Velocity Reviews

-   -   wdanz.org.nz spam (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579362-wdanz-org-nz-spam.html)

Vista 08-07-2006 01:17 AM

wdanz.org.nz spam

Just received an unsolicated email from wdanz.org.nz. Anyone else get one
too

This is what I got emailed to me

Hi

By now I'm sure you will have heard about WDANZ and our launch on 4th July.
Please feel free to browse www.wdanz.org.nz for more information about us
and check out the latest developments.

I will be travelling throughout the country in early August to meet with new
members, and any Web Developers who may wish to meet me or ask any questions
of us in person.

My meeting & travelling schedule is:
a.. Napier/Hastings - Monday morning - 7th August - Alakebabs ,CBD 88
Dickens Street, Napier - 10am-12pm
b.. Palmerston North - Monday afternoon - 7th August - Pavilion Motel Cnr
Fitzherbert Avenue & Manawaroa Street - 3pm-5pm
c.. Wellington - Tuesday - 8th August - Sharella Motor Inn, 20 Glenmore
Street (Opposite Botanic Gardens) - 10am / 12pm / 2pm / 4pm (Four meetings)
d.. Dunedin - Wednesday - 9th August - Otago Chamber of Commerce, Burns
House ground floor, 10 George Street, Dunedin - 12pm-2pm
e.. Christchurch - Thursday - 10th August - Commerce Club Func Room, 277
Kilmore St - 10am / 12pm / 2pm / 4pm (Four meetings)
f.. Nelson - Friday - 11th August - Nelson Tasman Chamber of Commerce, 54
Montgomery Square, Bridge St. Entrance (Upstairs beside Emporium) - 2pm
g.. Auckland - Wednesday - 16th August - Grey Lynn Community Centre -
(Meeting times TBC)
Even if you are only semi-interested in WDANZ, I encourage you to take the
opportunity to come along, ask any questions you wish and hear of the many
developments and upcoming initiatives that WDANZ is already involved with.

Should you wish to meet with me, please let Brendan or me know and we will
try to arrange a meeting time and place. I look forward to meeting you.

Prior to the meeting it will help you enormously to read the Report to
Industry (http://www.wdanz.org.nz/WDANZ-Report...-6June2006.pdf)
which gives good background to the creation and purpose of WDANZ.

Once again, should we have your contact details incorrect, or if you do not
want to receive e-mail or hard copy communications from WDANZ, please advise
us. Thank you

Regards . . .

Dennis Smith, CEO

Web Developers Association of New Zealand

Ph +64 9 486-6410 ~ Fax +64 9 489-3077 ~ Mobile: 021 WEBSITES
P O Box 101-470 ~ North Shore 0745 ~ www.wdanz.org.nz

Craig Whitmore 08-07-2006 01:33 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

Can you please forward me the spam including full headers including
statement that this is spam and your've never had any previous deals etc etc
etc

Thanks
Craig

Vista 08-07-2006 03:44 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

"Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> Can you please forward me the spam including full headers including
> statement that this is spam and your've never had any previous deals etc
> etc etc
>
> Thanks
> Craig

Thanks, I have actually put a complaint directly to orcon, as that is the
isp it was sent through. I did also receive a mailed advert a month or so
ago, but I certainly haven't communicated with this company, and any
communication has been one way from this company.
I don't know where they have got my details from, however they probably
sourced it from the telephone book.

Craig Whitmore 08-07-2006 03:58 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

> Thanks, I have actually put a complaint directly to orcon, as that is the
> isp it was sent through. I did also receive a mailed advert a month or so
> ago, but I certainly haven't communicated with this company, and any
> communication has been one way from this company.
> I don't know where they have got my details from, however they probably
> sourced it from the telephone book.

Note: I am abuse@orcon.net.nz at Orcon and I've got your complaint..

