Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579354-unisys-in-wellington-beware-unix-ppl.html)

thingy 08-05-2006 08:22 AM

Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
Hi All,

Seems the unix people are being outsourced to Bangadore...so if you get
an offer to go work there make sure it really is a permanent job and not
a few months work then find yourself getting made redundant....glad I
did some checking....Wellington is a small town....not sure just how
honest/legal offering a "perm" job knowing that it is being outsourced
is.........

regards

Thing

thingy 08-05-2006 09:01 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
MaHogany wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:22:40 +1200, thingy wrote:
>
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>> Seems the unix people are being outsourced to Bangadore...so if you get
>>an offer to go work there make sure it really is a permanent job and not
>>a few months work then find yourself getting made redundant....glad I
>>did some checking....Wellington is a small town....not sure just how
>>honest/legal offering a "perm" job knowing that it is being outsourced
>>is.........

>
>
> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
> NZ.
>
>
> Ma Hogany
>


Unisys is an outsourcer....I suppose because its US parent has been
loosing heaps of $....EDS was the same....So not only are the company
profits exported abroad to the US so not benefiting NZ, so are the
workers jobs exported abroad, so not benefiting NZ....

Triple whammy...no profits spent in NZ, no jobs in NZ (hello WINZ please
support my family), no tax on those no longer NZ jobs.......

regards

Thing





MaHogany 08-05-2006 09:02 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:22:40 +1200, thingy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Seems the unix people are being outsourced to Bangadore...so if you get
> an offer to go work there make sure it really is a permanent job and not
> a few months work then find yourself getting made redundant....glad I
> did some checking....Wellington is a small town....not sure just how
> honest/legal offering a "perm" job knowing that it is being outsourced
> is.........


Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
NZ.


Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...


Chris Lim 08-05-2006 11:31 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
MaHogany wrote:
> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
> NZ.


Cost?


thingy 08-05-2006 10:16 PM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
Chris Lim wrote:
> MaHogany wrote:
>
>>Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
>>overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
>>NZ.

>
>
> Cost?
>


Yep, it is interesting that such big outsourcers are supposed to be more
efficient because of scale...in reality they seem to be loosing money
hand over fist.....so have to cut costs drastically in order to make
ends meet, then of course the customer see's their service go west so
leaves.....

So instead of saying "this contract is making us money dont touch", or
even "spend a little more if we can grow its income even more", "we will
slash it to make a huge profit"....if the customer complains well tough....

Kinda nuts....

A very good reason why I will never work for an out sourcer again, no
quality, no integrity, and no care of the customer....

regards

Thing

Jo 08-05-2006 10:57 PM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 

"thingy" <thingy@nocommy.commy> wrote in message
>
> Unisys is an outsourcer....I suppose because its US parent has been
> loosing heaps of $....EDS was the same....So not only are the company
> profits exported abroad to the US so not benefiting NZ, so are the workers
> jobs exported abroad, so not benefiting NZ....
>
> Triple whammy...no profits spent in NZ, no jobs in NZ (hello WINZ please
> support my family), no tax on those no longer NZ jobs.......
>
> regards
>
> Thing
>

Since when does EDS outsource NZ contracts as a norm? Its a service provider
company, same with unysis. The type of contracts these two companies cover
are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.



MaHogany 08-06-2006 03:18 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:57:24 +1200, Jo wrote:

> The type of contracts these two companies cover
> are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.


Since when was "security" an adverb?


Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...


MaHogany 08-06-2006 03:21 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:31:53 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:

>> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
>> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
>> NZ.

>
> Cost?


If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
chance of competing with in order to get the work back.


Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...


Chris Lim 08-06-2006 03:35 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
MaHogany wrote:
> If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
> should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
> country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
> those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
> chance of competing with in order to get the work back.


I suppose if companies were worried about what was best for the country
rather than profit then yeah. But most companies will do what they can
to cut costs and increase profit, and unfortunately outsourcing work to
low-wage countries is a popular choice.


Mauricio Freitas [MVP] 08-06-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl
 
"MaHogany" <Ma@Hogany.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.08.06.03.21.54.325578@Ma.Hogany...
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:31:53 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
>
>>> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
>>> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here
>>> in
>>> NZ.

>>
>> Cost?

>
> If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
> should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
> country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
> those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
> chance of competing with in order to get the work back.
>
>


I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
reduce costs?

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices





All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.