Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580456-gigabyte-ga-sinxp-394-p4-titan-dying-sata-hdds.html)

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-10-2007 07:33 PM

Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
Hi Guys,

Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.

It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
windows load.

Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.

Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
Nero, when again the drive crashed.

We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
bytes and file system raw.

It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.

Cheers

-Al


Justin Brown - SYNACS 01-10-2007 10:21 PM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
PSU cable and the drive?


BigAl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.
>
> It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
> I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
> capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
> windows load.
>
> Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
> formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
> recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.
>
> Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
> up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
> Nero, when again the drive crashed.
>
> We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
> bytes and file system raw.
>
> It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
> cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al



BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-10-2007 10:52 PM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
Have unplugged all extra devices.

Additionally I have just discovered a large yellow exclamation mark in
device manager next to the Sil Image SATA controller.

Error Code 39.

HTH

-Al


Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-11-2007 01:40 AM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
In message <1168457607.664784.91310@i56g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:

> It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
> I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
> capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
> windows load.
>
> Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
> formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
> recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.
>
> Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
> up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
> Nero, when again the drive crashed.
>
> We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
> bytes and file system raw.
>
> It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
> cable?


Since you have another PC to try, why not put the drive and the cable into
that one for a while and see if it acts up.

Mathew Good 01-11-2007 02:54 AM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
On 10 Jan 2007 11:33:27 -0800, BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.
>
>It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
>I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
>capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
>windows load.
>
>Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
>formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
>recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.
>
>Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
>up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
>Nero, when again the drive crashed.
>
>We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
>bytes and file system raw.
>
>It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
>cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.
>
>Cheers
>
>-Al




Their is good support here for Gigabyte, my MoBo came via BDT, also Gigabyte has support on there
Web site, but it can be a bit slow.

If its a new board just get it replaced.



BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-11-2007 04:51 AM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
A bit more detal.

A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
manager under:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Will keep testing....

Cheers

-Al

Blue wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:21:59 -0800, Justin Brown - SYNACS wrote:
>
> > Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
> > The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
> > there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
> > PSU cable and the drive?

>
> While we on this line of thought, the power supply is not playing up?



Mark Robinson 01-11-2007 05:07 AM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:
> A bit more detal.
>
> A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.


Which sectors ?

> The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
> but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
> using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
> manager under:


Hmmm

Blue 01-11-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:21:59 -0800, Justin Brown - SYNACS wrote:

> Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
> The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
> there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
> PSU cable and the drive?


While we on this line of thought, the power supply is not playing up?


BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-13-2007 08:04 AM

Re: Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?
 
Looks like it was the PSU. Days before all this started to happen they
had plugged ANOTHER device into the USB port. It took a few days before
the bad sectors hit a important file and the PC stopped booting.

-Al



Mark Robinson wrote:
> BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:
> > A bit more detal.
> >
> > A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

>
> Which sectors ?
>
> > The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
> > but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
> > using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
> > manager under:

>
> Hmmm




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.