Velocity Reviews

-   -   NZ makes world history (in its own little way) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t580071-nz-makes-world-history-in-its-own-little-way.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 11-14-2006 01:20 AM

NZ makes world history (in its own little way)

Here's UserFriendly's take
<http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061112&mode=classic> on the
recent NZQA decision to allow txt-speak in exam answers.

Fran 11-14-2006 04:54 AM

Re: NZ makes world history (in its own little way)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Here's UserFriendly's take
> <http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061112&mode=classic> on the
> recent NZQA decision to allow txt-speak in exam answers.

NZQA have not allowed it apparantly.

Fran
:):):)

Brian Dooley 11-14-2006 09:27 AM

Re: NZ makes world history (in its own little way)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:20:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>Here's UserFriendly's take
><http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061112&mode=classic> on the
>recent NZQA decision to allow txt-speak in exam answers.

'Letters' in Monday's DomPost says it isn't true. Bali Haque of
the NZQA, in closing a letter, writes:

"At all times the candidates priority should be to ensure that
their answers are clearly understandable to markers.
The best way to do this is to use standard English".

Not as explicit as I would like because he's saying, " Do what
you like, but you will lose marks for it if you get too clever"

I expect that teachers will make it crystal clear that it doesn't
pay to be a smart-arse.
--

Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand