Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptops Toshiba vs Acer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578682-laptops-toshiba-vs-acer.html)

Ian Jenkins 05-04-2006 11:29 PM

Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
brand has better reliability and after sales service.

thank you

EMB 05-04-2006 11:56 PM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

Ian Jenkins wrote:
> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
> brand has better reliability and after sales service.

Most of the Toshiba laptops I look after have been very reliable, and
those that have developed hardware issues have been repaired under
warranty in a timely and efficient manner.

My experience with Acer laptops is fairly limited but 2 I have set up
recently have been somewhat disappointing from a performance point of view.

My preference is for IBM/Lenovo laptops - they may not be leading edge
from a features perspective but they are as reliable and indestructible
as a laptop can be. Their repair service is excellent - about 2 years
ago I had to return 3 laptops for repair under an IBM recall and the job
was completed the same day.

--
EMB

Vista 05-05-2006 04:19 AM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

"Ian Jenkins" <taijen@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
> brand has better reliability and after sales service.
>
> thank you

Tosh have the reputation, but do tend to cost more. I have an 2yr old acer ,
and it has a terrible screen quality when compared to my dell 8600.

Ray Greene 05-05-2006 04:29 AM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:29:55 +1200, Ian Jenkins <taijen@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

Where I work we have been buying Toshibas for years, but lately we have found
the quality to be dropping and have needed some repairs done under warranty.
Not that many, but in the past they were bullet-proof.

They are more expensive but it used to be worth it for the reliability, but
if they're no more reliable then there's no point paying extra.

We have tried Acer and in our limited sample they are as reliable as Toshiba
and they have a faster turn-around for repairs. They were cheaper too, so
they look to be better value.

--
Ray Greene

Ian Jenkins 05-05-2006 05:27 AM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

EMB wrote:
> Ian Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>> brand has better reliability and after sales service.

> Most of the Toshiba laptops I look after have been very reliable, and
> those that have developed hardware issues have been repaired under
> warranty in a timely and efficient manner.
>
> My experience with Acer laptops is fairly limited but 2 I have set up
> recently have been somewhat disappointing from a performance point of view.
>
> My preference is for IBM/Lenovo laptops - they may not be leading edge
> from a features perspective but they are as reliable and indestructible
> as a laptop can be. Their repair service is excellent - about 2 years
> ago I had to return 3 laptops for repair under an IBM recall and the job
> was completed the same day.

Thank you, every little helps.

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh 05-05-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

In message <445a8e36$1@clear.net.nz>, Ian Jenkins
<taijen@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
would have to concur.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

Steve 05-05-2006 09:40 PM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:39:25 +1200, R.G.'Stumpy' wrote:

> In message <445a8e36$1@clear.net.nz>, Ian Jenkins
> <taijen@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
>>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

> FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
> brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
> more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
> bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
> would have to concur.

Apart from that, the other thing that keeps me using my Tosh is the
quality and ease of use of the keyboard. It's a 2002 model, but that means
I've got a 2GHz cpu, and very warm legs, of course!

However, it you want to run linux on it (as I do), then expect to lose
things like firewire, sd slot...

I have both - my work one's an Acer, and I much prefer the tosh even with
it's shortcomings.

Steve

Steve

Ian Jenkins 05-05-2006 10:50 PM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:39:25 +1200, R.G.'Stumpy' wrote:
>

>>In message <445a8e36$1@clear.net.nz>, Ian Jenkins
>><taijen@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>>>brand has better reliability and after sales service.

>>FWIW Consumer found that Acer and Toshiba were the two most reliable
>>brands, within the margin of error of each other, but users were much
>>more likely to want to buy another Toshiba than another Acer. Having
>>bought an Acer partly on the basis of the reliability statistic, I
>>would have to concur.

> Apart from that, the other thing that keeps me using my Tosh is the
> quality and ease of use of the keyboard. It's a 2002 model, but that means
> I've got a 2GHz cpu, and very warm legs, of course!
>
> However, it you want to run linux on it (as I do), then expect to lose
> things like firewire, sd slot...
>
> I have both - my work one's an Acer, and I much prefer the tosh even with
> it's shortcomings.
>
> Steve
>
> Steve

Steve

Thank you, looks like Toshiba is coming out on top. Wonder what model
you have.

Ian

brazen 05-05-2006 11:32 PM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
> brand has better reliability and after sales service.

sony is prettier ;)

Gay

~misfit~ 05-08-2006 05:50 AM

Re: Laptops Toshiba vs Acer

brazen wrote:
> "Ian Jenkins" <taijen@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Anyone give me an opinion. I am looking at buying a new laptop. Which
>> brand has better reliability and after sales service.
>>

> sony is prettier ;)

If they're anything like their recent consumer goods I'd only take one if
you gave it to me free. Pretty alright, pretty unreliable and pretty
useless.
--
Shaun.