Velocity Reviews

-   -   Faulty Digital Camera (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580178-faulty-digital-camera.html)

Chris Lim 11-28-2006 06:25 AM

Faulty Digital Camera

My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed position by
itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to 'play' mode I
can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.

Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

El Penguino 11-28-2006 07:10 AM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

On 27 Nov 2006 22:25:06 -0800, "Chris Lim" <blackcap80@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
>opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed position by
>itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to 'play' mode I
>can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.
>
>Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
>a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

Everythings repairable, but is it worth it? Whats this camera worth -
how good is it? A repair tech will cost 80-$100/hr + parts @ $60-$125
for a board (going from experience with another brand) and at the end
of it you will have a working but 2nd hand camera.

Where are you?

HTH,
El P

Dave Taylor 11-28-2006 07:38 AM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

"Chris Lim" <blackcap80@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1164695106.184671.167120
@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
> a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

Sounds like the lens limit switch or lens motor overcurrent. Gently help
it further? Sand grain? Camera shop? Do it yourself?
Buy a new one? Post in NZ.tech?

Post in nz.tech is probably the right answer.

--
Ciao, Dave

Matty F 11-28-2006 09:39 AM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

Chris Lim wrote:
> My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
> opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed position by
> itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to 'play' mode I
> can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.
>
> Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
> a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

There is a recall out for the A85 and other cameras.
If it qualifies, it might be fixed for free:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/cgi-...p?p_faqid=4304

Vista 11-28-2006 10:48 AM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

Go into the canon forums at www.dpreview.com

~misfit~ 11-28-2006 11:51 PM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

Matty F wrote:
> Chris Lim wrote:
> > My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
> > opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed
> > position by itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to
> > 'play' mode I can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the
> > lens to open.
> >
> > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound
> > like a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new
> > camera?

> There is a recall out for the A85 and other cameras.
> If it qualifies, it might be fixed for free:
>
> http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/cgi-...p?p_faqid=4304

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have an A70 that I've had a
couple of years that still serves my needs admirably. However, if it should
ever exhibit the described fault, I know to contact Canon and not just throw
it away.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding"
Albert Einstein

kiwianalog 11-29-2006 06:46 AM

Re: Faulty Digital Camera

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahookers.com.au> wrote in message
> Matty F wrote:
> > Chris Lim wrote:
> > > My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
> > > opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed
> > > position by itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to
> > > 'play' mode I can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the
> > > lens to open.
> > >
> > > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound
> > > like a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new
> > > camera?

Yep, one possible fix is to plug it into your tv on play, then switch to
record mode, something like that anyhow, can't quite remember but it worked
for me.