Thanks

Craig Whitmore
Orcon Internet Ltd

Shane 08-07-2006 04:03 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

Vista wrote:

> Thanks, I have actually put a complaint directly to orcon, as that is the
> isp it was sent through. I did also receive a mailed advert a month or so
> ago, but I certainly haven't communicated with this company, and any
> communication has been one way from this company.
> I don't know where they have got my details from, however they probably
> sourced it from the telephone book.

A bit of background
http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25712D0009505F
An unsolicited bulk email campaign for broadband and telephone calling rates
may have flushed out a notorious US spammer from a low-profile existence in
Auckland.

Contacted by Computerworld, Brendan Battles of Auckland denies that he is
the same person as US spammer Brendan Battles. He also denies spamming in
New Zealand, even though Computerworld rang him on a number supplied in one
of the spam messages.

http://www.spamdailynews.com/publish...an_Battles.asp
Spammer Brendan Battles denies he is Spam King Brendan Battles
March 12, 2006

Brendan Battles of Auckland used Microsoft Word to create spam messages and
left both his name and that of his employer in the document properties
tags. Battles denies spamming in New Zealand, even though Computerworld
rang him on a number supplied in a spam message.

All the services in the spam are supplied through Auckland ISP Compass
Communications, where Battles currently works in the sales department.

The spam was hawking Wired Country Direct wireless broadband plans, as well
as Telecom UBS and TelstraClear DSL. Battles put his Whangapararoa and
Telecom mobile phone number on that message, as well as on another spam for
national and international call rates

http://www.webservertalk.com/archive...3-1417219.html
(Craig has a tassle with bbattles@xtra.co.nz)

And the connection....
http://www.wdanz.org.nz/media-release-2006-07-24.htm
DATE: 17 JULY 2006
RELEASE: PRESS EMBARGOED TO 24 JULY 2006
SUBJECT: Web Developers Association of New Zealand – Auckland Conference -
Keynote Speaker Brendan Battles

Keynote Speaker at the Inaugural WDANZ Conference - Brendan Battles on
International Marketing

The Web Developers Association of New Zealand (WDANZ) announces that it has
secured Mr Brendan Battles as one of the keynote speakers at the Inaugural
WDANZ Conference at Auckland in October 2006.

Mr Battles is now a New Zealand based Marketing Consultant, with a long
history (some may say rap-sheet) dating back to the earliest days of the
Internet. Originally based in the United States, Mr Battles has been
intimately involved with Internet marketing in many capacities, working for
large international corporate companies, and many other large businesses,
including several of his own.

CEO of WDANZ, Dennis Smith, says that Mr Battles has enormous experience in
a wide range of business marketing activities and will be a valuable
resource to WDANZ Members.

__EOP__

My $0.02 I think Dennis gave WDANZ the kiss of death by hiring Battles, even
if Battles refrained from his "marketing" technique, he is committing
political suicide

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

brazen 08-09-2006 11:42 PM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

"Shane" <shane@weasel.is-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> Vista wrote:
>

>> Thanks, I have actually put a complaint directly to orcon, as that is the
>> isp it was sent through. I did also receive a mailed advert a month or so
>> ago, but I certainly haven't communicated with this company, and any
>> communication has been one way from this company.
>> I don't know where they have got my details from, however they probably
>> sourced it from the telephone book.

> A bit of background
> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25712D0009505F
> An unsolicited bulk email campaign for broadband and telephone calling
> rates
> may have flushed out a notorious US spammer from a low-profile existence
> in
> Auckland.
>
> Contacted by Computerworld, Brendan Battles of Auckland denies that he is
> the same person as US spammer Brendan Battles. He also denies spamming in
> New Zealand, even though Computerworld rang him on a number supplied in
> one
> of the spam messages.

well I just spoke to him and he had a definite north american accent.

