Velocity Reviews

-   -   Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t578264-next-gen-dvds-blurry-picture.html)

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz 03-29-2006 04:05 AM

Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ign_id=bier_tc

GraB 03-29-2006 07:46 AM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:05:41 +1200, zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz wrote:

>Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture
>
>http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ign_id=bier_tc

There has been a number of threads on this subject in the aus.dvd
newsgroup, where many are predicting that the new formats will be dead
in the water. You won't be able to see the new format movies in their
full potential without significant investment in player and screen.

GraB 03-29-2006 07:53 AM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:05:41 +1200, zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz wrote:

>Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture
>
>http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ign_id=bier_tc

It is funny when you think about it but the measures taken to copy
protect new format DVDs will be what kills it.

If they quadrupled production of DVDs, including older titles, and
dropped the price to a third, which they could do, there would be no
need for piracy, which would be dealt a body blow, and also no need
for high expenditure on anti-copy measures.

I am continually frustrated by the unavailability of titles I want to
buy, that have been released in Zone 4. Many older titles are
released in a one-off short run so they sell out quickly, never to be
seen again.

news.xtra.co.nz 03-30-2006 12:36 AM

<zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz> wrote in message

> Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ign_id=bier_tc

IMHO , the studios will not incur the wrath of it's consumers. The studios
will not encode their products with this particular protection scheme,
especially since the people can afford widescreen high def sets are probably
their best customers too.

Don Hills 03-30-2006 02:25 AM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

In article <urek221129ungfhtjjmjdgjdi1vv7rsrru@4ax.com>,
GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:

>I am continually frustrated by the unavailability of titles I want to
>buy, that have been released in Zone 4. Many older titles are
>released in a one-off short run so they sell out quickly, never to be
>seen again.

That's for tax reasons - keeping old inventory for more than 12 months is
costly. The same thing applies to books, which is why you see so many
remaindered book sales - the distributors clear their warehouses of titles
more than 12 months old. That can work to your advantage, but you do have to
frequent the sales and pick up titles when you see them rather than when
would be most convenient for you.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

GraB 03-30-2006 04:00 AM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:25:56 +1200, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
Hills) wrote:

>In article <urek221129ungfhtjjmjdgjdi1vv7rsrru@4ax.com>,
>GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>I am continually frustrated by the unavailability of titles I want to
>>buy, that have been released in Zone 4. Many older titles are
>>released in a one-off short run so they sell out quickly, never to be
>>seen again.

>That's for tax reasons - keeping old inventory for more than 12 months is
>costly. The same thing applies to books, which is why you see so many
>remaindered book sales - the distributors clear their warehouses of titles
>more than 12 months old. That can work to your advantage, but you do have to
>frequent the sales and pick up titles when you see them rather than when
>would be most convenient for you.

When I say 'old titles' I don't mean ones that have been sitting
around for a while. I mean old movies that have been released on DVD,
such as a couple of favourites, The Last Valley and Too Late The Hero.
I have been told that certain shops had them for sale but they were
gone when I got there and I haven't seen them since. Clearly they
could sell a lot more old titles if they pressed enough to start with
instead of this nonsense some movie outfits practice at the moment.
But talk to the sales droids in these shops they will tell you 'no-one
wants old titles, they want the new stuff'. Don't they notice that
the old titles don't sit on the shelf but the new titles do?

I do as you say - always browsing various DVD outlets. Unfortunately,
at least here in Dunedin, Harvey Norman have decided to go out of
DVDs. I tried reasoning with the person in charge of that department,
that it was not a good idea, but to no avail (it brought people into
the shop, for one thing). But I picked up a few good titles like
Deliverance in their 30% off sale, for $12.95. I have picked a number
of good movies for as little as $5, including Virus, Men In Black II,
Blue Steel, etc. There ae some good movies in the Warehouse bargain
bins for under $15, like The X Files Movie, $12.63.

Don Hills 03-30-2006 10:00 AM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

In article <jnkm229o2gn770fod961al1i39imagu8tc@4ax.com>,
GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:

>I do as you say - always browsing various DVD outlets. Unfortunately,
>at least here in Dunedin, Harvey Norman have decided to go out of
>DVDs. I tried reasoning with the person in charge of that department,
>that it was not a good idea, but to no avail (it brought people into
>the shop, for one thing). But I picked up a few good titles like
>Deliverance in their 30% off sale, for $12.95. I have picked a number
>of good movies for as little as $5, including Virus, Men In Black II,
>Blue Steel, etc. There ae some good movies in the Warehouse bargain
>bins for under $15, like The X Files Movie, $12.63.

