Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Vista to enforce region coding? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579488-windows-vista-to-enforce-region-coding.html)

Philip 08-28-2006 03:03 AM

Windows Vista to enforce region coding?

I just read on Michael Geist's pages
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1370/195/
a comment saying:

"I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will refuse
to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified to disable
region coding."

Anyone know any more about this? For many this would be pretty good
reason not to accept Vista.

Philip

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 08-29-2006 06:58 AM

Re: Windows Vista to enforce region coding?

In message <44f25da4$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Philip wrote:

> For many this would be pretty good reason not to accept Vista.

No it wouldn't. Microsoft Can Do No Wrong. The alternative is simply
unthinkable.

steve 09-01-2006 09:57 AM

Philip wrote:

> I just read on Michael Geist's pages
> http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1370/195/
> a comment saying:
>
> "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will refuse
> to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified to disable
> region coding."
>
> Anyone know any more about this? For many this would be pretty good
> reason not to accept Vista.
>
> Philip

Why wait?

Reject Windows NOW...and you'll barely notice (and care less) when the next
usage-limiting, wallet-emptying, virus-ridden piece of Microslop comes out.

I dumped WinXP when the SP1 EULA *required* me to give MS access to my
system when I was connected to the net.

That was just one imposition too far.....and that was 5 years ago.

Linux has been my mainstay and it more than lives up to every job i ask it
to do.

But then I started early, made the adjustment and have reaped the benefits
of that freedom and independence from MS slavery.

No viruses.
No adware.
No spyware.

Nothing but net.

Phil 09-01-2006 11:03 AM

Philip wrote, On 28/08/06 3.03 p:
> "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will refuse
> to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified to disable
> region coding."

They are dropping support for some old DVD drives. I don't see how
they'd even be able to check the firmware on every possible DVD drive to
see if it had been modified.

See: <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/12/09/502014.aspx>

-Phil

Richard 09-01-2006 11:46 AM

Phil wrote:
> Philip wrote, On 28/08/06 3.03 p:
>> "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will
>> refuse to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified
>> to disable region coding."

> They are dropping support for some old DVD drives. I don't see how
> they'd even be able to check the firmware on every possible DVD drive to
> see if it had been modified.
>
> See: <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/12/09/502014.aspx>

Lets just think back to the last time I put a region protected dvd-video disc
into my computer for any purpose other then dvd-decrypter/dvd shrinking......

Nope, cant think when that was.

However this decision will surely **** a lot of people with laptops off a great
deal having to mess around changing the region on the drive and resetting the
counter all the time, with the required reboot for the new region to take effect.