Velocity Reviews

-   -   WMV distortion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580072-wmv-distortion.html)

SNOman 11-14-2006 01:51 AM

WMV distortion

Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.

Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
(windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
all version of windows media player right back to the default install
and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
installed, all to no avail.

What next?

Chris Lim 11-14-2006 02:01 AM

Re: WMV distortion

SNOman wrote:
> Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
>
> Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
> (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
> distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
> must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
> all version of windows media player right back to the default install
> and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
> installed, all to no avail.
>
> What next?

Have you tried VLC Player? I believe it doesn't use any external codecs
so if it is a codec problem then it might be okay.

Diogenes 11-14-2006 03:29 AM

Re: WMV distortion

SNOman wrote:
> Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
>
> Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
> (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
> distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
> must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
> all version of windows media player right back to the default install
> and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
> installed, all to no avail.
>
> What next?

Re-instal latest video card driver?

Good luck!

GraB 11-14-2006 05:43 AM

Re: WMV distortion

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:51:46 +1300, SNOman <spam_sux@sod_off.com>
wrote:

>Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
>
>Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
>(windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
>distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
>must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
>all version of windows media player right back to the default install
>and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
>installed, all to no avail.
>
>What next?

If it is a codec thing surely WMP will download the latest WMV codec.
Are you sure the file isn't DRM locked?

Dave Taylor 11-14-2006 07:26 AM

Re: WMV distortion

SNOman <spam_sux@sod_off.com> wrote in news:ejb7dg$pgu$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> What next?

Repair or parallel install if a play of the file on a different machine
works fine.
Codecs are one sure fire way to hose windows easily because they go in
easy, come out very hard, and can conflict.
Try Gspot to see what it wants.:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

--
Ciao, Dave

SNOman 11-14-2006 10:23 PM

Re: WMV distortion

Chris Lim wrote:
> SNOman wrote:
>> Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
>> (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
>> distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
>> must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
>> all version of windows media player right back to the default install
>> and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
>> installed, all to no avail.
>>
>> What next?

> Have you tried VLC Player? I believe it doesn't use any external codecs
> so if it is a codec problem then it might be okay.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Downloaded and installed. Interesting results. Opened wmv file. VLC
opened 3 additional windows. The wmv file was playing in each correctly
at what appeared to be different quality settings. However the original
player window showed the corrupted playback that I get in WMP