Velocity Reviews

-   -   BIOS beep code problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579516-bios-beep-code-problem.html)

miguellint@yahoo.com 09-01-2006 08:04 AM

BIOS beep code problem

Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
second-hand AM75-TC

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US

All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
helpful)

I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
cards etc).

I'm running from the onboard video chip.

I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.

I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
(supposedly) working system.

What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Miguel

Nicolaas Hawkins 09-01-2006 08:17 AM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

On 1 Sep 2006 01:04:57 -0700, <miguellint@yahoo.com> wrote in
<news:1157097897.267794.21650@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com>:

> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
> second-hand AM75-TC
>
> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
>
> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
> helpful)
>
> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
> cards etc).
>
> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
>
> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
>
> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
> (supposedly) working system.
>
> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Miguel

I would say that an under-powered PSU would be a very likely cause of your
problem ... to which there is only one solution - a gruntier PSU - and
don't forget to factor in the peripherals' needs as well. I'd say closer
to 350-400W.

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... What happens when you get scared half to death ... for the second
time?

Stephen Worthington 09-01-2006 01:16 PM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

On 1 Sep 2006 01:04:57 -0700, miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
>second-hand AM75-TC
>
>http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
>
>All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
>repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
>either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
>helpful)
>
>I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
>cards etc).
>
>I'm running from the onboard video chip.
>
>I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
>
>I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
>(supposedly) working system.
>
>What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
>the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
>current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
>
>Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
>underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
>connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
>have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
>
>Any advice appreciated.
>
>Regards
>Miguel

My DFI AD77 Pro motherboard has started doing something like that if I
leave it powered off for too long. It starts up, beeps, and shuts
down again. If I use the jumper to reset the CMOS settings for the
BIOS, it will then boot OK, so I think it just has a bad CMOS battery.
Since it is normally running 24/7, I have not yet gotten around to
replacing the CMOS battery though, so I can not say for sure if that
is all it is. My guess is that when the CMOS settings go bad, one of
the protection features is getting a bad value that makes the BIOS
think the CPU is overheating or something like that, so it does an
emergency shutdown.

A 235 W power supply is ample to just bring up the motherboard and one
stick of RAM, as long as it is able to supply all the voltages the
motherboard needs.

~misfit~ 09-02-2006 12:21 AM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
> second-hand AM75-TC
>
> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
>
> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
> helpful)
>
> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
> cards etc).
>
> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
>
> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
>
> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
> (supposedly) working system.
>
> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

It could be anything. Personally I doubt that the (old) mobo has the testing
capability built-in to detect the maximum power output of the PSU and beep
accordingly. 235W should be *plenty* to run the bare board. (I had a later
socket A board, with optical drives, two HDDs, AGP card and overclocked
running on a 250W) What CPU does he have in it?

I hope he didn't pay too much for it, that's an old board (no USB2, turn of
the century I'd say) and was pretty 'budget' when it was new. My first
thought is that the CPU is stuffed. Do you have another that you can swap
out to test? Are you prepared to risk another considering the mobo might
have destroyed the original? Probably best to test the CPU in another board.

Good luck.
--
Shaun.

miguellint@yahoo.com 09-02-2006 10:32 AM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
> second-hand AM75-TC
>
> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
>
> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
> helpful)
>
> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
> cards etc).
>
> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
>
> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
>
> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
> (supposedly) working system.
>
> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Miguel

Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.

Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.

Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
$40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
buy a swap-a-box for $300)

Thanks again for your advice....night all :-)
Miguel

Shank 09-02-2006 09:31 PM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:
> miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
>> second-hand AM75-TC
>>
>> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
>>
>> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
>> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
>> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
>> helpful)
>>
>> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
>> cards etc).
>>
>> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
>>
>> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
>>
>> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
>> (supposedly) working system.
>>
>> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
>> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
>> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
>>
>> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
>> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
>> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
>> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
>>
>> Any advice appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Miguel

> Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
> old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
> BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.
>
> Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.
>
> Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
> to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
> on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
> $40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
> the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
> buy a swap-a-box for $300)
>
> Thanks again for your advice....night all :-)
> Miguel

http://www.bioscentral.com/

has bios beep codes for most bioses

Rob

miguellint@yahoo.com 09-02-2006 11:21 PM

Re: BIOS beep code problem

Shank wrote:

> miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:
> > miguellint@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all...I'm replacing a motherboard for a friend. He bought a
> >> second-hand AM75-TC
> >>
> >> http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=MB&SITE=US
> >>
> >> All I'm getting is the cpu fan kicking in and then a three second long
> >> repeating beep from the POST. Award Bios beep codes say the problem is
> >> either memory, power supply or cpu. Not really all that specific (or
> >> helpful)
> >>
> >> I've no peripherals connected to the board yet (HD's, CD Drives, PCI
> >> cards etc).
> >>
> >> I'm running from the onboard video chip.
> >>
> >> I'm running with one stick of (tested) RAM.
> >>
> >> I don't know of the state of the CPU but it came with the board from a
> >> (supposedly) working system.
> >>
> >> What I think is causing the bios to error-beep is that the manual for
> >> the board says "The system board requires a minimum of 300W electric
> >> current" whereas the PSU in my friends box is rated at 235W.
> >>
> >> Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis. Or should a board with an
> >> underpowered PSU manage (at least) POST, especially as there's nothing
> >> connected to the board at the moment. The annoying thing is I don't
> >> have a 300W PSU to swap in to test my theory.
> >>
> >> Any advice appreciated.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Miguel

> > Thanks all for the advice.....I've had no joy with a different cpu (an
> > old 1.3G Duron I had). It didn't even manage a single beep from the
> > BIOS. The supplied 1.6G Athlon makes the BIOS beep but that's all.
> >
> > Reset the CMOS......nothing. New battery.....nothing.
> >
> > Not too sure what to do now but I'm tending towards giving it all back
> > to him and saying "give me $40 and I'll pick up an old socket A board
> > on trademe". Then if the Athlon and Duron I have don't work get another
> > $40 and buy an old socket A chip on trademe. At least I'll be in from
> > the beginning of the rebuild. (Actually I really feel like saying go
> > buy a swap-a-box for $300)
> >
> > Thanks again for your advice....night all :-)
> > Miguel
> >

> http://www.bioscentral.com/
>
> has bios beep codes for most bioses
>
> Rob

Hi Rob...Thanks for the url. I'd already checked it out earlier but it
wasn't that much help. Not the websites fault. Generally there's not
much info on Award beep codes.

Regards
Miguel