Velocity Reviews

-   -   DSE ADSL Modem/router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578731-dse-adsl-modem-router.html)

KiwiBrian 05-09-2006 05:49 PM

DSE ADSL Modem/router

I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
modem.
I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
problem?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Malcolm 05-09-2006 06:08 PM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

KiwiBrian wrote:

> I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
> ADSL modem.
> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
> instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
> PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
> net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
> accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves the
> problem. What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain
> and fix the problem?
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

Hi
If you open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all from both
pc's what is the output?

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

KiwiBrian 05-09-2006 11:49 PM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

"Malcolm" wrote
> KiwiBrian wrote:
>
>> I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
>> ADSL modem.
>> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
>> instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
>> PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
>> net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
>> accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves the
>> problem. What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain
>> and fix the problem?

> If you open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all from both
> pc's what is the output?

Aha, someone who knows what he is doing!!
I did the test on each with both connected to the router.
Results that I think may be pertinent:-

BlackPC:-
Node Type: Unknown
Dhcp enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
IP address: 192.168.1.13

WhitePC:-
Node Type: Mixed
Dhcp enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
IP address: 192.168.1.5

Everything else identical between both results.
Advise if you need more info.
I could accept that the router may not be setup correctly, as the
instructions were totally contradictory etc.
Thanks for your help, don't desert me now........... :-))
Brian

XPD 05-09-2006 11:56 PM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
>modem.
> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
> However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
> Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
> both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
> Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
> What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
> problem?

Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
anyway....

Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your network ?
:)
Also try this....
plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
speed)
Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
somehting on it causing the issue...

Malcolm 05-10-2006 01:22 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

XPD wrote:

> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB
>>ADSL modem.
>> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied
>> instructions. However I doubt if the configuration of either/both
>> PCs is/are correct. Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the
>> net OK, but when they are both plugged into the router/modem,
>> accessing web-sites is VERY slow. Unplugging the other PC solves
>> the problem. What configuration setting should I look for to
>> ascertain and fix the problem?

> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
> anyway....
>
> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the
> bandwidth.... any P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza,
> DC++, Limewire etc) Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no
> nasties abusing your network ?
> :)
> Also try this....
> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ?
> (network/internet speed)
> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine
> has somehting on it causing the issue...

Hi
You may want to do the same test with the ethernet cables as
well.. :-)

If you also right-click on the network icon in the taskbar and select
status, it will show the activity sent/received. Is it higher on
either pc's without any user activity? If you don't have the icon in
the taskbar, it can also be found via start -> network connections
and right-click.

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

Allan 05-10-2006 03:05 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

"XPD" <spamspam@xpd.xpd.co....nz> wrote in message

> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
>>modem.
>> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
>> However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
>> Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
>> both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
>> Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
>> What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
>> problem?

> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
> anyway....
>
> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
> P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
> Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your network
> ? :)
> Also try this....
> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
> speed)
> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
> somehting on it causing the issue...

I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
downloads on other PC.

What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

cyril 05-10-2006 04:17 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

I also am running a XH1169 with 4pc'sm, grandstream VOIP phone, and
several Xport terminal servers and have not noticed any problems. That
said I have no P2P apps in service.

I did notice a improvement in performance when upgrading to the lattest
firmware along with a reasonable firewall that the original firmware
lacked.

Current Firmware: cx82xxx_4.10.21
Current Cust Softwre:210205_Rel10_v2

Hope this helps

Cyril

KiwiBrian 05-10-2006 08:53 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

"Allan" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:e3rl37$jrq$1@emma.aioe.org...
> "XPD" <spamspam@xpd.xpd.co....nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>I recently installed one of these in place of my IHUG supplied USB ADSL
>>>modem.
>>> I have managed to get it going in spite of the supplied instructions.
>>> However I doubt if the configuration of either/both PCs is/are correct.
>>> Both are running XP SP2 and can connect to the net OK, but when they are
>>> both plugged into the router/modem, accessing web-sites is VERY slow.
>>> Unplugging the other PC solves the problem.
>>> What configuration setting should I look for to ascertain and fix the
>>> problem?

>> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
>> anyway....
>>
>> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth.... any
>> P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire etc)
>> Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your
>> network ? :)
>> Also try this....
>> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ? (network/internet
>> speed)
>> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
>> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
>> somehting on it causing the issue...
>>

> I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
> although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
> downloads on other PC.
>
> What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

It is a DSE XH1169.
I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
Most confusing.
I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the second
it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?
Thanks
Brian

Allan 05-10-2006 10:31 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

> "Allan" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> "XPD" <spamspam@xpd.xpd.co....nz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hate to say it, but the DSE routers arent the best in the world.....
>>> anyway....
>>>
>>> Sounds like one of your PC's is potentially hogging the bandwidth....
>>> any P2P applicaitons installed on either PC ? (Kazza, DC++, Limewire
>>> etc)
>>> Recent virus/spyware scan to ensure theres no nasties abusing your
>>> network ? :)
>>> Also try this....
>>> plug PC1 into router on its own. Is it all running ok ?
>>> (network/internet speed)
>>> Now plug PC2 in - slow ?
>>> Then unplug PC1 - PC2 still slow ? If yes, then bingo...that machine has
>>> somehting on it causing the issue...
>>>

>> I'm running a DSE XH1169 which goes ok with three PC's hanging off of it,
>> although there are some noticeable slow-downs when son is doing P2P
>> downloads on other PC.
>>
>> What DSE model & what revision of firmware are you using?

> It is a DSE XH1169.
> I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
> Most confusing.
> I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the
> second it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
> Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
> How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?
> Thanks
> Brian

You can web browse to the router config pages. I can't remember what it's
default address is tho. On your PC, can you go to the Command Prompt and
type ipconfig/all and post back the results. This should tell us what the
default gateway address is.

Richard 05-10-2006 11:07 AM

Re: DSE ADSL Modem/router

KiwiBrian wrote:

> It is a DSE XH1169.
> I did not use the CD when setting it up as the video didn't say to use it.
> Most confusing.
> I followed the video to set up the first PC and when I plugged in the second
> it immediately worked online without me doing anything.
> Does it sound as tho I may have missed an important step?
> How do I find out what firmware revision I am using?

Check the 2 machines have different IP addresses, but usually windows will tell
you about conflicts.