Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tipping Point Ahead (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578924-tipping-point-ahead.html)

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 06-03-2006 11:50 AM

Tipping Point Ahead

http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV

"" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
of expected Windows developers. ... the trend is showing a strong growth
of Linux developers, and sometime in the near future, their numbers will
pass those of Windows. When that happens, a lot more applications and
solutions are going to find their way to Linux.

"Watching the developers is like watching the future," Handy told me. If
so, then the future's looking mighty good for Linux. ""

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Fred Dagg 06-03-2006 01:30 PM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
exclaimed:

>http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV
>
>"" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
>number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
>of expected Windows developers. ... the trend is showing a strong growth
>of Linux developers, and sometime in the near future, their numbers will
>pass those of Windows. When that happens, a lot more applications and
>solutions are going to find their way to Linux.
>
>"Watching the developers is like watching the future," Handy told me. If
>so, then the future's looking mighty good for Linux. ""

LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

thingy 06-03-2006 11:27 PM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
> exclaimed:
>

>>http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV
>>
>>"" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
>>number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
>>of expected Windows developers. ... the trend is showing a strong growth
>>of Linux developers, and sometime in the near future, their numbers will
>>pass those of Windows. When that happens, a lot more applications and
>>solutions are going to find their way to Linux.
>>
>>"Watching the developers is like watching the future," Handy told me. If
>>so, then the future's looking mighty good for Linux. ""
>>

> LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

You are a fool, and as the saying goes never agure with one, people may
not know the difference.

regards

thing

Fred Dagg 06-04-2006 12:11 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:27:20 +1200, thingy <thingy@nocommy.commy>
exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
>> exclaimed:
>>

>>>http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV
>>>
>>>"" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
>>>number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
>>>of expected Windows developers. ... the trend is showing a strong growth
>>>of Linux developers, and sometime in the near future, their numbers will
>>>pass those of Windows. When that happens, a lot more applications and
>>>solutions are going to find their way to Linux.
>>>
>>>"Watching the developers is like watching the future," Handy told me. If
>>>so, then the future's looking mighty good for Linux. ""
>>>

>> LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

>You are a fool, and as the saying goes never agure with one, people may
>not know the difference.

Oh come on, thingy. Do you honestly believe that there will be the
same number of Linux developers as Windows developers by the end of
the year? That's just crazy talk.

Sure, Linux has it's uses (contrary to what you might believe, I use
it reasonably extensively - right tool for the job and all that).
Sure, Linux use is slowly growing. But to say that Linux developers
will overtake Windows developers this year?

That's dreamland stuff - totally laughable.

ChrisB 06-04-2006 12:25 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
> exclaimed:
>
>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV
>>
>> "" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
>> number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
>> of expected Windows developers. ... the trend is showing a strong growth
>> of Linux developers, and sometime in the near future, their numbers will
>> pass those of Windows. When that happens, a lot more applications and
>> solutions are going to find their way to Linux.
>>
>> "Watching the developers is like watching the future," Handy told me. If
>> so, then the future's looking mighty good for Linux. ""
>>

> LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

Disclaimer: Fred Dagg has shares in microsoft

Or even funnier - has been sucked in to the MCSE et al scam! hahahaha

Allistar 06-04-2006 04:51 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:27:20 +1200, thingy <thingy@nocommy.commy>
> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
>>> exclaimed:

>>> LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

>>You are a fool, and as the saying goes never agure with one, people may
>>not know the difference.

> Oh come on, thingy. Do you honestly believe that there will be the
> same number of Linux developers as Windows developers by the end of
> the year? That's just crazy talk.
>
> Sure, Linux has it's uses (contrary to what you might believe, I use
> it reasonably extensively - right tool for the job and all that).
> Sure, Linux use is slowly growing. But to say that Linux developers
> will overtake Windows developers this year?
>
> That's dreamland stuff - totally laughable.

