Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xtra (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579441-xtra.html)

J.Wilson 08-20-2006 07:01 PM

Xtra

We have an adsl account with Xtra and a dialup account
with Paradise. We can access our Paradise mail through
Xtra but not the Paradise newsgroups. Paradise helpdesk
say Xtra is blocking access. Xtra helpdesk say it is not
possible to provide access to other Isps news servers
even though I can access Teranews and aioe.
Is this because they really can't do it because of
their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?

John

J.Wilson 08-20-2006 10:24 PM

Re: Xtra

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
news:MPG.1f54512bdd403d75989a89@news.individual.ne t...
> In article <44e96866@clear.net.nz>, jwilzon@paradise.net.kr says...
> > We have an adsl account with Xtra and a dialup account
> > with Paradise. We can access our Paradise mail through
> > Xtra but not the Paradise newsgroups. Paradise helpdesk
> > say Xtra is blocking access. Xtra helpdesk say it is not
> > possible to provide access to other Isps news servers
> > even though I can access Teranews and aioe.
> > Is this because they really can't do it because of
> > their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?
> >
> > John

> John, Xtra can do nothing about it because Paradise will have an access
> limitation on their newsserver that allows only people who are logged in
> through their system to access the nntp host. This is common practice, and
> there's nothing whatsoever that _Xtra_ can do about it, because it's

Paradise
> locking 'strangers' out. Fair enough too, because otherwise every Tom,

Dick
> and Harry from Nepal and Patagonia could use the Paradise news server.
>
> Your only option is to ask Paradise very nicely if they could set things

up so
> you can log in to nntp via a login and password from outside their

network.
> Somehow I doubt that they will want to go to the trouble, but you never

know.
> As I said, most news servers are set up so they don't need authentication

from
> 'local' users but reject everybody else -- this is the easiest way of

running
> it from admin and user ends, both.
>
> h.t.h. -Peter

Nice one. Thanks Peter.

Keith 08-21-2006 10:14 AM

Re: Xtra

In article <44e96866@clear.net.nz>, jwilzon@paradise.net.kr says...
> We have an adsl account with Xtra and a dialup account
> with Paradise. We can access our Paradise mail through
> Xtra but not the Paradise newsgroups. Paradise helpdesk
> say Xtra is blocking access. Xtra helpdesk say it is not
> possible to provide access to other Isps news servers
> even though I can access Teranews and aioe.

I can't see how Xtra could stop you. You have already shown that by
saying you can connect to other nttp servers. Let's face it, 99.9% of
help desk drones don't know what Usenet is. Especially Xtra who no
longer have an nttp server.

> Is this because they really can't do it because of
> their set up or are they intentionally blocking it?

I'd say Telstra are only allowing logins from there own accounts.

Peter Huebner 08-21-2006 10:25 AM

Re: Xtra