plan, directly to
>>> xnet, which is likely to cause a lot of conjestion on xnets network.

>> You are guessing, you have no idea where the problem is. Unless you
>> have a clue don't offer advice.
>>

> Aye? The OP already said that they were blaming telecom instead of
> taking responsibility themselves.
>
> You don't work for xnet do you?

No. You still have not offered any evidence that Telecom is clean on this
matter.