Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need new phone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580684-need-new-phone.html)

David 02-07-2007 11:07 AM

Need new phone

So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open messages.
So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's like, except
it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have good predictive
text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good contact list would
be nice, actually it just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's
about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to
other brands.

whome 02-07-2007 07:00 PM

Re: Need new phone

"David" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it for
> the last few months, splicing together new messages with old messages,
> half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting messages in a
> random order and now completely refusing to open messages. So I want a new
> phone. Don't really care much what it's like, except it's gotta be fast.
> No sluggish menus. It's gotta have good predictive text and be able to
> store a lot of messages. A good contact list would be nice, actually it
> just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any
> suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

can you wait for the nokia n95....mmmm...niicee..

Richard 02-07-2007 11:20 PM

Re: Need new phone

David wrote:
> So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
> for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
> messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
> messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open messages.
> So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's like, except
> it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have good predictive
> text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good contact list would
> be nice, actually it just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's
> about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to
> other brands.

Mine did that once, delete all the sms's on the phone in drafts, inbox
and outbox and it should come right.

~misfit~ 02-07-2007 11:26 PM

Re: Need new phone

David wrote:
> So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
> for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
> messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
> messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open
> messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's
> like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have
> good predictive text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good
> contact list would be nice, actually it just needs to use the
> contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever
> had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features range as
the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble with sending
texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the alarm?) and a few other
things. It's overly complex. I'm about to ask the person who I donated my
old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap it back for the new Motorola. (I've also
used soley Nokia for years, must be spoilt).

Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?) suitable for your needs?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

David 02-08-2007 12:43 AM

Re: Need new phone

~misfit~ wrote:
> David wrote:
>> So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually doing it
>> for the last few months, splicing together new messages with old
>> messages, half way through a sentence so they're unreadable, putting
>> messages in a random order and now completely refusing to open
>> messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really care much what it's
>> like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish menus. It's gotta have
>> good predictive text and be able to store a lot of messages. A good
>> contact list would be nice, actually it just needs to use the
>> contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any suggestions? I've only ever
>> had nokias but I'm open to other brands.

> I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features range as
> the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble with sending
> texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the alarm?) and a few other
> things. It's overly complex. I'm about to ask the person who I donated my
> old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap it back for the new Motorola. (I've also
> used soley Nokia for years, must be spoilt).
>
> Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?) suitable for your needs?
>
> Cheers,

Bought one today and I don't like it. The screen is smaller, and most of
it's taken up by the names of the softkey functions along the bottom of
the screen, the size of the text is huge and can't be changed. Makes
reading messages etc quite difficult (2 lines at a time, hardly 2 words
per line).

~misfit~ 02-08-2007 04:49 AM

Re: Need new phone

David wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > David wrote:
> > > So my trusty nokia 1100 just went insane. It's been gradually
> > > doing it for the last few months, splicing together new messages
> > > with old messages, half way through a sentence so they're
> > > unreadable, putting messages in a random order and now completely
> > > refusing to open messages. So I want a new phone. Don't really
> > > care much what it's like, except it's gotta be fast. No sluggish
> > > menus. It's gotta have good predictive text and be able to store
> > > a lot of messages. A good contact list would be nice, actually it
> > > just needs to use the contacts on my SIM. That's about it. Any
> > > suggestions? I've only ever had nokias but I'm open to other
> > > brands.

> > I bought a Motorola W220 last week, about the same price/features
> > range as the Nokia 1100. While it's a stylish phone, I have trouble
> > with sending texts, setting the alarm (It wants me to name the
> > alarm?) and a few other things. It's overly complex. I'm about to
> > ask the person who I donated my old 1100 to and ask if they'll swap
> > it back for the new Motorola. (I've also used soley Nokia for
> > years, must be spoilt). Isn't the replacement for the 1100 (1100i?)
> > suitable for your needs?

> Bought one today and I don't like it. The screen is smaller, and most
> of it's taken up by the names of the softkey functions along the
> bottom of the screen, the size of the text is huge and can't be
> changed. Makes reading messages etc quite difficult (2 lines at a
> time, hardly 2 words per line).

That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
similar replacement.

What's with all this replacement models anyway? Why replace something that
is doing it's job and is getting a good chunk of the market? Bloody stupid
IYAM. Perhaps someone should see if 1100 (classic) phones are still
available overseas, India or somewhere, and parallel import them. I know of
several people who are looking to replace theirs with something similar,
people who don't want 3G, phone-cameras, email on the phone. People who just
want a simple, uncluttered cell phone.

</rant>

I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few stores for
old stock....
--
Shaun.

~misfit~ 02-08-2007 04:52 AM

Re: Need new phone

~misfit~ wrote:

> I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
> stores for old stock....

DSE have a few clearance units...

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/E2618

Can you take the 1100i back?
--
Shaun.

David 02-08-2007 05:57 AM

Re: Need new phone

~misfit~ wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
>> stores for old stock....

> DSE have a few clearance units...
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/E2618
>
> Can you take the 1100i back?

I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be quick.
Thanks for that.

Jason Clinton 02-08-2007 07:27 AM

Re: Need new phone

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:49:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahookers.com.au> wrote:

>That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
>reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
>similar replacement.

I think you made a wise choice. The Motorola W220 is a cheap phone
with a cheap interface designed to sell on the basis of it being a
cheap clamshell/flip phone.

The V360V is a much better phone for $199 (or cheaper) and IMO is the
best value phone out there considering it takes microsd cards so you
can store your MP3's on.

Check out the other threads about installing itunes on it too.

Richard 02-08-2007 09:47 AM

Re: Need new phone

~misfit~ wrote:

> That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that Motorola
> reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame that there isn't a
> similar replacement.

The new one has the bloody 2 softkeys and red and green button
interface, I hate that, and I dread the idea of getting mum trained up
in using one of those for when she is phone sitting for me.