Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580603-vista-ultimate-nz-price-vs-us-price.html)

whome 01-30-2007 12:41 AM

Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
(http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)

US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).

I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
the NZ version come with additional functionality?

Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

Fred 01-30-2007 01:17 AM

Re: Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

"whome" <whome@gmail.com> wrote in message
> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>
> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
> Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>
> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

Buy one from the USA. I'm not Brett - but that's the answer.

whome 01-30-2007 01:36 AM

"Fred" <general@zaradise.net.uk> wrote in message

> "whome" <whome@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>
>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>>
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
>> Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>
>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?
>>

> Buy one from the USA. I'm not Brett - but that's the answer.

I don't intend on purchasing for some time but will certainly source a
cheaper version from overseas at that time.

I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here cos our
wages are much less than in the US.

Nik Coughlin 01-30-2007 01:36 AM

whome wrote:
> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>
> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in
> NZ? Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>
> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

Corel does the same. Purchase downloadable software from their website, and
it asks you what country you're in and adjusts the price to suit. NZ prices
are nearly double US prices. Though you can just tell it you're in the US
and save nearly 50%. Or so I've heard :P

AD. 01-30-2007 01:41 AM

On Jan 30, 1:41 pm, "whome" <w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
> the NZ version come with additional functionality?

There are many other factors to be considered: stamp duty, window tax,
swamp insurance, hen food, dog biscuits, cow ointment - the expenses
are endless.

--
Cheers
Anton

Rob S 01-30-2007 02:27 AM

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> whome wrote:
>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>
>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>>
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in
>> NZ? Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>
>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

> Corel does the same. Purchase downloadable software from their website, and
> it asks you what country you're in and adjusts the price to suit. NZ prices
> are nearly double US prices. Though you can just tell it you're in the US
> and save nearly 50%. Or so I've heard :P

Probably does automatic country checking via your ip address. Set up a
US based proxy though...

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Unix, BASIC, C, PASCAL, APL, ADA, and PROFANITY spoken here.

Phil 01-30-2007 02:34 AM

AD. wrote, On 30/01/07 2.41 p:
> On Jan 30, 1:41 pm, "whome" <w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
>> the NZ version come with additional functionality?

> There are many other factors to be considered: stamp duty, window tax,
> swamp insurance, hen food, dog biscuits, cow ointment - the expenses
> are endless.

However, the final boxes are assembled in Indonesia (or somewhere around
there). Similar costs must apply to bring it to the US as it does to
bring it to NZ.

-Phil

noddy 01-30-2007 02:48 AM

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:36:09 +1300, "whome" <whome@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Fred" <general@zaradise.net.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "whome" <whome@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>>
>>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm
>>>
>>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
>>> Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>>
>>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?
>>>

>> Buy one from the USA. I'm not Brett - but that's the answer.
>>

>I don't intend on purchasing for some time but will certainly source a
>cheaper version from overseas at that time.
>
>I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here cos our
>wages are much less than in the US.

I hope you are whining that we are poor and so they should take pityon
us and charge us less. No, I am sure you are not as lame as that.

If you are suggesting that because their wages bill is lower in their
NZ branch then their software should be cheaper, you misunderstand how
businesses run. They price according to profitability, and unit costs
not just staffing costs. They set a target for their profits below
which it is not worth their while having the hassle of running the
joint. Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
software without a qualm and given the pathetically small size of our
business economy the pickings in NZ are relatively lean for MS. They
ramp up their costs until their projections show they have reached an
optimum level of price and turnover for maximum profit. In the US
they do exactly the same. The difference is that in the US their
turnover is so much greater that their per unit costs are much lower
than in NZ, thus their optimum selling price is lower.

impossible 01-30-2007 03:41 AM

"noddy" <noddy@toyland.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:36:09 +1300, "whome" <whome@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here
>>cos our
>>wages are much less than in the US.
>>

> I hope you are whining that we are poor and so they should take
> pityon
> us and charge us less. No, I am sure you are not as lame as that.
>
> If you are suggesting that because their wages bill is lower in
> their
> NZ branch then their software should be cheaper, you misunderstand
> how
> businesses run. They price according to profitability, and unit
> costs
> not just staffing costs. They set a target for their profits below
> which it is not worth their while having the hassle of running the
> joint. Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs
> pirated
> software without a qualm and given the pathetically small size of
> our
> business economy the pickings in NZ are relatively lean for MS. They
> ramp up their costs until their projections show they have reached
> an
> optimum level of price and turnover for maximum profit. In the US
> they do exactly the same. The difference is that in the US their
> turnover is so much greater that their per unit costs are much lower
> than in NZ, thus their optimum selling price is lower.

Wow! All this time time I thought no one could possibly believe the
nonsense they're taught in intro econ and business courses. But you're
living proof that I was wrong.

Bobs 01-30-2007 04:52 AM

Re: Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

On Jan 30, 1:41 pm, "whome" <w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>
> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm
>
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
> the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>
> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

Buy Office 2007 instead. XP is robust and I don't see the need to
update to Vista. Office 2003 is old and creaky and stale, and Office
2007 is far superior and the leader in its field by a large margin.