Velocity Reviews

-   -   SMS out from PC (linked to cellphone?) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580867-sms-out-from-pc-linked-to-cellphone.html)

Alan 03-06-2007 02:33 AM

SMS out from PC (linked to cellphone?)

Hi All,

I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
recipients.

This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
am searching badly...

I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
totally in-house.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
--
Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Richard 03-06-2007 06:24 AM

Re: SMS out from PC (linked to cellphone?)

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
> cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
> PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
> recipients.
>
> This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
> but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
> am searching badly...
>
> I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
> do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
> totally in-house.

There are AT commands to send SMS's, they didnt work on the CDMA phone
that I tried it on however. Just send them to the comport that the
cellphones modem appears on when it associates via bluetooth.

Dave 03-16-2007 04:56 PM

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
> cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
> PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
> recipients.
>
> This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
> but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
> am searching badly...
>
> I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
> do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
> totally in-house.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks,

Alan,
Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available on
http://www.gnokii.org/ but you will need to compile it yourself, see
http://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32 for info. If you don't fancy
compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on connectors/cables
http://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find the connector/cable you
need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure you will
find software to do just what you want.

I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a serial
port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software for.

Dave.

joshua__lim@hotmail.com 04-18-2007 05:21 AM

On Mar 17, 12:56 am, "Dave" <D...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
> > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
> > PC, the cellphone will send anSMStxt out to a predetermined list of
> > recipients.

> > This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
> > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
> > am searching badly...

> > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
> > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
> > totally in-house.

> > Any ideas anyone?

> > Thanks,

> Alan,
> Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available onhttp://www.gnokii.org/but you will need to compile it yourself, seehttp://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32for info. If you don't fancy
> compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on connectors/cableshttp://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find the connector/cable you
> need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure you will
> find software to do just what you want.
>
> I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a serial
> port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software for.
>
> Dave.

There are plenty of such Email to SMS solutions around, you can take a
look at this example - http://www.visualgsm.com/online_demo2.htm. You
can also set to forward all SMS received on an Email POP3 account to a
specific group of SMS or SMS user.

Alan 04-18-2007 09:02 AM

<joshua__lim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1176873667.893529.32870@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
> On Mar 17, 12:56 am, "Dave" <D...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Alan wrote:
>> > Hi All,

>> > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with
>> > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to
>> > the
>> > PC, the cellphone will send anSMStxt out to a predetermined list
>> > of
>> > recipients.

>> > This seems like something that should be really easy and very
>> > common,
>> > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google -
>> > perhaps I
>> > am searching badly...

>> > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd
>> > rather
>> > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep
>> > it
>> > totally in-house.

>> > Any ideas anyone?

>> > Thanks,

>> Alan,
>> Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available
>> onhttp://www.gnokii.org/but you will need to compile it yourself,
>> seehttp://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32for info. If you don't
>> fancy
>> compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on
>> connectors/cableshttp://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find
>> the connector/cable you
>> need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure
>> you will
>> find software to do just what you want.
>>
>> I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a
>> serial
>> port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software
>> for.
>>
>> Dave.

> There are plenty of such Email to SMS solutions around, you can take
> look at this example - http://www.visualgsm.com/online_demo2.htm.
> You
> can also set to forward all SMS received on an Email POP3 account to
> specific group of SMS or SMS user.

Hi Joshua,

This would be an alert covering, amongst other things, loss of
connectivity, so I really need it to go out via the cell network.

I was very explicit in my OP!

Thanks,

Alan.

dr mindfark 04-19-2007 09:48 PM

On Mar 6, 2:33 pm, "Alan" <a...@alan.alan> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
> cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
> PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
> recipients.
>
> This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
> but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
> am searching badly...
>
> I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
> do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
> totally in-house.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Alan.
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> 1bupdv...@sneakemail.com
>
> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>
> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

The best one i Think is NowSMS , It will use any "AT Command" capable
phone, It will send all sorts of MSG's like WAP & Multimedia Messages.
I am sure this is what alot of the SMS type gateways & SMS services
use.

A list of Compatible phones can be found at

at http://www.nowsms.com/framer.htm?htt...es/1/4218.html

Alan 04-20-2007 02:15 AM

Re: SMS out from PC (linked to cellphone?)

Thanks 'Doc'

--

news:1177019297.364043.170560@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...