Velocity Reviews

-   -   Measure data usage by IP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580543-measure-data-usage-by-ip.html)

Nik Coughlin 01-23-2007 04:05 AM

Measure data usage by IP

How can I track how much individual users on our network download from the
Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

Justin 01-23-2007 04:28 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> How can I track how much individual users on our network download from the
> Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

If you have an ADSL connection then I'd suggest IPCOP box in between
your LAN and the router. A couple of addons, and script or two and you
get all the logging you want.

I have used this system at three clients and the individuals responsible
were hung, drawn and quartered by their respective managers.

Want a hand setting this up (in Auckland that it). I am available for my
usual hourly rate!!!
Regards

Justin

Mathew Good 01-23-2007 04:43 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:05:31 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn.com@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I track how much individual users on our network download from the
>Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

So Simple

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=net...&start=10&sa=N

This is free

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/nsl.htm

A bit old now..

Mathew Good 01-23-2007 04:48 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:05:31 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn.com@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I track how much individual users on our network download from the
>Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

One more

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942

whome 01-23-2007 05:09 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

"Justin" <legrice@nix2spam.i4free.co.nz> wrote in message
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> How can I track how much individual users on our network download from
>> the Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

> If you have an ADSL connection then I'd suggest IPCOP box in between your
> LAN and the router. A couple of addons, and script or two and you get all
> the logging you want.
>
> I have used this system at three clients and the individuals responsible
> were hung, drawn and quartered by their respective managers.
>
> Want a hand setting this up (in Auckland that it). I am available for my
> usual hourly rate!!!
> Regards
>
> Justin

whats your usual hourly rate? Hopefully not as much as a plumber.

Dave Taylor 01-23-2007 07:36 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

Justin <legrice@nix2spam.i4free.co.nz> wrote in news:45b58ece$1
@clear.net.nz:

> If you have an ADSL connection then I'd suggest IPCOP box in between
> your LAN and the router. A couple of addons, and script or two and you
> get all the logging you want.

IPCop rocks, what addon do you use for this feature? Or do you MRTG the
raw logs dumped to a pc?

--
Ciao, Dave

Hank 01-24-2007 12:04 AM

Re: Measure data usage by IP

On Jan 23, 5:05 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I track how much individual users on our network download from the
> Internet? We keep blowing our cap.

I use Softperfects Bandwidth Manager

http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/

Its good, full of excellent features and is fairly cheap to purchase.

Hank.