Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox vs IceWeasel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579837-firefox-vs-iceweasel.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-14-2006 10:47 AM

Firefox vs IceWeasel

The code for Mozilla Firefox is open source, but both the Firefox name and
the logo are trademarks of Mozilla Corporation. They put all kinds of
restrictions on redistribution of the Firefox code under that name and
logo, and these restrictions have run afoul of Debian's Free Software
Guidelines <http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/09/1434251>.

The GNU folks have spearheaded a project to fork the Firefox code under the
name "IceWeasel" <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/>. They've already
started including some features not in Firefox. And I see some people are
already contributing proposals for a new logo
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceWeaselIcon>.

Blue 10-15-2006 05:19 AM

Re: Firefox vs IceWeasel

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:47:06 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The code for Mozilla Firefox is open source, but both the Firefox name and
> the logo are trademarks of Mozilla Corporation. They put all kinds of
> restrictions on redistribution of the Firefox code under that name and
> logo, and these restrictions have run afoul of Debian's Free Software
> Guidelines <http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/09/1434251>.
>
> The GNU folks have spearheaded a project to fork the Firefox code under the
> name "IceWeasel" <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/>. They've already
> started including some features not in Firefox. And I see some people are
> already contributing proposals for a new logo
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceWeaselIcon>.

Love those checks and balances eh?