Velocity Reviews

-   -   Gmail and downloading messages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580123-gmail-and-downloading-messages.html)

Flintstone 11-20-2006 11:29 PM

Gmail and downloading messages

Does anyone know how to stop Gmail from downloading conversations when
using a Pop3 client to retrieve email?

Currently I am using Thunderbird to download emails, but it downloads
ones that I send as well. Is there a setting in Gmail that can stop
this when downloading as I only wish to get new emails from people that
I have previously emailed. Not my own emails back again.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 11-21-2006 07:15 AM

Re: Gmail and downloading messages

In message <ejtdoo$npo$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Flintstone wrote:

> Does anyone know how to stop Gmail from downloading conversations when
> using a Pop3 client to retrieve email?
>
> Currently I am using Thunderbird to download emails, but it downloads
> ones that I send as well.

The assumption with POP3 is that every message being held on the server is
one that was sent _to_ you. I assume there is some Gmail feature where it
automatically includes you as a recipient in messages that you send,
instead of holding sent messages in a separate "Sent Items" folder the way
it's normally done. Perhaps there is something in the header that flags
such messages in some identifiable way?

Is Gmail accessible via IMAP?

Flintstone 11-21-2006 08:11 PM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <ejtdoo$npo$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Flintstone wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to stop Gmail from downloading conversations
> > when using a Pop3 client to retrieve email?
> >
> > Currently I am using Thunderbird to download emails, but it
> > downloads ones that I send as well.

> The assumption with POP3 is that every message being held on the
> server is one that was sent to you. I assume there is some Gmail
> feature where it automatically includes you as a recipient in
> messages that you send, instead of holding sent messages in a
> separate "Sent Items" folder the way it's normally done. Perhaps
> there is something in the header that flags such messages in some
> identifiable way?
>
> Is Gmail accessible via IMAP?

Not as of yet

Richard 11-21-2006 10:23 PM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Is Gmail accessible via IMAP?

No, its not, which is one of the reasons I don't like it.

Lack of folders is another.

I find hotmail to be much better, and the http access is even faster
then imap so thats another bonus.