Velocity Reviews

-   -   floppy drive problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580504-floppy-drive-problem.html)

Craig Sutton 01-17-2007 08:04 AM

floppy drive problem

On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp. It will
boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in the device
manager and cannot be used.

I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem remains. Any
ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable unistall remove
floppy controller etc.

Rebel Lion 01-17-2007 08:48 AM

Re: floppy drive problem

Craig Sutton wrote:

> On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp. It will
> boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in the
> device manager and cannot be used.
>
> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem remains.
> Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable unistall
> remove floppy controller etc.

Maybe something else calling on that drive letter, try setting it to B in
the bios. Also just an aside and I have seen it, the wrong part of the
floppy lead is plugged into the drive ie the noncrossover one. It will
often boot in that condition. Or it is a lead that doesn't have the
crossover so you have to set the bios to reverse floppy or something like
that, can't remember the wording.

--
*~~~~Rebel

Craig Sutton 01-17-2007 09:33 AM

Re: floppy drive problem

"Rebel Lion" <rebel@tscii.corn> wrote in message
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>
>> On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp. It will
>> boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in the
>> device manager and cannot be used.
>>
>> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem remains.
>> Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable unistall
>> remove floppy controller etc.

> Maybe something else calling on that drive letter, try setting it to B in
> the bios. Also just an aside and I have seen it, the wrong part of the
> floppy lead is plugged into the drive ie the noncrossover one. It will
> often boot in that condition. Or it is a lead that doesn't have the
> crossover so you have to set the bios to reverse floppy or something like
> that, can't remember the wording.

This is an old H.P machine, no bios options relating to settng it as B:

I expect a reformat would fix it ..

Rebel Lion 01-17-2007 09:45 AM

Re: floppy drive problem

Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Rebel Lion" <rebel@tscii.corn> wrote in message
>> Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp. It
>>> will boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in
>>> the device manager and cannot be used.
>>>
>>> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem remains.
>>> Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable unistall
>>> remove floppy controller etc.

>> Maybe something else calling on that drive letter, try setting it to B
>> in
>> the bios. Also just an aside and I have seen it, the wrong part of the
>> floppy lead is plugged into the drive ie the noncrossover one. It will
>> often boot in that condition. Or it is a lead that doesn't have the
>> crossover so you have to set the bios to reverse floppy or something like
>> that, can't remember the wording.
>>

> This is an old H.P machine, no bios options relating to settng it as B:

Bugger springs to mind :) some of those hp machines are very hardware
picky though, so it could be that the first one is stuffed and it doesn't
like the others even though they are fine.

> I expect a reformat would fix it ..

If the above scenario is what has happened maybe not.

--
*~~~~Rebel

Dave Taylor 01-17-2007 10:11 AM

Re: floppy drive problem

"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote in

> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem
> remains. Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine
> enable/disable unistall remove floppy controller etc.

USB floppy, or fdisk.

--
Ciao, Dave

impossible 01-17-2007 03:00 PM

Re: floppy drive problem

"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Rebel Lion" <rebel@tscii.corn> wrote in message
>> Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp.
>>> It will
>>> boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in
>>> the
>>> device manager and cannot be used.
>>>
>>> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem
>>> remains.
>>> Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable
>>> unistall
>>> remove floppy controller etc.

>> Maybe something else calling on that drive letter, try setting it
>> to B in
>> the bios. Also just an aside and I have seen it, the wrong part of
>> the
>> floppy lead is plugged into the drive ie the noncrossover one. It
>> will
>> often boot in that condition. Or it is a lead that doesn't have the
>> crossover so you have to set the bios to reverse floppy or
>> something like
>> that, can't remember the wording.
>>

> This is an old H.P machine, no bios options relating to settng it as
> B:
>
> I expect a reformat would fix it ..

Just run a repair installation. That keeps all the applications and
user settings intact. Much simpler.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-18-2007 06:49 AM

Re: floppy drive problem

In message <eokl3f$t4p$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Craig Sutton wrote:

> On a pc i have here to fix up. The floppy drive won't work in Xp. It will
> boot off a floppy fine. But in Windows it has the ! beside it in the
> device manager and cannot be used.
>
> I've already plugged in 3 other floppy drives, but same problem remains.
> Any ideas? and yes I have done the usual routine enable/disable unistall
> remove floppy controller etc.

Have you tried it with a Linux live CD, just for comparison?