Velocity Reviews

-   -   ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579127-altech-mediagate-mg-35-multimedia-3-5-ide-hard-disk-drive-enclosure.html)

Paul 07-05-2006 12:55 PM

ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure ?

Hi All

Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?

Cheers Paul

Andrew Lambert 07-05-2006 09:23 PM

Re: ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure?

Paul wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
>
> Cheers Paul

They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent have
the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite happy
with it

-=rjh=- 07-05-2006 11:51 PM

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
>>
>> Cheers Paul
>>

> They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
> output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent have
> the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite happy
> with it

Doesn't the Modix HD-3510
http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=336903

support 720p, for around the same price?

IMHO the biggest problem with these devices is that they are effectively
isolated - no LAN connectivity, no USB host capability. Means you
couldn't even use one as an image tank with your digital camera when
travelling.

Makes the MG-350HD infinitely more attractive with wifi, USB host, HD etc

-=rjh=- 07-07-2006 07:47 AM

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Andrew Lambert wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> Is anybody out there using one of these and if so are they any good?
>>>
>>> Cheers Paul
>>>

>> They look good and i want one..... However i want the one that can
>> output at HD (720p) which i dont see advertised here in NZ, Ascent
>> have the other ones though. I have a friend with one and he is quite
>> happy with it

> Doesn't the Modix HD-3510
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=336903
>
> support 720p, for around the same price?
>
> IMHO the biggest problem with these devices is that they are effectively
> isolated - no LAN connectivity,

Doh!

Correction - although the Ascent website

http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...ItemID=9339051

doesn't list it in the specs for the MG-35, it does have ethernet, and
even better - it seems you don't even need to install a hard drive into
it; ie, you can use it as a media player and access your data stored
elsewhere on the network. It seems you can even upgrade the firmware to
use it as a NAS device.

http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec

=======================

More info on the MG-350HD (with HD, wifi and USB host capability) - it
isn't available until August, from

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article....ID=&CIID=36918 a post from the
ditributor to Australia and NZ:

"I work for Anyware Computer Accessories, the distributor of the
Mediagate MG35, MG25 and the new MG350HD in Australia and NZ. I can see
that some of you are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the wireless
Mediagate. I would like to confirm with you all that we are expecting
stock of the new wireless Mediagate to arrive in Australia in early
August. The product will be available for purchase from our resellers
around Australia and NZ. If you're unsure about your local Anyware
reseller you can always call us (1300 ANYWARE: 1300 269 927) or visit
our website for further information: www.anyware.com.au.

As a special promo for you forum readers we'd like to offer you two
special gifts if you purchase either the MG35 or the new MG350HD. All
you need to do is send your proof of purchase along with your name,
address and phone number to:

Atomic Forum Mediagate Promo
PO Box 9241
Scoresby, VIC 3179

and we'll send you a FREE AL Tech wireless optical mouse and a USB
massage ball to say "thank you".

Cheers! Jo @ Anyware Melbourne."

(Similar message posted to AVSForum.com):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post7937172

which also has a heap of other information.

Speculation is that the MG-350HD may be quite expensive compared to the
MG-35

braband@gmail.com 07-07-2006 01:28 PM

Re: ALTech MediaGate MG-35 Multimedia 3.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive Enclosure ?

Does anyone have any information on if and when the MediaGate MG-350HD
will be available in the United States? It's as if the only non-Korean
information on the unit availability is coming from Australia and New
Zealand.

Cheers,

Michael