Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xtra's News Server is history ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578663-xtras-news-server-is-history.html)

Robert Feigel 05-03-2006 06:23 AM

Xtra's News Server is history ...

That's it. Xtra's news service is gone and hopefully both Xtra and
Telecom will someday pay a steep price for their arrogance and lack of
integrity.

May they both rot in pieces ...

Robert Feigel 05-03-2006 07:34 AM

Re: Xtra's News Server is history ...

On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:23:14 +1200, Robert Feigel
<akabob@surfwriter.net.not> magnanimously proffered:

>That's it. Xtra's news service is gone and hopefully both Xtra and
>Telecom will someday pay a steep price for their arrogance and lack of
>integrity.
>
>May they both rot in pieces ...

However, that didn't stop the patronising tossers from posting one
last message on xtra.general, xtra.questions & xtra.adsl:

For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.

However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
and there are now only a few hundred regular users.

Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May
3, we will no longer provide the newsgroup service.

If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services
available such as giganews.com, or free services such as Google
Groups.

We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be
affected by this change.

Kind regards

The Team @ Xtra

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 05-03-2006 08:29 AM

On Wed, 03 May 2006 19:34:21 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:

> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services
> available such as giganews.com, or free services such as Google
> Groups.

But why would anybody want to do that when they could simply move to
another ISP that actually HAS an NNTP server, and save money by doing so?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea