Velocity Reviews

-   -   How low can you go... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579473-how-low-can-you-go.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 08-25-2006 11:44 AM

How low can you go...

Look at the size of this PC
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low power:
consumes just 8W. And low-cost, too: USD120 in quantities of 1, lower for
more. Of course, it's only got a 166MHz processor and 128MiB of RAM. Also
no hard drive or optical drive (though you can connect one): persistent
storage is provided via a CF card. You couldn't run Windows on that, and
even heavyweight Gnome or KDE desktop environments would be a bit of a
stretch. But that still leaves a lot of choices for Linux GUI environments,
and it reportedly can boot Puppy Linux in just 32 seconds.

Dave 08-25-2006 02:50 PM

Re: How low can you go...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Look at the size of this PC
> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low
> power: consumes just 8W. And low-cost, too: USD120 in quantities of
> 1, lower for more. Of course, it's only got a 166MHz processor and
> 128MiB of RAM. Also no hard drive or optical drive (though you can
> connect one): persistent storage is provided via a CF card. You
> couldn't run Windows on that, and even heavyweight Gnome or KDE
> desktop environments would be a bit of a stretch. But that still
> leaves a lot of choices for Linux GUI environments, and it reportedly
> can boot Puppy Linux in just 32 seconds.

That's a nice bit of kit. I'm waiting for a smaller board from
http://www.acmesystems.it/ The Fox board http://www.acmesystems.it/?id=4
is based on the same cpu that Axis use for their own products.
Unfortunately the dev kits from Axis aren't that cheap but the Fox board
from Acme is 130 EuroBananas (260NZ$) excluding delivery.

If you want smaller then http://www.modtronix.com/index.php?cPath=105_112 is
worth a look. I received an SBC65EC from them the other week and it's an
impressive bit of kit. The pic chip is pre-blown with an ip stack and a
simple web server on top of it. A demo is available on http://202.63.42.64/
Ok you can't plug a kbd and monitor into it but ... Oh, did I mention they
are an aussie company? ;-)

Dave.

MaHogany 08-25-2006 10:02 PM

Re: How low can you go...

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:44:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Look at the size of this PC
> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low power:
> consumes just 8W. And low-cost, too: USD120 in quantities of 1, lower for
> more. Of course, it's only got a 166MHz processor and 128MiB of RAM. Also
> no hard drive or optical drive (though you can connect one): persistent
> storage is provided via a CF card. You couldn't run Windows on that, and
> even heavyweight Gnome or KDE desktop environments would be a bit of a
> stretch. But that still leaves a lot of choices for Linux GUI environments,
> and it reportedly can boot Puppy Linux in just 32 seconds.

Is that 8W for the entire PC? Or just 8W for only the CPU?

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 08-25-2006 10:09 PM

Re: How low can you go...

In message <pan.2006.08.25.22.02.14.415915@Ma.Hogany>, MaHogany wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:44:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Look at the size of this PC
>> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low
>> power: consumes just 8W.

> Is that 8W for the entire PC? Or just 8W for only the CPU?

According to the article, it's 8W for the entire PC, 2W for the CPU which
also integrates northbridge, southbridge, DRAM controller, VGA graphics,
sound, software modem and "CIR" (infrared?) controller--all in one chip.

Enkidu 08-26-2006 04:45 AM

Re: How low can you go...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Look at the size of this PC
> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low power:
> consumes just 8W. And low-cost, too: USD120 in quantities of 1, lower for
> more. Of course, it's only got a 166MHz processor and 128MiB of RAM. Also
> no hard drive or optical drive (though you can connect one): persistent
> storage is provided via a CF card. You couldn't run Windows on that, and
> even heavyweight Gnome or KDE desktop environments would be a bit of a
> stretch. But that still leaves a lot of choices for Linux GUI environments,
> and it reportedly can boot Puppy Linux in just 32 seconds.

We used printer network devices at one time that you could telnet into
and up comes the command line. It was some Unix variant, but since this
was ~ 10 years ago I can't remember which one. Those were as big as a
packet of cigarettes. That's quite big in comparison.

Cheers,

Cliff

-=rjh=- 08-26-2006 06:55 AM

Re: How low can you go...

Enkidu wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
>> Look at the size of this PC
>> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html>. Amazingly low
>> power:
>> consumes just 8W. And low-cost, too: USD120 in quantities of 1, lower for
>> more. Of course, it's only got a 166MHz processor and 128MiB of RAM. Also
>> no hard drive or optical drive (though you can connect one): persistent
>> storage is provided via a CF card. You couldn't run Windows on that, and
>> even heavyweight Gnome or KDE desktop environments would be a bit of a
>> stretch. But that still leaves a lot of choices for Linux GUI
>> environments,
>> and it reportedly can boot Puppy Linux in just 32 seconds.
> >

> We used printer network devices at one time that you could telnet into
> and up comes the command line. It was some Unix variant, but since this
> was ~ 10 years ago I can't remember which one. Those were as big as a
> packet of cigarettes. That's quite big in comparison.

Yes, but this thing is 115x115x35, which isn't much bigger than a pack
of cigarettes.

Consider the space just required to mount connectors for power, PS/2,
VGA, ethernet, USBx3,serialx2, audio in and out, a couple of switches
and a CF slot, and I really can't see these getting much smaller.

Be a good basis for a heap of products - network connected photoframe,
audio player...