I second the Warehouse bins as a source - my wife has dozens of old classic
movies (most $6.99 to $9.99) that she found by rummaging in their bargain
bins. Sometimes the quality of the transfer is not the best, but since she
usually watches them on a 14" set it's not a big problem. Shopping around is
the best bet, for example "Howl's Moving Castle" by Hayao Miyazaki has just
been released in NZ. Everyone, including The Warehouse, has the plain
single-disc version for $24.95. The edition to look for is the 2-disk
version, it has sumptuous packaging and a raft of extras. Most places have
it for $34.95 but Whitcoulls have been selling it for $29.95...

I recommend Aro Video too (http://www.arovideo.co.nz). Even though we only
live 10 minutes from the shop we make considerable use of their online mail
order catalog. Every couple of weeks I download the contents of their
"Bargain Bin", Choice Cheapies", Limited Time" etc sections and compare them
against the previous download to produce a list of new additions. We then
peruse the list for interesting new titles. They have free shipping within
NZ, so it's easier to mail order than go to the shop. They're good at
communicating order progress and any delays or problems, and no hassle when
we had to exchange one disk that had been damaged in manufacture or packing.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

GraB 03-30-2006 03:35 PM

Re: Next-Gen DVDs' Blurry Picture

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:00:19 +1200, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
Hills) wrote:

>In article <jnkm229o2gn770fod961al1i39imagu8tc@4ax.com>,
>GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>I do as you say - always browsing various DVD outlets. Unfortunately,
>>at least here in Dunedin, Harvey Norman have decided to go out of
>>DVDs. I tried reasoning with the person in charge of that department,
>>that it was not a good idea, but to no avail (it brought people into
>>the shop, for one thing). But I picked up a few good titles like
>>Deliverance in their 30% off sale, for $12.95. I have picked a number
>>of good movies for as little as $5, including Virus, Men In Black II,
>>Blue Steel, etc. There ae some good movies in the Warehouse bargain
>>bins for under $15, like The X Files Movie, $12.63.

>I second the Warehouse bins as a source - my wife has dozens of old classic
>movies (most $6.99 to $9.99) that she found by rummaging in their bargain
>bins. Sometimes the quality of the transfer is not the best, but since she
>usually watches them on a 14" set it's not a big problem. Shopping around is
>the best bet, for example "Howl's Moving Castle" by Hayao Miyazaki has just
>been released in NZ. Everyone, including The Warehouse, has the plain
>single-disc version for $24.95. The edition to look for is the 2-disk
>version, it has sumptuous packaging and a raft of extras. Most places have
>it for $34.95 but Whitcoulls have been selling it for $29.95...
>
>I recommend Aro Video too (http://www.arovideo.co.nz). Even though we only
>live 10 minutes from the shop we make considerable use of their online mail
>order catalog. Every couple of weeks I download the contents of their
>"Bargain Bin", Choice Cheapies", Limited Time" etc sections and compare them
>against the previous download to produce a list of new additions. We then
>peruse the list for interesting new titles. They have free shipping within
>NZ, so it's easier to mail order than go to the shop. They're good at
>communicating order progress and any delays or problems, and no hassle when
>we had to exchange one disk that had been damaged in manufacture or packing.

Thanks for the link. I see "Witness" has finally appeared. Two DVDs
that are particularly bad in quality are "The Fall of the Roman
Empire" and the cheap version of "Zulu" (the other version is far
better, $39.95 at the time I received it, as a gift). Also, the
Aust-made Madman encoded version of the '71 classic "Walkabout" was
atrocious! I paid $29.95 at Whitcoulls for that but sent it back and
imported the Zone 2 version which is apparently the best:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/walkabout.htm

There is no excuse for such shoddy encoding. It is all the more
unacceptable as it was a classic 'Australian' movie. Unfortunately I
have struck other Madman encoded titles that are less than
satisfactory.

But I have been surprised at how good the majority of the cheapies I
have got are, playing them on my PC with 19" monitor.

Just browsing the bargains in that link, I see numerous titles for $15
or $12 that I have bought for $10 at the Warehouse, like Steel
Magnolias, and The Big Chill.