Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do you realy Need HD TV..? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579783-do-you-realy-need-hd-tv.html)

Jack Hammond 10-08-2006 11:24 PM

Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

Mutlley 10-08-2006 11:47 PM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:

>Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>

>http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

It seems that HDTV standards have been hijacked by Hollywood these
days.

thingy 10-08-2006 11:52 PM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Jack Hammond wrote:
> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>

> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

Everything I can see is, dont bother.....just watch the entire debacle
fall about the TV execs ankles......

They have made the assumption that consumers are willing to pay no
matter what....I did not get my TV replaced when it blew and there seem
to be a number of other like minded people about (who dont want their
kids vegetated by TVs)...TV sucks so why get one.....so why pay lots
more for hi-definition crap.....

So all I do now is buy DVDs, if they make that too hard I will either
give up or just get pirated stuff, it will be easier than legit....what
an oxy-moron...

regards

Thing

ants.bull@paradise.net.nz 10-09-2006 12:03 AM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

99% of "HD TVs" in New Zealand for sale are not true HD TVs. Even if
they say they are HD-ready they are not.

It is better to wait until true 1080p (1920x1080 resolution) supporting
TVs are available in New Zealand before buying the shite that is
currently available.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-09-2006 12:18 AM

Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

In message <u22ji2h7f00h26naq112g925p9nems7823@4ax.com>, Jack Hammond
<jm@yah***.com wrote:

> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

That's not my understanding of the article. It lists the acronyms to watch
for. And indeed the last lot of brochures to hit my mailbox did indeed
include the relevant ones: HDMI and HDCP. Keep focused on those, and you
should be all right.

XPD 10-09-2006 12:35 AM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

"Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message

> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>

> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

To answer your subject, No, I personally dont need/want it at this point.
I can see stuff clear enuff now on TV :)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-09-2006 12:43 AM

Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

In message <1160354133.308125@drone2.qsi.net.nz>, XPD wrote:

> To answer your subject, No, I personally dont need/want it at this point.
> I can see stuff clear enuff now on TV :)

I can't. I bought the boxed set of "From the Earth to the Moon", which
apparently was originally filmed in widescreen. The credits are virtually
illegible on my TV.

Steven Ellis 10-09-2006 01:05 AM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Jack Hammond wrote:
> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>

> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

There is an interesting article here
http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.

Steve

Mutley 10-09-2006 06:10 AM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

ants.bull@paradise.net.nz wrote:

>99% of "HD TVs" in New Zealand for sale are not true HD TVs. Even if
>they say they are HD-ready they are not.
>
>It is better to wait until true 1080p (1920x1080 resolution) supporting
>TVs are available in New Zealand before buying the shite that is
>currently available.

You may be interested in this set then.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pcworld/127391

Mutley 10-09-2006 06:16 AM

Re: Do you realy Need HD TV..?

"Steven Ellis" <steven.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jack Hammond wrote:
>> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
>>

>> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...alphabet_soup/

>There is an interesting article here
>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
>
>Steve

Thanx for the link.

After seeing those results the LCD TV is off the shopping list for a
year or two..