Velocity Reviews

-   -   The real solution to broadband in NZ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578382-the-real-solution-to-broadband-in-nz.html)

news.xtra.co.nz 04-11-2006 12:16 AM

The real solution to broadband in NZ...

Fibre optic is the way to go!!!

NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.

Rural areas can have wireless.

The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
service providers.

Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.

The long term benefits would be massive.

Crash 04-11-2006 12:31 AM

Re: The real solution to broadband in NZ...

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>
> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>
> Rural areas can have wireless.
>
> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
> service providers.
>
> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>
> The long term benefits would be massive.

I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
Exactly why is broadband so critical?

Crash.

Fred Dagg 04-11-2006 12:46 AM

Re: The real solution to broadband in NZ...

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
<jed@gospammonster.away> exclaimed:

>Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>
>NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>
>Rural areas can have wireless.
>
>The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
>service providers.
>
>Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
>enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>
>The long term benefits would be massive.

You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
and mine instead?

Stephen Williams 04-11-2006 12:48 AM

Re: The real solution to broadband in NZ...

> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>>
>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>>
>> Rural areas can have wireless.
>>
>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
>> service providers.
>>
>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>>
>> The long term benefits would be massive.

> I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
> Exactly why is broadband so critical?
>
> Crash.

How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives playing
WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think of broadband
as a necessity.

1. Water
2. Food
3. Shelter
4. Broadband

The long term benefits would be massive... files, you could download an
entire season at a time!

Steve

news.xtra.co.nz 04-11-2006 01:23 AM

"Crash" <notaname@notadomain.invalid> wrote in message
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>>
>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>>
>> Rural areas can have wireless.
>>
>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
>> service providers.
>>
>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>>
>> The long term benefits would be massive.

> I am genuinely interested in what it is that you base your suggestions on.
> Exactly why is broadband so critical?
>
> Crash.

I could tell you, but, the fact you even ask the question is indicative of
your foresight.

news.xtra.co.nz 04-11-2006 01:29 AM

"Fred Dagg" <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
> <jed@gospammonster.away> exclaimed:
>
>>Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>>
>>NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>>
>>Rural areas can have wireless.
>>
>>The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
>>service providers.
>>
>>Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
>>enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>>
>>The long term benefits would be massive.
>>

> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
> and mine instead?

yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a say
in the spending.

unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it to
othe people.

David 04-11-2006 01:51 AM

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Fred Dagg" <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
>> <jed@gospammonster.away> exclaimed:
>>
>>> Fibre optic is the way to go!!!
>>>
>>> NZ needs to start wiring up fibre to every household in urban areas.
>>>
>>> Rural areas can have wireless.
>>>
>>> The govt would obviously need to finance this. Then, sell the pipes to
>>> service providers.
>>>
>>> Broadband is now a critical infrastructure component. Since private
>>> enterprise are not providing this, it is the governments responsibility.
>>>
>>> The long term benefits would be massive.
>>>

>> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
>> and mine instead?

> yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a say
> in the spending.

No you don't. That's not a democracy.

> unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it to
> othe people.

People who might actually need it.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea 04-11-2006 03:00 AM

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> The govt would obviously need to finance this.

I can see the New Right morons shrieking about their taxes paying for your
broadband service.

And I can see Telecom rubbing its hands with glee at the prospect of
purchasing a cheap fibre optic network off the government.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

news.xtra.co.nz 04-11-2006 03:02 AM

"David" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> "Fred Dagg" <freddagg@dagg.com> wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:16:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
>>> <jed@gospammonster.away> exclaimed:

>>> You do realise that "the govt" doesn't have any money, they use yours
>>> and mine instead?

>> yes, and given that i pay more tax than most people I think I deserve a
>> say in the spending.
>>

> No you don't. That's not a democracy.
>
>> unfortunately, the govt is mostly intent on taking my money and giving it
>> to othe people.

> People who might actually need it.

As do many people who rely on my cash to support their drinking and gambling
habits.

As do many people whose long term lifestyles are dependent on squeezing as
much cash from the benefits system as possible.

Or , are you referring to the labour tv ad showing the rich family living in
an exclusive auckland suburb whose kids have ipods etc...?

Anyway, that is off topic. Those people will remain poor while NZ buries
it's head towards 3rd world status. In fact, many previously 3rd world
economies are now surpassing ours.

MarkH 04-11-2006 03:12 AM

Re: The real solution to broadband in NZ...

"Stephen Williams" <stevexc@hotmail.com> wrote in

> How else can we download our torrents and porn, and waste our lives
> playing WoW? You would think that 1/2 the people that post here think
> of broadband as a necessity.
>
> 1. Water
> 2. Food
> 3. Shelter
> 4. Broadband

Don't be silly!

You need Power too, otherwise your gadgets would not work.

1. Water
2. Food
3. Shelter
4. Power