Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista advice sought (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580647-vista-advice-sought.html)

Bystander 02-03-2007 02:59 AM

Vista advice sought

Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
I'm ready to roll.

But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.

I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?

By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
--
Bystander

Rob 02-03-2007 04:16 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

"Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> I'm ready to roll.
>
> But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
>
> I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
>
> By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
> --
> Bystander

You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

Nathan Mercer 02-03-2007 06:15 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

On Feb 2, 8:16 pm, "Rob" <r...@hottmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> > I'm ready to roll.

> > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.

> > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?

> > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

I would be inclined to contact the creator of the software called DVD
Region-Free, and ask them if it is supported on Windows Vista

Microsoft does not know the application compatibility status of every
single piece of software out there

Cheers
Nathan

whoisthis 02-03-2007 06:34 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote:

> "Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> > I'm ready to roll.
> >
> > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
> >
> > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
> >
> > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
> > --
> > Bystander

> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying the
> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

Rob 02-03-2007 06:42 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

"whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
> In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
>> > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
>> > I'm ready to roll.
>> >
>> > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
>> > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
>> > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
>> >
>> > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
>> > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
>> > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
>> > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
>> >
>> > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to
>> > Linux.
>> > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
>> > --
>> > Bystander

>> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
>> the
>> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

> and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
> is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
players.

E. Scrooge 02-03-2007 07:07 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

"Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:1170484660.474476@ftpsrv1...

> "whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
>> In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message

>>> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
>>> the
>>> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

>> and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
>> is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

> It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
> purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
> players.

It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell Region 4 only players either.

Very unlikely for Mincrosoft US to support region free zones. Multi zone
works well enough on XP only people with Vista will ever know if they can
free the region lock for good or not.

E. Scrooge

whoisthis 02-03-2007 07:30 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

In article <1170484660.474476@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote:

> "whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
> > In article <1170475924.748901@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <rob@hottmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message

> >> You should contact Microsoft, as they are the ones that you are buying
> >> the
> >> product from. I am sure they would know the answer.

> > and tell them that in New Zealand DVD players are region free because it
> > is legal to do so..... and that zoned DVD players do NOT sell.

> It is not illegal for NZ businesses to sell region free DVD players. I
> purchased one from Farmers and DSE and the warehouse sell region free
> players.

Umm... read slowly and you will see I said the same thing.

Cadae 02-03-2007 08:56 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

"Bystander" <Bystander@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> I'm ready to roll.
>
> But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
>
> I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
>
> By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.
> --
> Bystander

If you have no luck with Vista support, you could try a hardware solution as
follows:

For the price of a couple of DVDs you could purchase a region-free DVD
player for your PC.
If you can't find a region-free player, then it may be possible to install a
cheap second DVD player and assign a different region code to it.

PC

Earl Grey 02-03-2007 11:05 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

Bystander wrote:
> Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> I'm ready to roll.
>
> But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
>
> I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
>
> By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

VLC runs on Vista and doesn't care about regions.

Bystander 02-03-2007 11:15 AM

Re: Vista advice sought

In article <45c46c4d$1@clear.net.nz>, Earl Grey <eg@t.pot> wrote:

> Bystander wrote:
> > Well, I'm just about ready for an upgrade to Vista now: a 2GHz CPU, a
> > new Microsoft-approved NVidia card, 2GB RAM, adequate hard disk space;
> > I'm ready to roll.
> >
> > But one thing stays my hand: I run a piece of software called DVD
> > Region-Free on my XP PC so that I can use the PC to watch DVD from the
> > US and UK as well as our region 4 DVDs.
> >
> > I understand that Vista's DRM is insanely oppressive when it comes to
> > High Definition video formats, but that doesn't yet concern me. I am
> > worried though, that if I install Vista I won't be able to freely watch
> > DVDs. Does anyone know what the story is here?
> >
> > By the way, please don't waste my time by telling me to switch to Linux.
> > I get all the *nix I want from my Macs, thanks.

> VLC runs on Vista and doesn't care about regions.

Ah, right. I'll give it a try -- and thanks for that.
--
Bystander