Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS Excel - Paste - values shortcut? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578531-ms-excel-paste-values-shortcut.html)

news.xtra.co.nz 04-25-2006 02:45 AM

MS Excel - Paste - values shortcut?

I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
formatting etc...

To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.

Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?

Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
anyway. Just my opinion.

news.xtra.co.nz 04-25-2006 02:55 AM

Re: MS Excel - Paste - values shortcut?

"news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
>formatting etc...
>
> To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.
>
> Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?
>
> Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
> anyway. Just my opinion.

It's ok , i googled the answer.

remarkeable that ms make this so hard .

http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ly_Values.html

Magic Marker 04-25-2006 09:07 AM

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>>I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
>>formatting etc...
>>
>> To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.
>>
>> Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?
>>
>> Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
>> anyway. Just my opinion.

> It's ok , i googled the answer.
>
> remarkeable that ms make this so hard .
>
> http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ly_Values.html

What's hard about recording a few keystrokes as a macro and and assigning
them to a hot key ? Personally I find that VBA makes a lot of things easier.

Matty F 04-25-2006 09:12 AM

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>
>>I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
>>formatting etc...
>>
>>To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.
>>
>>Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?
>>
>>Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
>>anyway. Just my opinion.

> It's ok , i googled the answer.
>
> remarkeable that ms make this so hard .
>
> http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ly_Values.html

Yes, the MS default is stupid. I'd like mine to default to text only.
My firewall once showed that a paste operation from certain pages
into Excel or Word causes an access to the site that the page
came from. Too bad if I was not online any more, I just had to
wait until it timed out.

news.xtra.co.nz 04-25-2006 09:15 AM

"Magic Marker" <colors@klfjlsdhgkghkfadlksajdlakjd.ru> wrote in message
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>>
>> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>>>I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
>>>formatting etc...
>>>
>>> To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.
>>>
>>> Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?
>>>
>>> Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
>>> anyway. Just my opinion.

>> It's ok , i googled the answer.
>>
>> remarkeable that ms make this so hard .
>>
>> http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ly_Values.html
>>

> What's hard about recording a few keystrokes as a macro and and assigning
> them to a hot key ? Personally I find that VBA makes a lot of things
> easier.

recording macro? are you crazy? Thats for techos.

-=rjh=- 04-25-2006 09:21 AM

Magic Marker wrote:
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>> "news.xtra.co.nz" <jed@gospammonster.away> wrote in message
>>> I often want to paste data into an excel spreadsheet without pasting the
>>> formatting etc...
>>>
>>> To do this, I go menu - edit-paste special - paste values - OK.
>>>
>>> Is this a keyboard shortcut that will do this?
>>>
>>> Actually, I think the default setting for past should be paste-values
>>> anyway. Just my opinion.

>> It's ok , i googled the answer.
>>
>> remarkeable that ms make this so hard .
>>
>> http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ly_Values.html
>>

> What's hard about recording a few keystrokes as a macro and and assigning
> them to a hot key ? Personally I find that VBA makes a lot of things easier.

What's hard about designing the application so it is easy to use? We've
got heaps of processing power, huge displays, and PCs continue to
confuse people and they are not getting any easier to use.

While a geek might want to play around like that, most people who use
their software for work just want to get the job done; they are too busy
and focused on the job at hand to be bothered with setting up macros (if
they even know how) and remembering what the hotkey was.

impossible 04-26-2006 09:01 PM

"-=rjh=-" <usually@mail.com> wrote in message
> Magic Marker wrote:
>>
>> What's hard about recording a few keystrokes as a macro and and
>> assigning them to a hot key ? Personally I find that VBA makes a
>> lot of things easier.
>>

> What's hard about designing the application so it is easy to use?
> We've got heaps of processing power, huge displays, and PCs continue
> to confuse people and they are not getting any easier to use.

Take a poll of 1000 people, and see if you can tell if there's an
obvious paste default that will please everyone. Point is, Excel is
infinitely customizable so that you're never stuck with what you think
might be someone else's bad choice.

> While a geek might want to play around like that, most people who
> use their software for work just want to get the job done; they are
> too busy and focused on the job at hand to be bothered with setting
> up macros (if they even know how) and remembering what the hotkey
> was.

You exaggerate the geekiness involved. Would a toolbar button do the
trick for you ? Just right-click on the standard toolbar , then go
Customize | Commands | Edit and drag "paste values" to wherever you
want.

If you prefer a keystroke option, then recording a macro would really
be the most elegant way to go. I realize you're a busy chap, but in a
little more time than it ordinarily takes you to dash off a message
like this, you could get the job done. Here are the steps, just in
case you want to give it a try:

1. You need to first create a new blank workbook dedicated exclusively
to storing macros that you can load automatically on startup from
your Program Files\XLStart folder. People often call this
"personal.xls", but you can name it whatever you want. Once you've
saved that, go Window | Hide and it'll disappear.

2. Open any other spreadsheet you have, copy some cell with
formatting, select the cell you want to paste it to, then go Tools |
Macro | Record macro -- a small toolbar will pop up, you're recording
now -- so then just do what you normally do to paste values: Edit |
Paste Special | Values, and then click the "stop recording" button on
that little toolbar.