It depends who you're counting. The majority of Windows developers (i.e.
those developing the Windows operating systems) would be in Redmond,
surely. Those contributing to the Linux kernel are all over the place. I
suppose it depends on what you classify as "Linux". Just the kernel, or
user space applications too?

Allistar.

thingy 06-04-2006 10:11 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:27:20 +1200, thingy <thingy@nocommy.commy>
> exclaimed:
>

>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
>>>exclaimed:

>>>LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

>>You are a fool, and as the saying goes never agure with one, people may
>>not know the difference.

> Oh come on, thingy. Do you honestly believe that there will be the
> same number of Linux developers as Windows developers by the end of
> the year? That's just crazy talk.
>
> Sure, Linux has it's uses (contrary to what you might believe, I use
> it reasonably extensively - right tool for the job and all that).
> Sure, Linux use is slowly growing. But to say that Linux developers
> will overtake Windows developers this year?
>
> That's dreamland stuff - totally laughable.

Spring 2006 North American Developer's Survey from Evans Data

"You read that right. The expected development targets for
developers--from an independent survey--will be 50% for Linux and 50% of
Windows by the end of 2006."

8><----

"Handy believes that by this time next year, we will be seeing more
Linux developers than Windows developers."

8><------

"And if you think that doesn't scare the willies out of Bill Gates and
Steve Ballmer, think again. Handy related to me that in the 2001 edition
of the same survey, Linux developers surpassed the number of Solaris
developers. About five months later, in Feb. 2002, we saw Sun
Microsystems' then-CEO Scott McNealy waddled out to an audience at a Sun
conference in a penguin suit. "

You can carry on with your head stuck in the sand, or you can understand
the paradigm shift happening and come up wiht a strategy to cope, it is
your choice.

regards

Thing

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 06-04-2006 11:10 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:11:56 +1200, thingy wrote:

> You can carry on with your head stuck in the sand, or you can understand
> the paradigm shift happening and come up wiht a strategy to cope, it is
> your choice.

I reckon this is why Bill Gates has been gradually selling his stock in
Micro$oft; and also why Micro$oft is now supporting Linux in it's
Virtualisation package (sorry - can't recall what it's called); and is
also why Micro$oft is trying oh so hard to make Vi$ta the best it can be -
even tho' it's going to have seriously unpopular DRM shite built into it!

The person is insane who chooses to actually pay money for any so-called
"new" software from Micro$oft.
Micro$oft Office has been around since January 1989 - that's Seventeen
years - and the individual programs that constitute M$ office were already
reasonably mature even then.

There is no way that a seventeen year old office suite can be described as
"a new solution"!

I also think that after seventeen years M$ should have sorted out all the
security flaws by now
..

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Jedmeister 06-05-2006 08:47 PM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006060202826OPMRDV
>
> "" According to survey, by the end of the year, it is expected that the
> number of developers expected to be working on Linux will match the number
> of expected Windows developers. ...

Too many cooks will spoil the broth.

These linux developers will all want to do their own thing. Who takes
executive control of linux ? Isn't having multiple versions of the
core OS code a bad thing?

Change control is surely linuxes biggest issue?

Chris Wilkinson 06-06-2006 12:05 AM

Re: Tipping Point Ahead

Hi there,

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:27:20 +1200, thingy <thingy@nocommy.commy>
> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:50:56 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <c@t.com>
>>>exclaimed:

>>>LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

>>You are a fool, and as the saying goes never agure with one, people may
>>not know the difference.

> Oh come on, thingy. Do you honestly believe that there will be the
> same number of Linux developers as Windows developers by the end of
> the year? That's just crazy talk.
>
> Sure, Linux has it's uses (contrary to what you might believe, I use
> it reasonably extensively - right tool for the job and all that).
> Sure, Linux use is slowly growing. But to say that Linux developers
> will overtake Windows developers this year?
>
> That's dreamland stuff - totally laughable.

You're often quick to take a dig at Linux and OSS, claiming its
only good for commies, yet here you 'fess up to using it, using
the term 'reasonably extensively'...

Could you be more of a hypocrit?

--
Kind regards,