Gay

brazen 08-10-2006 12:35 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

"brazen" <gay@removethemtoobrazen.com.nz> wrote in message
> "Shane" <shane@weasel.is-a-geek.net> wrote in message
>> Vista wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks, I have actually put a complaint directly to orcon, as that is
>>> the
>>> isp it was sent through. I did also receive a mailed advert a month or
>>> so
>>> ago, but I certainly haven't communicated with this company, and any
>>> communication has been one way from this company.
>>> I don't know where they have got my details from, however they probably
>>> sourced it from the telephone book.

>> A bit of background
>> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25712D0009505F
>> An unsolicited bulk email campaign for broadband and telephone calling
>> rates
>> may have flushed out a notorious US spammer from a low-profile existence
>> in
>> Auckland.
>>
>> Contacted by Computerworld, Brendan Battles of Auckland denies that he is
>> the same person as US spammer Brendan Battles. He also denies spamming in
>> New Zealand, even though Computerworld rang him on a number supplied in
>> one
>> of the spam messages.

> well I just spoke to him and he had a definite north american accent.

blimey, seems he doesnt like me pointing that out and reads this ng - just
called me again and was rather aggressive after reading my post - "what are
your intentions??" and calling me names "drama queen".

If this is how the WDANZ does business, count me out.

Gay

bbattles@xtra.co.nz 08-10-2006 12:43 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

I really wish the drama would stop over the poorly written CW articles.
I ask all of you to have some patience during the next months. As I
will be putting up a web site, to give a realistic and real chain of
events vs. this silly drama the media has created. Many people here
have been very close minded and judgemental, but most have been more
independent, understanding, and open minded unlike others.

One of the issues a few people seem to have with me is in reference to
the "Denial statement" of who I said I was when the CW reporter
contacted me on the telephone months ago... I was rang by a person who
did not care to identify themselves, and asked in a very rude and
unprofessional way if I was the "Spam King". I of course replied no...
when I was asked if I was Brendan Battles, I of course said yes I am.
So this is one example on how twisted things can become and
ms-represented by the media.

So I ask once again, for a bit more open minded thinking and less
judgement from people based on ignorance of the facts vs. relying on
tabloid press articles. I am open to speak with anyone that would
extend the respect another person deserves. I am not "In hiding", I am
simply a living and breathing person like the rest of you...

Don Hills 08-10-2006 02:30 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

In article <1155170595.575971.141090@75g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
bbattles@xtra.co.nz wrote:
>So I ask once again, for a bit more open minded thinking and less
>judgement from people based on ignorance of the facts vs. relying on
>tabloid press articles. I am open to speak with anyone that would
>extend the respect another person deserves. I am not "In hiding", I am
>simply a living and breathing person like the rest of you...

You get the respect that you earn. You've chosen a disrespectful way to make
a living, and as a result are getting the (dis)respect that you've earned.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Vista 08-10-2006 02:55 AM

Re: wdanz.org.nz spam

<bbattles@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1155170595.575971.141090@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>I really wish the drama would stop over the poorly written CW articles.
> I ask all of you to have some patience during the next months. As I
> will be putting up a web site, to give a realistic and real chain of
> events vs. this silly drama the media has created. Many people here
> have been very close minded and judgemental, but most have been more
> independent, understanding, and open minded unlike others.
>
> One of the issues a few people seem to have with me is in reference to
> the "Denial statement" of who I said I was when the CW reporter
> contacted me on the telephone months ago... I was rang by a person who
> did not care to identify themselves, and asked in a very rude and
> unprofessional way if I was the "Spam King". I of course replied no...
> when I was asked if I was Brendan Battles, I of course said yes I am.
> So this is one example on how twisted things can become and
> ms-represented by the media.
>
> So I ask once again, for a bit more open minded thinking and less
> judgement from people based on ignorance of the facts vs. relying on
> tabloid press articles. I am open to speak with anyone that would
> extend the respect another person deserves. I am not "In hiding", I am
> simply a living and breathing person like the rest of you...

It doesn't answer the question as to why this company is sending unsolicated
emails.