3. Hit Alt-F11 to bring up the VBA window. In the "project" window on
the left, find the workbook you've been using and click the Modules
button until you see "Module1" -- that's where you're recorded macro
was stored. It should look like this:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded 4/26/2006 by you

SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False

End Sub

Change the name from "Macro1" to something more meaningful like
"PasteValues". Then copy all of that text.

4. At this point, your macro is available to use in the spreadsheet
you're currently working with, but what you really want is to make it
available "globally", no matter what spreadsheet you have open. That's
what the "personal.xls" workbook is for, so locate that in the VBA
projects window, right-click and then Insert | Module -- a new blank
VBA module window will open. Paste the text from the macro you
recorded here. Click "save" on the main toolbar, then close the VBA
window.

5. From the Excel application window, go Tools | Macro | Macros and
locate the macro you just created -- if your startup workbook is
called "personal.xls" the macro would be called
"Personal.xls!PasteValues". Click Options, and then enter the
keystroke you want to use to activate the macro.

That's it. And now that you know how the process works, you can
automate almost anything you want. Word works much the same way,
except that standard commands like cut and paste (and 1000 others) can
be accessed directly from the Customize menu and assigned whatever
keystroke you want. If there's one thing about Excel that I'd want
changed, it would that -- definitely less geeeky :)

-=rjh=- 04-27-2006 12:48 AM

impossible wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <usually@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Magic Marker wrote:
>>> What's hard about recording a few keystrokes as a macro and and
>>> assigning them to a hot key ? Personally I find that VBA makes a
>>> lot of things easier.
>>>

>> What's hard about designing the application so it is easy to use?
>> We've got heaps of processing power, huge displays, and PCs continue
>> to confuse people and they are not getting any easier to use.

> Take a poll of 1000 people, and see if you can tell if there's an
> obvious paste default that will please everyone. Point is, Excel is
> infinitely customizable so that you're never stuck with what you think
> might be someone else's bad choice.

Why can't the app learn the user's behaviour, and offer to change the
default? If a user always pastes text unformatted in Calc, and never in
Writer, for example, why not notice that?

> [...]

> "PasteValues". Then copy all of that text.
>
> 4. At this point, your macro is available to use in the spreadsheet
> you're currently working with, but what you really want is to make it
> available "globally", no matter what spreadsheet you have open. That's
> what the "personal.xls" workbook is for, so locate that in the VBA
> projects window, right-click and then Insert | Module -- a new blank
> VBA module window will open. Paste the text from the macro you
> recorded here. Click "save" on the main toolbar, then close the VBA
> window.
>
> 5. From the Excel application window, go Tools | Macro | Macros and
> locate the macro you just created -- if your startup workbook is
> called "personal.xls" the macro would be called
> "Personal.xls!PasteValues". Click Options, and then enter the
> keystroke you want to use to activate the macro.

Bloody hell, I think you've made my point!

And now that you know how the process works, you can
> automate almost anything you want. Word works much the same way,
> except that standard commands like cut and paste (and 1000 others) can
> be accessed directly from the Customize menu and assigned whatever
> keystroke you want. If there's one thing about Excel that I'd want
> changed, it would that -- definitely less geeeky :)

OK, in Open Office, I just go Ctrl+Shift+V, U, Enter. That's standard,
out of the box, no customisation necessary. Seems quite easy to me :-)
Not being an Excel user, I have no idea if Excel does the same, but I
would have thought it did.

Choices are (when available, this is for pasting from a web page, and
there will be other choices depending on the situation):

Ctrl+Shift+V, H|H,H|U|L, Enter giving HTML Format|HTML format without
comments|Unformatted text|Link

========================
BTW Ctrl+Shift+V in Thunderbird pastes as quotation, which is sort of
what you'd expect given the context.

impossible 04-27-2006 03:52 AM

> OK, in Open Office, I just go Ctrl+Shift+V, U, Enter. That's
> standard, out of the box, no customisation necessary. Seems quite
> easy to me :-) Not being an Excel user, I have no idea if Excel does
> the same, but I would have thought it did.

Ctrl+Shift+V, U, Enter is not my idea of a keyboard "shortcut" -- the
equivalent in Excel would be Alt+E+S+V, Enter -- but if you're happy
remembering such things then by all means do so.

EMB 04-27-2006 05:30 AM

impossible wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <usually@mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>OK, in Open Office, I just go Ctrl+Shift+V, U, Enter. That's
>>standard, out of the box, no customisation necessary. Seems quite
>>easy to me :-) Not being an Excel user, I have no idea if Excel does
>>the same, but I would have thought it did.

> Ctrl+Shift+V, U, Enter is not my idea of a keyboard "shortcut" -- the
> equivalent in Excel would be Alt+E+S+V, Enter -- but if you're happy
> remembering such things then by all means do so.

Or spend 30 seconds creating a new keyboard shortcut to do a "Paste Special"

--
EMB