Velocity Reviews

-   -   Spam via clear (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579811-spam-via-clear.html)

thingy 10-12-2006 06:56 AM

Spam via clear

Just looking at my spam filter efficiency...out of the 13 spam I got
today, only one got in directly, the other 12 from Clear.....in fact
over 3 days I got one directly and 44 via clear....

So grey-listing works......pity Clear does not use grey-listing.....

Anybody else finding Clear as bad these days?

regards

Thing

Jerry 10-12-2006 07:21 AM

Re: Spam via clear

thingy wrote:
> Just looking at my spam filter efficiency...out of the 13 spam I got
> today, only one got in directly, the other 12 from Clear.....in fact
> over 3 days I got one directly and 44 via clear....
>
> So grey-listing works......pity Clear does not use grey-listing.....
>
> Anybody else finding Clear as bad these days?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I got the following e-mail from them:

"We would like to inform you of a change to our spam and anti virus
protection policy.

As spam volumes continue to increase, the percentage of incoming email
that is classified as spam is also increasing. To address this issue,
clear.net and paradise.net will be automatically blocking all email
identified as being from recognised senders of spam.

This change will reduce the volume of spam reaching your mailbox and
will be introduced from October 15th 2006. There is nothing you need to
do as the change is made on our mail servers.

For further information on how incoming spam will be handled, please
look at the terms and conditions of your clear.net or paradise.net
service, which can be viewed by clicking on the relevant link below."

I don['t know how much they are filtering, but about 10 - 15 spams are
getting through daily now, it seems to keep increasing.

dilberts_left_nut 10-12-2006 08:48 AM

Re: Spam via clear

"Jerry" <stoebe@ignore.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> thingy wrote:
>> Just looking at my spam filter efficiency...out of the 13 spam I got
>> today, only one got in directly, the other 12 from Clear.....in fact over
>> 3 days I got one directly and 44 via clear....
>>
>> So grey-listing works......pity Clear does not use grey-listing.....
>>
>> Anybody else finding Clear as bad these days?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> I got the following e-mail from them:
>
> "We would like to inform you of a change to our spam and anti virus
> protection policy.
>
> As spam volumes continue to increase, the percentage of incoming email
> that is classified as spam is also increasing. To address this issue,
> clear.net and paradise.net will be automatically blocking all email
> identified as being from recognised senders of spam.
>
> This change will reduce the volume of spam reaching your mailbox and will
> be introduced from October 15th 2006. There is nothing you need to do as
> the change is made on our mail servers.
>
> For further information on how incoming spam will be handled, please look
> at the terms and conditions of your clear.net or paradise.net service,
> which can be viewed by clicking on the relevant link below."
>
> I don['t know how much they are filtering, but about 10 - 15 spams are
> getting through daily now, it seems to keep increasing.

On our mailserver at work the current incoming spam is 82% of all mail.

Use a bayseian filter like http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
Feed it your flavour of spam and good mail (ham is such a stupid name for
it) and it will learn fast.

Mike Newman 10-12-2006 08:49 AM

Re: Spam via clear

Likewise here.

But when they block those spammers, how can I be sure they are real
spammers, and not legitimate users whose addresses have been taken
over by spammers.

I don't want to lose legit users who subscribe to the same newsgroups
as I do.

de miken

juicyjuice 10-13-2006 03:03 AM

Re: Spam via clear

On my first day of joining clear.. had not given out or used my brand new
email address from clear at all. Setup outlook, hit send/recieve and got 6
spam emails.

go figure.. lol

Craig Whitmore 10-13-2006 03:14 AM

Re: Spam via clear

Its called dictionary spam.

if you don't want spam.. then pick an email address somethign like
firstname123lastname@isp :-)

juicyjuice 10-13-2006 11:26 AM

Re: Spam via clear

my email address does not use any common words or names, it is a made up
series of letters :)

nice try tho :P
brute force spam? lolol