Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to a router / switch? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580175-xtra-starter-kit-modem-does-it-connect-using-ethernet-to-a-router-switch.html)

Alan 11-28-2006 04:48 AM

Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to a router / switch?

Hi All,

I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).

On their site
(http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
at once (albeit more slowly)?

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

David Goodwin 11-28-2006 06:47 AM

Re: Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to a router / switch?

Try looking at the modems specs on the DLink website.

I would think that the modem would have a router built in but if it
doesnt you can always build your own using an old PC and a linux
distro like Smoothwall or IPCop

thingy 11-28-2006 06:49 AM

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
> Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
> say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
>
> On their site
> (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
> that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
> also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
> is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
> to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
> another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> at once (albeit more slowly)?

Depends on the diversification effect, if 3 of you are all downloading
cds of music at the same time, yes you will be slower. If you are all
web browsing no I would not expect you to notice the contention.

> Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.asp...&Sub2=2&PID=48

Says dhcp by default and it gives out a 10.xxxx range subnetted to a /24
so 250 odd machines, and designed for small offices....NAT
protection....nice little unit....

If you googled on the unit and downloaded the manual it says it all....

regards

Thing

Dave Taylor 11-28-2006 07:35 AM

"Alan" <alan@alan.alan> wrote in news:ekgfai$6du$1@aioe.org:

> then presumably I can connect it to
> another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> at once (albeit more slowly)?

Usually.
Sometimes the first NIC that the modem sees, the MAC address gets "locked"
into the modem and that is your "pc". That said, NZ ISPs don't seem to lock
their equipment down by MAC address, so yeah, just share it after the
router you drop in downstream. People do this and it may be against their
terms and conditions, but they do it. A valid reason is to have additional
protection from the internet. Just don't use USB and ICS. Use ethernet
and a dedicated firewall/NAT box. USB is a last resort.

--
Ciao, Dave

Earl Grey 11-28-2006 07:41 AM

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
> Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
> say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
>
> On their site
> (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
> that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
> also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
> is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
> to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
> another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> at once (albeit more slowly)?
>
> Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

The DSL 302 is a router, if you connect a switch to its ethernet port,
it will allocate up to 30 dhcp ip addresses

Peter Huebner 11-28-2006 10:40 AM

Re: Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to a router / switch?

In article <ekgfai$6du$1@aioe.org>, alan@alan.alan says...

> On their site
> (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
> that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
> also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
> is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
> to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
> another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> at once (albeit more slowly)?
>
> Is that correct?

The one my neighbours got sent initially was a simple adsl modem that allowed
connection either by usb or by rj45 ethernet cable. Either, or. No router or
switch involved.
Since they have two machines I suggested they call Xtra and try to get a
hardware upgrade to a router and that went over smoothly, they even got sent a
free courier bag to return the single port modem. Some times helpdroids are
even helpful ;-)

-Peter

David Empson 11-28-2006 12:02 PM

Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote:

> In article <ekgfai$6du$1@aioe.org>, alan@alan.alan says...
> >
> > On their site
> > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
> > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
> > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
> > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
> > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
> > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> > at once (albeit more slowly)?
> >
> > Is that correct?

> The one my neighbours got sent initially was a simple adsl modem that allowed
> connection either by usb or by rj45 ethernet cable. Either, or. No router or
> switch involved.

That's the DSL302, and I believe it supports simultaneous connections to
the USB and Ethernet ports (though I've never seen one set up like
that). It allocates different IP address ranges to each port.

You can connect an external hub or switch to the Ethernet port, and use
that to connect multiple computers to the ADSL modem. Its DHCP server
can allocate a maximum of 30 addresses, but you could connect more
computers than that with some extra hardware or manual configuration.

> Since they have two machines I suggested they call Xtra and try to get a
> hardware upgrade to a router and that went over smoothly, they even got sent a
> free courier bag to return the single port modem. Some times helpdroids are
> even helpful ;-)

That's probably an easier solution. On request, Telecom will supply the
DSL504, which has a built-in four port Ethernet switch (and no USB
port).

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

jasen 11-28-2006 07:51 PM

On 2006-11-28, Alan <alan@alan.alan> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
> Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
> say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
>
> On their site
> (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,...203658,00.html) it says
> that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
> also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
> is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
> to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
> another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
> at once (albeit more slowly)?

Most ADSL modems are routers also.

In that case a switch would not increase ping times measurably
most modem+routers with several ethernet ports just have a
switch inside them. Data throughput would be shared.

If it's modem only the switch could still be used AIUI but you'd have to
configure one PC to be the router for the lan. Ping times could go up by
10ms or so, load-dependant. Data throughput would be shared.

--

Bye.
Jasen