Velocity Reviews

-   -   FTA Digital TV (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t579017-fta-digital-tv.html)

Sticky 06-18-2006 07:21 AM

FTA Digital TV

At the moment I have 3 VCR's in different rooms and a PC TV card
connected to a single outside analogue aerial (actually 2 dipole aerials
(1 X LF, 1 X UHF). I can watch or record a different channel on each
device all at the same time. The reception is great on 1,2,3,4 & prime.

Do I need 4 set top boxes at $200 a piece for FTA digital?

Can FTA digital be recorded on a VCR? Is it "Macrovisioned"?

Why do I want digital so I can watch only 1 at a time of 52 channels?

(None of the local FAQ's I've checked have this kind of simple stuff)

--
Sticky

Craig Whitmore 06-18-2006 09:04 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

"Sticky" <Sticky@midnight.com> wrote in message
> At the moment I have 3 VCR's in different rooms and a PC TV card connected
> to a single outside analogue aerial (actually 2 dipole aerials (1 X LF, 1
> X UHF). I can watch or record a different channel on each device all at
> the same time. The reception is great on 1,2,3,4 & prime.
>
> Do I need 4 set top boxes at $200 a piece for FTA digital?

the FTA as far as I know will be a DVB-T Signal. There are many STB and
Computer Cards/USB devices out there which will allow you to view it. As the
service has not started, I guess this is the reason why no one has yet
written anything up for it :-)

The FTA will be (as far as I can tell from the media stuff similar to
http://www.freeview.co.uk/faq/)

Thanks
Craig

Zonky 06-18-2006 09:18 PM

Re: FTA Digital TV

"Craig Whitmore" <lennon@orcon.net.nz> wrote in news:449518e8$1
@news.orcon.net.nz:

> The FTA will be (as far as I can tell from the media stuff similar to
> http://www.freeview.co.uk/faq/)

Hopefully it won't be anything like UK's Digital Terrestial, and will
commit to using 16QAM rather than 64QAM.

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

Steven Ellis 06-19-2006 01:16 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

Zonky wrote:
> Hopefully it won't be anything like UK's Digital Terrestial, and will
> commit to using 16QAM rather than 64QAM.

So whats the big difference between the QAM variants?

FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
setup

DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC _3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INT ERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1

Steve

Craig Whitmore 06-19-2006 01:43 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

> FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
> setup
>
> DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC _3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INT ERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1
>
> Steve

So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

Thanks
Craig

Dave 06-19-2006 06:07 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

Transmission - In the UK a single transmission protocol was used, 64QAM. A
16QAM mux can cope better with reception problems so in effect has a greater
coverage area but has a smaller channel capactity. 16QAM muxes can carry 4
TV channels and a few radio channels, 64QAM can carry 6 or 7 channels as
well as radio. ITV Digital used 64QAM across all muxes but the reception
problems, particularly on the weaker muxes C and D, meant that Freeview
decided to use 16QAM on all muxes operated by the Freeview consortium (1, B,
C and D).

news:1150679813.863638.169350@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...

Steven Ellis 06-20-2006 01:02 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> > FYI the current DVB-T test tranmissions for TVOne show the following
> > setup
> >
> > DTT-TVOne:698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC _3_4:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INT ERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:516:517:1
> >
> > Steve

> So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

YES if

1. If you get your signal from Waitairua

2. If your signal is strong enough

There is no EPG data at the moment, and the weather last night really
affected the signal so I don't know how strong the power for their
multiplex is at present.

Have a go and let me know how you get on.

Steve

Steven Ellis 06-20-2006 01:17 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

Dave wrote:
> Transmission - In the UK a single transmission protocol was used, 64QAM. A
> 16QAM mux can cope better with reception problems so in effect has a greater
> coverage area but has a smaller channel capactity. 16QAM muxes can carry 4
> TV channels and a few radio channels, 64QAM can carry 6 or 7 channels as
> well as radio. ITV Digital used 64QAM across all muxes but the reception
> problems, particularly on the weaker muxes C and D, meant that Freeview
> decided to use 16QAM on all muxes operated by the Freeview consortium (1, B,
> C and D).

Ok you are confusing matters here by first saying they only use 64QAM
in the uk, and then stating Freeview uses 16QAM

Based on Winterhill in the NW of England there are 45 entries for 16QAM
and 40 entries for 64QAM, so a reasonable mix.

At the moment on Waiatarua transmitter has a single 64QAM multiplex but
it only advertises 5 channels.

tune to:
698000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:F EC_AUTO:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL _1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE
0x0000 0x0001: pmt_pid 0x0200 TVNZ -- DTT-TVOne (running)
0x0000 0x0002: pmt_pid 0x0210 TVNZ -- DTT-TV2 (running)
0x0000 0x0003: pmt_pid 0x0300 TVNZ -- DTT-FV2 DW (running)
0x0000 0x0004: pmt_pid 0x0310 TVNZ -- DTT-FV3 CCTV (running)
0x0000 0x0005: pmt_pid 0x0400 TVNZ -- DTT-TEST-CH (running)
Network Name 'BCL_DVB-T'

Based on the estimates of 6 channels per multiplex they look to be
using 64QAM, unless they do time splits like the way CBBC and BBC3
share a slot in the UK with a switch over around 7pm.

Steve

Peter Nield 06-20-2006 11:06 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

"Steven Ellis" <steven.ellis@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1150765366.301036.13620@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...

> > So if I have a DVB-T receiver I can tune into it right now?

> YES if
>
> 1. If you get your signal from Waitairua
>
> 2. If your signal is strong enough

Oh please, please please - where can one get a DVB-T receiver in NZ? or do
you "order in"?

shannon 06-20-2006 11:14 AM

Re: FTA Digital TV

http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=346221